Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trying to decide what to purchase next. Analysis paralysis. Help, please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a geeklist for this, but I think the forums might be a better place for it. I've got about $185 in credit to use up at CSI. I want board games, but I don't know which ones I want. Usually I'm dead-set on games, but right now I'm just having trouble deciding which ones will be best for me. Here's the PRIMARY stuff I'm considering, though I'm open to other suggestions:

1. Earth Reborn
- I've wanted this for quite a while now. It looks really fun, and should have great replay value. We don't do a lot of two player direct combat stuff (Battlelore has spent a lot of time on the shelf) but this seems to have more than just combat, plus I'm a post-apocalyptic NUT.
2. Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (but I wonder about Civilization instead)
- I love Civilization (the computer game... all of them). While I'm aware that S.M. Civ the board game exists, this seems like a better game, and has a better geek average. I'm worried about the length, but if the game's good enough, that shouldn't be a HUGE problem.
3. Mage Knight: Board Game
- This one is really giving me trouble. It seems great. I love adventure games (Descent, Arkham Horror, etc.) and I love deckbuilding games (Dominion is a favorite). Fantasy is a huge winner in our house. That said, the length and complexity of this one is keeping me at bay. I worry about all the time sitting around due to AP on someone else's turn, plus, my understanding is that the rules are REALLY poorly put together. I'm worried that the high rating this has is all hype, and it will die down in a second printing.
4. 7 Wonders
- Don't have much to say. This isn't expensive, it's highly rated, and looks like something we'd like. I know pretty much nothing about it, but I trust the people who've told me it's good. I'll watch some BGG videos before pulling the trigger, though, so I know what I'm getting into.
5. Lords of Waterdeep
- I just started looking into this today. I think if I went with this one it would be instead of Mage Knight (though I'm well aware they're both very different games). I have Caylus, but it doesn't see much play, mainly because I need to relearn the rules before we can play it. This game looks like an easier, quicker version that's skinned with a theme I'd like.
6. Spirit of the Century (if by some chance there is enough money)
- It is extremely unlikely that there will be enough money

Obviously, I can't afford all of them, so, I guess what it comes down to is that I'm just not sure. I'm looking for opinions from people. Maybe it'll help if I list the favorite/go-to games for me and my wife (though you might get a better idea of our trends from my ratings in my collection, if you felt so inclined):

Me:
1. Dominion
2. Princes of Florence
3. Power Grid
4. Space Alert (but we just got it, so I may fall out of love)
5. Arkham Horror

Corrie:
1. Time's Up (and Time's Up Title Recall)
2. Dominion
3. Descent
4. Orient Express
5. Teams of Enemies

So that's the quick and dirty of the JesterPoet family likes, but the reality is we have a TON of games, and it's hard to keep track of what we love. Anything that is on my owned list is there for a reason, so I probably like it at least a little bit (with a few exceptions that are crappy old games I keep for sentimental value). Right now we're trying to play through our entire game collection because so much stuff has sat unplayed for so long. That's kind of helping out as well, but not fast enough.

Anyway, I'm just trying to decide what to go with. I'd be open to ANY and ALL suggestions, whether they're on the above list or not. If you do make suggestions, I'm also curious as to the "why" if you have time to explain. I'm fishing for ideas to break my analysis paralysis.

Thanks!

And the winner is=>1custom2{bob;mary} -> ( mary) -> mary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 183860. JesterPoet
  • 1custom2{grafpoo;mungsoo} =
  • ( mungsoo) =
  • mungsoo
  • Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 am
  • [+]
  • 183861. JesterPoet
  • 1custom2{bob;mary} =
  • ( mary) =
  • mary
  • Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:26 am
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list, I would say that if you're struggling to find time/desire to re-read the rules for Caylus, then avoid Mage Knight and Through the Ages, as both are quite complicated (in my opinion) in the rules department. However, they are both very worthy games. I didnt really like TTA - I preferred Sid Meier's Civilisation the Boardgame, which I thought was less abstracted and more direct. I could see my empire building up on the board.

I'd suggest Earth Reborn, 7 Wonders and Lords of Waterdeep from the ones you have suggested, if rules is really an issue. Gives a good mix of Theme and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS - Just had a look at your priority 1 options from your wishlist. If you like Dominion, I think you'd definitely like Eminent Domain - its been very popular at our club. From your list I would also recommend Alien Frontiers, Cosmic Encounter and Merchants and Marauders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm... maybe it's time to take another look at Civ.

