Popular Tags: [View All]
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally had an opportunity to sneak away to the friendly local game store (hereinafter FLGS) to play some Warmachine tonight. I frequently go to the FLGS, but seldom to play. Prior to playing there tonight, the last time I had been there to play was July of 2011. It is not that I don’t have time to game, because I do, it is just that the time I have open to game happens to be after the FLGS is closed. If I ever run a game store, that place is going to be open after 9 P.M on weekdays, and after 7 P.M. on Saturdays. So instead of playing Warmachine, I frequently paint Warmachine models. As such, I have amassed a little collection spanning 2 factions. By my calculations, I have painted 17.2 points of models for every single game of Warmachine I have ever played (that is 15 games for the curious).

So tonight I decided to try out an army that I had never played before. When I first got into Warmachine, I started with Cygnar. Shortly thereafter, I decided to dabble into a second faction, that way I would be equipped to run demo games. At the time, while knowing very little about the game, I had decided that Amon Ad-Raza would make a great sparring partner for Coleman Stryker. I decided that I would build and paint his theme force, because I thought Idrians were cool (a feeling I still hold to this day). I finished painting the army in February of 2011, but never played it, instead focusing on my Cygnar whenever the opportunity to play presented itself. I decided tonight would be different. No matter what, I was going to play the Wanderers of the Faith.

When I arrived at the FLGS there were 3 games of Warmachine taking place. I had called ahead to make sure folks were there playing, since I had blindly gone there in the past on Warmachine night only to find the place was empty). I quickly found someone willing to game. The store was closing in an hour and a half, so I suggested we play 35 points with timed turns, and do a steamroller scenario. At this point I should state that out of my 15 games of Warmachine played, 8 of them have been in tournaments with timed turns and scenarios. At the FLGS, no scenario and no time limits are the norm. I wanted to shake things up a bit and make sure we finished before the store closed.

The Wanderers of the Faith theme force practically builds itself at 35 points. I think it really needs a 50 points to come into its own. It is doable at 35, but far from optimal (assuming it ever is optimal at all). I don’t think you could really do it at 25 points. So I have Amon. To make Tier 2 I have 2 min. units of Idrians, both with UAs (one of the UAs is free thanks to the Tier bonus. I also have 4 Allegiants. I could take just 3 and still get the Tier 3 perk of advance deploying them, but I have a feeling that I should try and maximize the benefits given to me by the Theme Force. I also decided to reach Tier 4 by taking 2 Vigilants and 2 Dervishes, so each one starts the game with a focus. At this point, I still have 2 points left, so I went with a Reclaimer, because I think he looks sweet.

So, to recap:
Amon Ad-Raza (6)
Dervish 4
Dervish 4
Vigilant 4
Vigilant4
Idrian min 6
UA 3
Idrian min 6
UA free
Allegiant 2
Allegiant 2
Allegiant 2
Allegiant 2
Reclaimer 2

I was playing against Cryx. In fact every time I have played at this FLGS, it had been against Cryx, despite playing against different people. As an aside, I don’t really care for using the term “meta” interchangeably with “store” or “local area.” I submit that instead of “meta” we should adopt a new term like “zeitgeist” or “gestalt” to use in its place. So I was facing Bane and Bile Thralls, with BLT. EGoreshade was the ‘caster, and he had a Leviathan and a Slayer in his battlegroup. There was also a Pistol Wraith and some scrapthralls.

We were playing the first Steamroller mission, where you have to control a zone on your opponent’s side of the table while having your ‘caster in a zone. The table was very sparsely dotted with terrain. One small hill, 3 small walls, and a small pool of shallow water near the middle of the table. Maybe it is the baggage I bring with me from other game systems, or maybe it is just this FLGS and the two different tournaments I have been to, but does anyone play this game with terrain? Admittedly, nearly everything in my army either has or can have pathfinder, and most of my infantry receive an enhanced benefit from concealment or cover, but I’d love to play on a table that maybe had a forest or some buildings, just once.

