Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and thanks for looking at my post.

I stumbled upon Heroscape by accident while searching for HeroQuest information. Now I am intrigued by HS and have a few questions before jumping in.

The prices for stuff on ebay seem resonable for the basic stuff. However, I don't want to dump hundreds of dollars into HS right off the bat.
From what I have read more than one set is needed to reach full potential.
What should I be looking at to begin with?

I have a 5 year old that would be into the figures for sure.
Are the basic rules easy enough that he could play with some assistance?

Anything you would suggest to do or not do, buy or not buy, bewarenof etc?

Thanks, for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkyrie base set is fine; he can play basic easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I'm glad i saw your post, because it's made me reflect on my own Heroscape experiences. I just dug out some of my old sets last week, and after looking at all of them, I realized "Man, what would I possibly think if I was just getting into Heroscape NOW." ha ha.

I bought the first master set as soon as it came out (Fall 2004) and managed to get everything 'scape related except those Flagbearer things, two rip-off boosters from the second wave..and that blasted jungle set (I'm still kicking myself over that one).

Enough about me though....

Well, opinions will differ on what "the basic stuff" is. In other words, I don't know what aspect of the game hits you the most.

If you just want to hop right into the game, frankly, you can't go wrong with Master Set 1: Rise of the Valkryie. They got it all right on that one. It's got plenty of tiles and lots of great figures.

Look, with all those boosters floating around out there, it's tempting to want to scoop them all up, but trust me, there's more than enough in that first master set alone to keep you occupied for a long time.

The second master set (Swarm of the Marro) is ok...but it's got about two thirds of what's in the first one, plus it's built more around a specefic theme.

The third master set (the dungeons and dragons one) is built for two players only, and is a nice distillation of the game into a D and D format, but again, it's puny compared to that ROTV, which, when you consider that Hasbro NEVER put out a generic tile-set expansion for map builders, is the one-stop-shop you've got to have.

Also:

If the offical site is still out there, plunder that for all the printible "offical bonus scenarios" (I'm sort of an ogre about only playing "offical" rules), but making up your own is a snap as well.

As for the basic game, it's very playable for kids. You just take out all the specal powers and fiddly rules about climbing and height. You move and attack...any attack that gets through will kill.

To hasbro's credit, they never gave up on the basic game aspect of Heroscape. To be honest, they threw in game scenarios for the basic game that were just as intresting as the "master game".

And to be honest, even the "master game" is understandable enough (especially when just using the core figures from the first master set) that once your kids get even just a bit older, they'll be able to understand it.

As for the boosters...well...that's a tougher question. The obsessive part of me would reccomend that if you're intrested you find them in order of relese, but that might be annoying to do.

Just picking them up randomly, as found on ebay, might be eaiser, but be warned, there are a few boosters out there that worked better in conjunctions with other figs, and that's a hard thing to play into if you're just grabbing them.

But as mentioned, there's more than enough in the ROTV set to keep you playing Heroscape for a long time.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wave 1, 8, and the three D&D waves are still available at a fair price.
I would suggest you buy some of those first.
Wave 1 is a good "beginner wave". You will get synergy with some of the existing units, while the rest of the miniatures in the set kind of compliment each other.
Wave 8 is kind of a mixed bag. The Marro cavalry is fairly expensive to field on the board. The soldiers and wolves are pretty fun units though. Of the 2 unique blisters, the one with Elves is a good one, if you like a themed army, while the other has an odd mix of characters. You will probably not be using all of them unless you also manage to get the proper units to work with them.
The D&D waves are all pretty good, in my opinion. The powers on some of the units are slightly more complex than earlier waves, but they stay within the basic formula and are all worth getting.

Generally, for casual play, you would want 1 set of unique blisters and 2 sets of the common blisters. You might want to skip any cavalry units though, as they are probably the units that are most difficult to get proper value out of on the battlefield.