Also, is Eminent Domain a worthy addition to Dominion? Is it worth having both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... my understanding is that the rules are REALLY poorly put together.

not true. you can download and read them yourself. the walkthrough is nicely presented, and you can pretty much start playing as you go along. but having said that, it's not a simple game at all.

Lords of Waterdeep is (a simple game). and it plays quickly, only 8 rounds. it's a game my wife enjoys, not too confrontational but still interactive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Anderson
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Eminent Domain is a different game than Dominion. I have Dominion and all its expansions, but I purchased Eminent Domain after a single play in a game group. Definitely worth having both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is very different from Dominion, but i would suggest Core Worlds over Eminent Domain. Its a little heavier, but better for it in my opinion. If interested inavery light deckbuilder, id recommend Ascension.

Lords of Waterdeep seems to have widespread appeal. Pretty safe choice in my opinion. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To put it really generically, Through the Ages is a eurogame and SMC:TBG is Ameritrash.

*runs*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is a fun and pretty quick game, and it's easy to learn. Not to mention that it plays up to 7 people, which comes in real handy when you've got a larger group that wants to play something together. It also seems to have a lot of replayability since the boards have 2 sides, the Leaders expansion adds more variability, and a variety of strategies can be used in game play.

Alien Frontiers is also a great game. It's been a big hit with my game group and people that like rolling dice really love it

Speaking of dice rolling, Troyes also seems to be a hit. It's another dice rolling/work placement game but without the area control that Alien Frontiers has.

And +1 to Merchants & Marauders. It's hard for me to put a finger on why my group likes this game so much, but for a longer game the time really goes fast. The down time is still interesting because you have to watch what the other players are doing and it offers a variety of strategies. Playing the pirate role has been fun each time even though I have yet to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranicus
United States
flag msg tools
Of the games on your list, I think you should really consider Mage Knight. Given that your preferences seem to reflect a love of deck building games (like Dominion) and thematic games (like Arkham Horror and Descent), this would seem to be a good fit. I do not think the praise for the game is hype. (There are some pretty good reviews out there from some seasoned gamers, e.g., you should check out Barne's review on Gameshark.) Nor, at least to my mind, is the complexity of this game much higher than Arkham Horror (which has many fiddly rules).

Through the Ages is also excellent. I would certainly recommend it over the Fantasy Flight civilization game. And, Earth Reborn has one of the most elegantly designed systems I have seen in a board game (although, I expect some might well argue it has more in common with a miniatures game). If you are concerned about complexity, however, I think Earth Reborn is at least as complex as Mage Knight. Anyway, any of these three excellent games would be worth purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love 7 Wonders. It is a ton of fun, easily playable, and totally different with 2 players than 3 or more, but fun either way. If you start out and continue to play two-player, expect a slightly bigger learning curve than if you learn how to play with 3, but the game is easy and flows well once you learn it.

As for Eminent Domain, my wife and I enjoy playing it as well as Dominion (which is arguably my wife's favorite game). It's much faster to set up and play, fun, and still leaves plenty of room for Dominion in our gaming diet. It has been requested several times recently

Cheers, and good luck!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Lords of Waterdeep this weekend.....IT IS GREAT!!! My wife, myself, and our 2 older sons had a blast playing all weekend.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:

I worry about all the time sitting around due to AP on someone else's turn, plus, my understanding is that the rules are REALLY poorly put together. [/size]

How many people do you usually play with? I find MK downtime to be fine with 2 or 3, and I play with a medium AP guy. But 4 would maybe be too much.
Point of reference: I think Dominion with 5 medium-AP people is fine, but 6 of these player types give me too much downtime. So MK with 3 = Dominion with 5? Beware: not exact science. robot

I don't think the rulebook is bad but maybe my standards are low. I thought the walkthrough worked really well.
The rules are pretty intuitive, I stopped looking up rules after my third play, and I'm normally quite forgetful...

Quote:
1. Earth Reborn
- We don't do a lot of two player direct combat stuff , plus I'm a post-apocalyptic NUT.

ER also scales well up to 4 players.

Quote:
2. Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (but I wonder about Civilization instead)
I'm worried about the length, but if the game's good enough, that shouldn't be a HUGE problem.

It is... Especially since you're accustomed to lengthy games like Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kirychuk
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know all the games you're considering, but my family and I sure like 7 Wonders. I also recommend Eminent Domain - definitely different enough from Dominion and quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Our dog was diagnosed with cancer, so you can imagine how crazy it has been around here.