I opted to go second, which in retrospect was a mistake, since I have 2 units of Idrians and 4 solos that advance deploy. Had I gone first, I would’ve plopped down Amon, his 4 ‘jacks, and the Reclaimer and then said “done.” He had his Bile Thralls and a Pistol Wraith on his left flank. Towards the Center he had his Leviathan, BLT and Goreshade, then came the Banes in the center/right, with the Slayer on his right. The Scrapthralls were in the back. They played no part in the battle, I was told they were fodder for Goreshade’s feat (which was never used).

I put a unit of Idrians on each flank. I put 2 Allegiants on my far left, and 2 in left/center. I wanted to try and keep them away from the Bile Thralls, which I assessed were his easiest way of dealing with them. I put the Reclaimer behind the Idrian unit that was across from the Bile Thralls. My ‘jacks were in the middle around Amon, in sort of a chevron with the Vigilants leading and the Dervishes trailing on the sides. My idea was to have the Vigilants take the first hits and maybe tie some stuff up. I had one unit of Idrians prey the Banes, and the other prey the Biles. My thought was that I wanted to put prey on something I knew he was going to be coming at me with.

On his first turn he put Occultation on the Bile Thralls. That made me sad. He ran all of his stuff up.

On my first turn, I had all of the Allegiants assume the shifting sands stance and then advance . Amon cast Synergy and Mobility, then charged BLT to get 3 more inches of movement. The ‘jacks ran an amazing 14 inches, passing Amon and forming a protective layer around him. Mobility is a sweet spell. The Idrians on my left cautiously advanced. I had planned on doing the whole “run then go to ground” thing, but I didn’t want to get too close and get charged on his next turn, and he really wasn’t going to be shooting at me. With the Idrians across from the Bile Thralls I was a little perplexed. Since they had stealth, it was going to be very difficult for me to get the drop on them as I had originally planned. So they just stood there. The reclainer moved closer to the ‘jacks, but kept most of the Idrians in his CMD.

On his second turn, he charged 3 of my ‘jacks with the Banes and BLT. The end result was a wrecked Dervish and a Vigilant with its movement system destroyed. The Bile Thralls moved up. The Pistol Wraith killed an Idrian, but the Reclaimer was too far away to benefit.

During the maintenance phase of my second turn, I decided Amon was going to use his feat, so I let Synergy lapse. My initial plan at the beginning of the game was to pretend that Amon didn’t have a feat, so I wouldn’t get bogged down and run into time issues while trying to maximize it, but I couldn’t resist. I thought I could get some ‘jacks into Goreshade with the benefit of Mobility. The first thing I did was have the Allegiants advance (under shifting sands stance) into some Banes to tie them up and keep them from reinforcing the scrum in the middle. Then I wasted a bunch of time at the beginning of my turn messing around with the Idrians. I had those on my left shoot at the Banes. The prey game them additional movement to get within the 5” range I needed. Some died, but some persisted thanks to tough. The Idrians across from the Biles were just outside of 10”. Prey is neat for being able to measure and get an idea of range. So I ran the Idrians away from the Biles, towards the middle. Amon was up next, but first I had to use my 3 minutes time extension. He popped his feat, cast Synergy, then Mobility, then advanced over to the wrecked Dervish to thresher the Banes standing there. I killed 2, but the 3rd remained, thanks to tough. In retrospect, while typing this, it seems odd to me that it took me 3 minutes to do that, but it did. My time expired. I had the ‘jacks with 2 focus each, under the effects of Mobiliy and Synergy, unactivated. However, I did earn a control point.