EDIT:
Here is a link to a nice file containing all official units:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/downloads.php?do=file&i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would third getting the Rise of the Valkyrie master set and possibly Wave 1. That'll last you quite a while and not break your wallet in the process. If you decide you like it enough, then you can start accumulating the other sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have a lot of fun with your little guy playing heroScape with the basic rules. It is very accessable with a little support and you will soon be introducing the advanced rules a little at a time.
Definately start with the Rise of the Valkyrie master set. It is the best of everything heroScape and you will not be dissapointed.
The best next step is definately the Swarm of the Marrow master set as it will give you a new terrain type and a lot of figures and will introduce common figures to you.
After that if you want to expand I would recommend that you follow your interests. Do a little research and pick from what works for you and what is available/affordable.
The Wave 1 figures work very will with the Rise of the Valkyrie master set and they are very easy to find and affordable. Many people will suggest Wave 1 as the next step after buying Rise of the Valkyrie and I would agree that that is a good direction to go.
If you are interested in creating more interesting and dynamic maps I think the Road to the Forgotten Forest is the best terrain expansion.
The Battle for the Underdark Master set is really best treated as a terrain expansion with a few figures and in that light it is a great expansion too. Not where I would recommend you start with heroScape but it will give you the rules and everything you need to play and you may be able to find it in stores at a good price still so it will work. Won't have nearly the wow factor of the Rise of the Valkyrie master set though which is huge for the little one. Dragons, Dinosaurs, giant robots, Vikings, Soldiers, Samurai, and much more. How could you go wrong?
If you want more figures pick and choose what interests you and what goes well with what you already have either strategically or thematically, depending on what is important to you. If you buy commons, always buy 2 or more of the same common pack because with very few exceptions you will be missing the whole point of the common squad if you only have one. Better to get two the same than two differnt, even though the temptation for more variety might drive you the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific feedback. Thank you. I will be on the hunt for the master set to start with and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went looking for official downloads and stuff a while back. The official site seems to be gone, but I found everything I was looking for (and more than that) at Heroscapers.com. Great resource — though I warn you, it's hard not to go toppling headlong down this rabbit hole. You'll know you need to ease back a bit when you start thinking to yourself that $200 for the Aquilla's Alliance large figure set is really pretty reasonable compared to some of the other prices for it out there.

Best price for the available booster sets I've seen is MiniatureMarket.com — they have full sets of Wave 1, 8 and D1-3 for $25 each. That's more than half off retail, and they have the first large figure pack for $15 (I think I've seen it for less elsewhere). AuggiesGamesOnline.com has a lot of single figures and squads from throughout the run. I haven't ordered from the store, though.

I'd definitely agree you should go for RotV first, then Marro, then Underdark. I like all three, and have two of RotV and one each of the other two (though I wouldn't mind having one more each of them), two castle sets and a road set. Someday I might get more (I'd really like some lava and ice terrain for variety — the jungle looks nice but to my mind doesn't seem to add much, especially at the prices it goes for), but for now, with all the boosters I have, that seems like plenty. You might want to check around for people willing to trade and sell their old Heroscape stuff — you can find some decent deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to echo what others have said.

Rise of the Valkyrie first
Wave 1 second. Maybe buy 2 while you are at it.
Swarm of the Marro third

If you try and accumulate extra boosters, generally go in order of the wave. The earlier waves are generally better and have more synergies.

Also, skip the basic game and go straight to the regular. Read the cards to your son and he will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a RotV Master Set off Craigslist for $20. Keep an eye out on Craigslist.

Don't be picky. If you see Scape at a reasonable price, snatch it up.

Also if you haven't been to www.heroscapers.com you're missing out.

Welcome aboard, have fun!

I don't know where you live but I highly recommend checking out your local competitive scene, if there is one. Tournament 'Scape is not like tournament anything else; trust me, I know. Relaxed, competitive, family friendly, it's awesome. You'll be able to find a local scene, if you have one, at 'Scapers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 4 and he can handle the basic game with little help from me.

I have an unplayed RotV set on the current flea market list. GM me with an offer if you like. I'd love to trade it for something on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It came today! So cool. We started building the first scape this evening and he is so excited to play. So am I and I can already see myself peering down the rabbit hole. I'm going to hop over to heroscapers.com and do a little research as I have no idea what a wave is or much else for that matter.

Thanks again for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
It came today! So cool. We started building the first scape this evening and he is so excited to play. So am I and I can already see myself peering down the rabbit hole. I'm going to hop over to heroscapers.com and do a little research as I have no idea what a wave is or much else for that matter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

HeroScapers is absolutely the best place to learn about the game, but there is a fair amount of info here too. There's a family link that lets you see all the related folders as a group: HeroScape Family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game, Jeff! A 'wave' is an expansion release, consisting of four blister packs of figures (you may see 'x.5' waves referred to which are single boxes of large figures, but that's not how the term's generally used). The expansions introduced common squads, that is, squads that were designed to be used in multiples. (The squads in ROTV are all unique squads, but the second master set has commons included).

