Subject: Epic Duels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I played my first game of this and had been wondering why it felt so familiar. It has some varition - but this plays much like Epic Duels.

I like Epic Duels. I like Summoner Wars. No disparaging going on. I wondered if others thought this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I think that's probably a fair comparison. Both have a lot to do with the tactical placement of units based on cards held. I would say the main differences are:

Number of players: The biggest one is that even though Summoner Wars states it's for 2-4 players (and yes, I have played with 4) it really is only a 2 player game (4 player kind of sucks). Epic Duels works well with many more players than that, in fact we had a 5v5 game that was a ton of fun.

Time of play/amount of luck: Epic Duels plays a lot quicker. It's a fast paced brawl vs. the march-across-the-battlefield feel of SW. Conversely it also seems to have a fair amount of luck to it (there isn't any way to get more than 2 cards a turn, the cards are required to get a unit to do something and there is a die roll), Summoner Wars on the other hand feels more like the winner was the result of good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
That's nicely articulated.

Epic Duels is fun with several people. Didn't play more than 2 player of Summoner Wars - but I wondered how it would work with more.

My game of Summoner Wars took a bit longer than I thought it would take. We were having a thoughtful first game, but still, a little longer than I thought - not that I mind. Epic Duels can end quickly. Too quick - as you state, due to good card pulls and dice rolls.

Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sugest you play using a chess clock. 25min for each player. It enhances the experience in my opinion ^^

ps: download an app if you don't have a chess clock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.