On his 3rd turn, he won fairly easily. He had a Bile Thrall come over and explode, taking care of the Allegiants tying up the Banes. The Banes and Tartarus charged into Amon and quickly killed him. And thus ended my first game as a Menite, and my 15th Warmachine game overall

Thoughts:

I think I play my casters too aggressively. I realize that I need to protect them, but at the same time I need Amon to be killing stuff to build Synergy and I need him forward to project his control area ahead so that the ‘jacks will benefit from Synergy

I really find Bile Thralls annoying. I’m not quite sure how to deal with them when playing this list, especially when they have stealth. Yes, I realize I could run a Vanquisher, but then I’d be cutting into the number of ‘jacks that could build synergy, but it is not like 4 ‘jacks is really all that much to begin with. Maybe a Redeemer? I don’t know. I don’t really want to build the list to counter one specific thing, but past experience would tell me that if I am playing at this FLGS again, I’ll be facing Bile Thralls.

In the future, at 35 points, I’m going to change things around. I’m not entirely sold on the Reclaimer. In order for him to work in this list, He needs to hang out around the Idrians, who are going to be on the flanks, while my jacks are going to be in the middle. So he would need to babysit them until a few died, then book it over to some jacks to load them up, assuming he is still alive. I think the Reclaimer would work best with the Zealots, but I don’t really see them in the 35 point list, or even the 50 for that matter.I think the next time I’ll take the 2 points he frees up and upgrade one of my light ‘jacks into a Crusader. Now that I think about it, I might paint up the other two Crusaders I have sitting around (don’t ask) and run 3 Crusaders instead of 4 lights and a Reclaimer. The Tier 4 benefit isn’t really all that great. It does allow me to cast both Mobility and Synergy on the first turn, but I only really need Mobility on the first turn, which I could cast and then still have 4 focus to hand out for running ‘jacks. I think the Reclaimer would work best with the Zealots, but I don’t really see them in the 35 point list, or even the 50 for that matter.

I really liked the Allegiants. I’ll be keeping the 4 of them. But for the purging Bile Thrall, they might have actually done something cool.

What I learned:
1. When you have a bunch of stuff that advance deploys, you might want to go first.
2. I might not want to make stealth enemies my prey target.
3. Prey lets you measure 10” toward your prey target. The information received from this measurement can be very helpful.
4. Maybe I should play an army under more relaxed conditions to get a feel for activation order and such before trying it out in the crucible of timed turns.
5. Mobility is awesome. Synergy requires finesse, and maybe isn’t as cool as I thought.

I’ve you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up. I know 35 is a bit tough to fit all you'd like in a theme force, but a Vanquisher and a Vassal of Menoth can really wreck those stealthy Cryxian chumps. Hope you get more games in, I've found Warmachine to be a blast to play, especially with the Steamroller 2012 rules and timed turns to make it a bit more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you won't mind if an old Menite makes a few comments

Devon Harmon wrote:
The Wanderers of the Faith theme force practically builds itself at 35 points. I think it really needs a 50 points to come into its own. It is doable at 35, but far from optimal (assuming it ever is optimal at all).

It's good that you understand this. The theme force has severe tradeoffs associated with it and you further recognize that those tradeoffs are dependent on the size of the list. Personally, I find Amon's theme list to be very disappointing. I've loved Amon since MkI when he really wasn't that popular - so I wanted him to get a cool theme. As a general caster, he got significantly better, but his theme is a mismatch. "Hey, what if we took a jack caster and then made it really hard for him to take the jacks he wanted to by giving him a lot of mandatory stuff to hog the points and forbidding Choirs?"

It does indeed work better at higher points, simply because you have more room left over after the high amount of mandatory models, but it's still not ideal I think. Also, to make those UA's worthwhile you need to max the units, which means still more points not going to jacks and still no Choirs.

The Reclaimer is a good choice to round out the list, you have enough troops to benefit from his focus collecting. Nor do I find any fault with your jack choices, given the constraints you're operating under.

Devon Harmon wrote:
So I was facing Bane and Bile Thralls, with BLT. EGoreshade was the ‘caster, and he had a Leviathan and a Slayer in his battlegroup. There was also a Pistol Wraith and some scrapthralls.