Thanks for ALL the feedback. You've all really given me a lot to think about. I have some new items to consider, plus a lot to think about in regards to the old ones. Maybe I can find a few more old magic cards to sell and bring my total up high enough to buy all of them!

Ha! Wishful thinking!

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback and advice. You've helped me a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your dog. That's terrible. Hope the prognosis is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Merchants and Marauders and Sid Meier's Civ. They both scratch that Ameritrashy itch just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Sorry to hear about your dog. That's terrible. Hope the prognosis is good.

Thanks for the good wishes! Unfortunately, we weren't so lucky. They got the tumor out, but the cancer has spread A LOT. He'll recover, but we're looking at about two more months with him, and that's the end. He's only about 8, and the best dog I've ever had, which makes it really sad. But we're going to try to make it great for as long as it lasts. It's all you can do, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end all these threads end up with "buy them all!", so they aren't really that helpful =P

There most be some loyalty scheme going on with the board game industry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
In the end all these threads end up with "buy them all!", so they aren't really that helpful =P

Yeah... I'm starting to see that. However, while I don't have a better grasp of what to buy, I do have more information on all the games, and some new recommendations, so I think it has been successful overall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Yeah... I'm starting to see that. However, while I don't have a better grasp of what to buy, I do have more information on all the games, and some new recommendations, so I think it has been successful overall
I didn't knew the thread was old and was just trying to be funny

I've posted lots of similar questions myself but often someone say to buy them all / they are all good but different / all of them deserves to be in ones collection / whatever

And I guess they are right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Dominion then Puzzle Strike is a really fun take on that mechanic with special character abilities and a much better endgame. There's a new edition and expansion on Kickstarter now or you can probably get a good deal trading for the deluxe edition and upgrade pack (I have one to spare...).

But back to your Coolstuffinc credit the 2 games that will get the most play are Lords of Waterdeep and 7 Wonders. Both are light strategy and short playtime. Mage Knight is only for diehards who are willing to play solo to fully master the questing engine. Earth Reborn is a tactical mini game masquerading as a board game. I love post-apocalyptic games but I traded it after reading the backstory and then being disappointed in the lack of multiplayer and limited roster of characters (it boils down to Tannhauser with customizable scenarios and a more innovative action card system (although system trumps theme in this case).

Have you tried Dungeon Petz? If you like Space Alert and Power Grid then it's a fun game with theme and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
If you like Dominion then Puzzle Strike is a really fun take on that mechanic with special character abilities and a much better endgame. There's a new edition and expansion on Kickstarter now or you can probably get a good deal trading for the deluxe edition and upgrade pack (I have one to spare...).

But back to your Coolstuffinc but credit the 2 games that will get the most play are Lords of Waterdeep and 7 Wonders. Both are light strategy and short playtime. Mage Knight is only for diehards who are willing to play solo to fully master the questing engine. Earth Reborn is a tactical mini game masquerading as a board game. I love post-apocalyptic games but I traded it after reading the backstory and then being disappointed in the lack of multiplayer and limited roster of characters (it boils down to Tannhauser with customizable scenarios and a more innovative action card system (although system trumps theme in this case).

Have you tried Dungeon Petz? If you like Space Alert and Power Grid then it's a fun game with theme and strategy.

Huh... I'm really going to have to think about Earth Reborn. I'm not sure how badly I want something that just boils down to a tactical minis game. Then again, I might. I'll have to look through the videos and see if there's some actual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Mage Knight is only for diehards who are willing to play solo to fully master the questing engine. Earth Reborn is a tactical mini game masquerading as a board game. I love post-apocalyptic games but I traded it after reading the backstory and then being disappointed in the lack of multiplayer and limited roster of characters (it boils down to Tannhauser with customizable scenarios and a more innovative action card system (although system trumps theme in this case).

Hmm. I don't think you need to fully master Mage Knight's questing engine to have fun with it. (Just like you don't have to fully master Race for the Galaxy or Dominion to have fun.)

I somewhat agree it's a "diehard" game, certainly a gamer's game and 3 new players can spend 4-4.5 hours on it.

Not sure what you mean about Earth Reborn's lack of multiplayer, it plays 2-4 and I think it's at least as good with 3/4 as it is with 2. (It creates plenty of table talk and fun mini-narratives, at least with my group, and the mechanics are definitely designed for 2-4 players.)

It's true there's a limited roster of characters and yes you need to be aware you're mainly buying a tactical minis game. Although it's one where your victory conditions are often completely unrelated to killing the other team, even unrelated to your own survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking "Tactical Minis" game like battletech, like battlelore, or like descent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.