I'm going out of my way to mention this because Troll and Toad is having a sale on Wave 1:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p332986.html

It contains the Grut Orcs pack and the Roman Legion pack (among others), which are two popular common squads, and the price can't be beat. Now is the time to pick up one, or perhaps better, a few. (I have nothing to do with T&T, they just happen to have a very good price on this right now and supplies may be running out before too long!)

Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the Valkyrie starter, Road to the Forgotten Forest, and Orm's Return for $60 at a game store swap meet a couple weeks ago. The stuff's still out there for cheap if you're persistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
I'm going out of my way to mention this because Troll and Toad is having a sale on Wave 1:

It contains the Grut Orcs pack and the Roman Legion pack (among others), which are two popular common squads, and the price can't be beat. Now is the time to pick up one, or perhaps better, a few.

That is a great price (although I haven't looked at the shipping cost, which tends to be high from T&T). For the new players who are considering this, I would make two points:

1) The Wave 1 squad units are absolutely perfect for building upon Rise of the Valkyrie - they have synergies with units from that master set (meaning the units work particularly well together).

2) If you're going to buy, I'd counsel you to get at least 2 sets, or skip it. Common squad units are only truly useful in combination, so while a single set gives you more variety, the single squads won't show their true worth.

If you can afford 2 sets (or even better, 3 or 4), you'll be very happy with the squads, but if you're going to buy only 1 expansion box, I'd recommend that you buy instead one of the large figure sets or a terrain set.

Following that line of reasoning, note that when you buy the Swarm of the Marro expansion, you get two sets of each of the common squads included. (The reason you don't see this in HS:RotV is that there were no common squads in Rise of the Valkyrie).

Anyway, that's my sermon. Buy common squads in multiples, or don't buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That link is to D&D wave 1 although the description lists the units included with Wave 1. The obvious question is, Are these the same set or do they have their description wrong?

puzzlemonkey wrote:
Welcome to the game, Jeff! A 'wave' is an expansion release, consisting of four blister packs of figures (you may see 'x.5' waves referred to which are single boxes of large figures, but that's not how the term's generally used). The expansions introduced common squads, that is, squads that were designed to be used in multiples. (The squads in ROTV are all unique squads, but the second master set has commons included).

It contains the Grut Orcs pack and the Roman Legion pack (among others), which are two popular common squads, and the price can't be beat. Now is the time to pick up one, or perhaps better, a few. (I have nothing to do with T&T, they just happen to have a very good price on this right now and supplies may be running out before too long!)

Hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are NOT the same set. The "D&D" in this description is in error. This is Wave 1, "Mallidon's Prophecy," containing the Romans, Gruts, etc. (Mine arrived Saturday, so I can confirm that they're shipping the real Wave 1 ) D&D Wave 1 is also known as Wave 11, "Champions of the Forgotten Realms."

Pojopep wrote:
That link is to D&D wave 1 although the description lists the units included with Wave 1. The obvious question is, Are these the same set or do they have their description wrong?

puzzlemonkey wrote:

Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ron. I will order mine here in a few. Are the other waves MM has on clearance something I should pick up now?

I also have a bid in on ebay for the Fortress. Things are looking good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
Thanks Ron. I will order mine here in a few. Are the other waves MM has on clearance something I should pick up now?

I also have a bid in on ebay for the Fortress. Things are looking good.

Waves 8, 11, and 13 are good waves to get two of at Miniature Market right now while you can at the clearance price. Also get one copy of Orm's Return at clearance.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/has42654-0000.html

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hscape-wave11.html

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hscape-wave13.html

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/has42623-0007.html

Nothing wrong with Wave 12 either (it has heroes that work well with the other waves), I'm just trying to take it from a minimalist approach (haha) before you're so far down that rabbit hole you can't get out. If that's not a concern, obviously jump on Wave 12 as well while it's available, let alone cheap to do so.

The above would be by far your best bang for the buck option, but you will end up doubling up on some extra "unique" heroes -- Can't be helped when buying multiple waves, but it's not necessarily a bad thing when you and the opponent each want to play the same figure. Also, they make for good proxies for figures you don't have yet because all the cards can be printed out from the links provided at heroscapers.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thrifted 3 base sets, some extra terrain, and the D&D base set over the last few months...was only $20 vested in the game. I enjoyed it so much I jumped on that Minature Market sale mentioned above and bought 2 booster sets from waves 1,8,11,12 & 13. At $7.20 a booster (not the set) I felt like it was a real steal, even more so when my flgs has these same sets a plenty but at $19.99 each.

So, thanks for that tip, can't wait to really join all the fun that others have been having for years now.

Glad to see the game has such a helpful crowd w/ it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.