Probably fewer people here are familiar with nicknames and abbreviations compared to the Privateer Press forums, so that's Bane Lord Tartarus. It's a fairly standard looking list.

Bile thralls will wreck infantry, these should be your primary targets for the Idrians shooting. If for any reason you cannot shoot them, you can either stay away or engage them in melee which will prevent them from Purging. Banes will hurt your jacks, so you want to keep the jacks clear until you can deliver a decisive blow on them, or use the Idrians/Allegiants. Tartarus is of course high priority.

Devon Harmon wrote:
The table was very sparsely dotted with terrain. One small hill, 3 small walls, and a small pool of shallow water near the middle of the table. Maybe it is the baggage I bring with me from other game systems, or maybe it is just this FLGS and the two different tournaments I have been to, but does anyone play this game with terrain? Admittedly, nearly everything in my army either has or can have pathfinder, and most of my infantry receive an enhanced benefit from concealment or cover, but I’d love to play on a table that maybe had a forest or some buildings, just once.

It's not just you, that sounds sparse to me too. I would consider a more typical table to have 2-3 hills, 2-3 forests, maybe a building or two, and a few assorted walls. Water can replace for any one of the other terrain elements. Is there a reason you cannot suggest adding some more terrain or take part in setting up the table?

Devon Harmon wrote:
I opted to go second, which in retrospect was a mistake, since I have 2 units of Idrians and 4 solos that advance deploy. Had I gone first, I would’ve plopped down Amon, his 4 ‘jacks, and the Reclaimer and then said “done.”

Agreed. But now you know how to do it better next time so it was worth the price.

Devon Harmon wrote:
He had his Bile Thralls and a Pistol Wraith on his left flank. Towards the Center he had his Leviathan, BLT and Goreshade, then came the Banes in the center/right, with the Slayer on his right. The Scrapthralls were in the back. They played no part in the battle, I was told they were fodder for Goreshade’s feat (which was never used).

I put a unit of Idrians on each flank. I put 2 Allegiants on my far left, and 2 in left/center. I wanted to try and keep them away from the Bile Thralls, which I assessed were his easiest way of dealing with them.

I don't know how many Biles he had, but I would recommend taking them out aggressively rather than avoiding them. Occultation is an obvious move, but you can still move up and shoot (their DEF is bad enough that you don't really need an aiming bonus much) or run to engage if it looks feasible.

Devon Harmon wrote:
On my first turn, I had all of the Allegiants assume the shifting sands stance and then advance . Amon cast Synergy and Mobility, then charged BLT to get 3 more inches of movement. The ‘jacks ran an amazing 14 inches, passing Amon and forming a protective layer around him. Mobility is a sweet spell. The Idrians on my left cautiously advanced. I had planned on doing the whole “run then go to ground” thing, but I didn’t want to get too close and get charged on his next turn, and he really wasn’t going to be shooting at me. With the Idrians across from the Bile Thralls I was a little perplexed. Since they had stealth, it was going to be very difficult for me to get the drop on them as I had originally planned. So they just stood there.

Amon may be too far up front, hard to say without pics to see where everything was and what terrain was around. Remember that Stealth only makes you miss if you're more than 5" away, you can move up and shoot to get around it, or run to engage. Biles have no melee and will die hideously to free strikes. The danger is having Curse of Shadows cast on you which can lose you the unit. This can be mitigated by operating in waves so you can trade the front Idrians for the Biles, or trying to make it harder for him to afford the focus (he will need to boost to hit if you're in melee, which you should be). The extra Prey movement can help a lot to get close enough to counter Occultation.

Devon Harmon wrote:
On his second turn, he charged 3 of my ‘jacks with the Banes and BLT. The end result was a wrecked Dervish and a Vigilant with its movement system destroyed.

This is definitely a major error. It may be unavoidable to let him attack one jack, but three of them is nearly game. If you find you need to draw enemies out (which happens a lot) it's generally best to bait them with moderate amount of material like one jack. Then he has to choose between smashing the jack and getting countercharged by more forces, or NOT attacking the jack and letting the single jack get the charge on him.

Devon Harmon wrote:
Amon was up next, but first I had to use my 3 minutes time extension. He popped his feat, cast Synergy, then Mobility, then advanced over to the wrecked Dervish to thresher the Banes standing there. I killed 2, but the 3rd remained, thanks to tough. In retrospect, while typing this, it seems odd to me that it took me 3 minutes to do that, but it did. My time expired. I had the ‘jacks with 2 focus each, under the effects of Mobiliy and Synergy, unactivated. However, I did earn a control point.

Even if you hadn't run out of time, it sounds like the jacks were messed up enough by this point that your feat wouldn't have had the full impact anyway (unless you could get his caster of course). As your first game with Amon it's natural for things to go a bit slowly. Next time you'll know what you want to do. Synergy + Mobility will generally allow a pretty nasty beatdown with your jacks. If you're concerned with time work on prioritizing the models. Amon, then jacks. Other models only as needed to clear lanes or otherwise solve problems for the jacks. AFTER the jacks, everyone else can go performing cleanup or just running to protect the jacks who are going to be in a dangerous (for both sides) position at this point.

Devon Harmon wrote:
I think I play my casters too aggressively. I realize that I need to protect them, but at the same time I need Amon to be killing stuff to build Synergy and I need him forward to project his control area ahead so that the ‘jacks will benefit from Synergy

I would agree - Amon is usually going to operate as more of a support caster (and really this is true of nearly all Menite casters). Amon doesn't really need to kill anything for Synergy as his jacks will build Synergy on their own. Another +1 is nice, but not as important as staying alive. The more jacks, the bigger the bonus.

Devon Harmon wrote:
I really find Bile Thralls annoying. I’m not quite sure how to deal with them when playing this list, especially when they have stealth. Yes, I realize I could run a Vanquisher, but then I’d be cutting into the number of ‘jacks that could build synergy, but it is not like 4 ‘jacks is really all that much to begin with. Maybe a Redeemer? I don’t know. I don’t really want to build the list to counter one specific thing, but past experience would tell me that if I am playing at this FLGS again, I’ll be facing Bile Thralls.

Take heart - a lot of players find Biles too expensive. USUALLY they drop like flies to shooting, so only casters that can grant Stealth or something comparable will likely use them. Their ARM is decent but AOEs will certainly help - especially with Infuse. Also, understand that they cost a lot of points. It's OK if they kill some of your stuff just as long as you're getting a roughly even trade out of it.

Devon Harmon wrote:
In the future, at 35 points, I’m going to change things around. I’m not entirely sold on the Reclaimer. In order for him to work in this list, He needs to hang out around the Idrians, who are going to be on the flanks, while my jacks are going to be in the middle. So he would need to babysit them until a few died, then book it over to some jacks to load them up, assuming he is still alive. I think the Reclaimer would work best with the Zealots, but I don’t really see them in the 35 point list, or even the 50 for that matter.I think the next time I’ll take the 2 points he frees up and upgrade one of my light ‘jacks into a Crusader. Now that I think about it, I might paint up the other two Crusaders I have sitting around (don’t ask) and run 3 Crusaders instead of 4 lights and a Reclaimer. The Tier 4 benefit isn’t really all that great. It does allow me to cast both Mobility and Synergy on the first turn, but I only really need Mobility on the first turn, which I could cast and then still have 4 focus to hand out for running ‘jacks. I think the Reclaimer would work best with the Zealots, but I don’t really see them in the 35 point list, or even the 50 for that matter.

The problem is that the Idrians get AD and are too mobile for the Reclaimer to easily keep up. Non-AD troops work better with him, they're not going to be doing flanking maneuvers. Or, deploy the Idrians into the center and let your opponent wonder which side they'll move to (together) and have the Reclaimer run to follow.

I think your plan to put some real muscle into the list with 3 Crusaders is sound, that gives you quite a lot of beatdown and just one of them engaging a target under Synergy will kill most things. And yes, the first turn focus is a tiny benefit. It's only useful with LOTS of jacks, which paradoxically the theme force prevents you from having unless it's a really really big game. But, it might be worth doing something like 2 Crusaders and 2 lights instead if you can find the points. It'll help for Synergy and give you more total threats. Also, a light like a Dervish is a better tool against small things than a Crusader. Maybe look at dropping one Allegiant?

Or, if you really want my advice - do a standard list and ditch the theme list. Take a nice big mixed lot of jacks (at least 5), Choir(s), a Vassal, Wracks and/or Vassal Mechanik if you can fit them, and some inexpensive filler infantry. Then you'll see what a wrecking ball Amon can truly be. Menoth jacks on their own are a little meh. But you have SO many ways to buff them up. Stack several of those together and they're terrifying. No other faction's jacks can compare.

btw - Running lots of jacks automatically solves the Bile problem too. POW 12? What the heck do I care, I'm ARM 19. Ignore 'em.

Devon Harmon wrote:
2. I might not want to make stealth enemies my prey target.

Ideally you want to cycle Prey as much as you can. That is, pick something you can kill soon, then you can pick a new Prey. Every time you get to pick, your opponent has to worry about what it will be and he must try to cover all the possibilities of who's about to get mauled. So, avoid targets that might be hard to finish off, and favor targets that cannot avoid putting themselves in battle.

Devon Harmon wrote:
4. Maybe I should play an army under more relaxed conditions to get a feel for activation order and such before trying it out in the crucible of timed turns.

Agreed!

Devon Harmon wrote:
5. Mobility is awesome. Synergy requires finesse, and maybe isn’t as cool as I thought.

Synergy is actually super-cool, just you never got to use it because you got your jacks smashed up before they had a chance and then ran out of time. Give it another go next time and keep them safe until they're ready to pounce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, thanks for the insightful comments. They are greatly appreciated.

I know eventually I'll switch from the Amon theme force, and just play him normal, but at this point I think I'm going to run him a few more times with his theme force. I gather that ideally the theme force would be something that I would pull out against a newer player (once I stop being a newer player myself), or to play against other theme forces perhaps. I'm slowly getting more stuff painted to branch out. Maybe next time I'll swing it at 50 points and see how it works there.

It seems that everytime I play I seem to recall some fact, hours or even days later, that would have changed the outcome of the game. There was the time that the Thunderhead blasted my pNemo into ashes: 3 hours later on the drive home I remembered Nemo is immune to electicity. Sometimes I remember things not in my favor: the free strike on eStryker as he was doing his 17" assassination run should've had +2 to hit. This time my revelation was thanks to you reminding me about the extra movement provided by Prey. That could've made a big difference. I had believed that my Idrians and the Biles were in a state of detente, since they had a 10" threat range, and I mistakenly believed mine to be only 11", when it really was 13" thanks to Prey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the vassal program, and played a game the other day.

I only have Khador pieces so I use that faction. I got beat on the second turn by Kreoss. I did not realise you could attack your own pieces. I have not played since around July of last year so my memory on the rules are a bit foggy lol. He charged him up against one of his pieces, popped feat downed my Sorcha,then his jacks took her out with ranged attacks.

I learned that I can attack my own pieces, and to leave her well in the back, and to be patient. I can't remember if he attacked his piece after the charge. I don't think he did. SO I guess you can charge, but don't need to attack afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you found the comments useful. Don't worry about forgetting something from time to time, it happens, especially with a new caster and faction.

One thing I want to clarify is about theme forces. "I gather that ideally the theme force would be something that I would pull out against a newer player (once I stop being a newer player myself), or to play against other theme forces perhaps."

It's not that theme forces are always weaker than unlimited forces. Theme forces offer you some bonuses in return for accepting some restrictions. It's up to you to judge the relative worth of those bonuses and restrictions. Some theme forces are very competitive, others less so (just as a general purpose list can be well-made or not so well-made).

For instance, I love the Epic Kreoss theme list and it's generally considered to be a competitive way to run him as in "you will see people do it this way in tournaments". Some other casters, like Amon, not so much. It'll just depend on the individual theme force. I wish he had something closer to Mortenebra (the Cryx jack caster) who does have a very competitive theme force. For her, the bonuses match better with what she wants to run and the things it "makes" you take are much the sort of things you'd take anyway and they don't use as many points.

Personally, my advice would be to leave 50 points until you get more experience with your new faction. I've found that the rate you learn a new faction/caster seems to be closely related to how many games you play with them and smaller games will let you get more games in and hence level up your skills quicker. In fact, I'd recommend setting aside some time to play a few 15-20 point Mangled Metal games if you can. It'll really highlight Amon's strengths with jacks so that when you return to 35 point games you'll have a good understanding of what you want to do with them.

And to Bryan: Yes, you can attack your own models - there is no rule against this. Often the first time people encounter this they'll either feel it's "cheesy" (ex-GW players nearly always seem to fall here) or they'll fall in love with it. The truth is that while you CAN do it, it's not usually advantageous. You're using up attacks that could be targeting enemy models, plus you're damaging or killing your own guys. That's a significant cost, so they had better be a good payoff or you're just helping your opponent win.

One of the most common practical reasons to attack your own models is to hurt nearby enemy models that cannot be targeted or which are auto-miss. For instance, dropping AOE's on your own guys to hit the Stealth guys nearby. Especially if your guys have enough ARM that the AOE's won't really hurt them. Squishy troops jamming your jack? That's a good time to drop an AOE right on his head. Or, you might line up one of your own models to perform a Power Attack, such as slamming him through some enemy models. You'd often use a bigger model for this so that it's less likely to be hurt and with the bigger base size will damage a wider swath through the enemy troops. So - slam a heavy through a unit of enemy troops? OK! Other situations might be killing a friendly trooper who's blocking the charge lane for your jack or caster. In this case you've probably made a mistake leaving him there and you're fixing it (at a cost), but it could be worth it.

Just don't get in a mindset of attacking your own guys all the time, because unless there's a specific reason with adequate payoff all you're doing is killing your own guys and burning up your attacks that could be killing enemies instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarash wrote:

I learned that I can attack my own pieces, and to leave her well in the back, and to be patient. I can't remember if he attacked his piece after the charge. I don't think he did. SO I guess you can charge, but don't need to attack afterwards.

If you declare a charge against a model and end your charge move in melee range with that model, you have to expend your charge attack against that model.

There are ways, usually warcasters, to not have to attack that model, by eliminating it or casting a spell to move away.

Two examples:
eCaine can cast Gate Crasher after he charges a model (but before his attack), which allows him to be placed up to 8"(I think) away. He loses the bonus damage die, but can make a melee attack if that puts him in melee with another model.

High Reclaimer: A common tactic to get extra movement for HR is to charge a cheap, friendly model(choir or zealot usually) but after charging cast Sacrifical Lamb on the cheap model, which allows the cheap model to be removed and one focus to be given to each warjack in his battlegroup. HR gets extra movement, Jacks get a focus, one choir boy dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. If you charge something and you end up in melee with them, you MUST attack. This is part of the price you're paying to get 3 extra inches of movement.

And, sometimes it's just worth the risk of killing your own model - extra movement can be fairly important at times. Or maybe you're charging an incorporeal model and don't have magic weapons so there is no risk. Or charging something with really high DEF/ARM so the risk is very minimal. Or charging something that's clearly out of range so you won't attack it. etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.