Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this in the latest GMT email. Interesting. Look forwards to seeing how it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any way to share what it said?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
17 April GMT Update http://www.gmtgames.com/news.aspx?showarticle=232

Fields of Fire: In Fields of Fire, Ben Hull has created a game system that fascinates me with it's endless replayability and tense game play.
So I am THRILLED to be able to announce that we have an agreement to do both an iOS and a PC version
(no Android in the works at this point, but possible down the road) of Fields of Fire and that work has begun on the project.
Imagine playing Fields of Fire when an iPad handles all the bookkeeping and rules lookups for you! This one is going to be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thought of playing this on an iPAD is very exciting.

The fact that they have to code in all the rules (read: no ambiguity) might eventually lead to a more inclusive board game instructions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is really good news! I recently bought an iPad, but miss a good turn-based wargame. Fields of Fire is one of my favourite wargames at all time, so this would be terrific! And having everything automized, without having to refer to the rulebook, forums, examples etc, is just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been hoping for a computer/smartphone/tablet version since the first time I saw the game. I think it will work very well, if they can come up with clever ways to make the GUI better than simulating movement of counters and drawing cards. That the implementation as a physical game uses cards and counters does not in any way imply that something similar would be the best fit for the digital version.

Waiting for a Mac or Linux or Android version so I can play too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait for this -should be great fun....

GMT, gto the hardcopy very, but if you still need testers for the iOS version, happy to help :)))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
moriarty88 wrote:
The fact that they have to code in all the rules (read: no ambiguity) might eventually lead to a more inclusive board game instructions as well.

This is the most exciting aspect of this announcement to me. This can't help but improve the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an auto-buy for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/me wonders if four hours of Fields of Fire vids on YouTube might earn me an early beta slot? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very excited to hear this announcment. I can only hope this pans out and the sooner the better. Fields of Fire should be an ideal fit for the ipad.

PS Chris I sure hope you get that beta testing slot. You, above most people, certainly deserve it. IMHO your videos have already made the game more accessable to a wider audience. I watched them all and it really helped me understand the game and what a cool game it really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Ooh. This has me kind of excited. I just found out about the game but can't seem to find the second edition anywhere, except the P500 pre-order that will never make it. Anybody know anything about a release date on the PC version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
An iOS version of FoF is an immediate buy for me ... to finally remove the fiddliness barriers to the game, which I believe is awesome and remarkable in the same vein as Up Front, but for me, muddled by fiddly gameplay and it being too long. An iPad version? Bring. It. On.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Stueck
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
An iOS version of FoF is an immediate buy for me ... to finally remove the fiddliness barriers to the game, which I believe is awesome and remarkable in the same vein as Up Front, but for me, muddled by fiddly gameplay and it being too long. An iPad version? Bring. It. On.

I second this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In April GMT's press release said they were on it. It's been 3 months, where are we at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
In April GMT's press release said they were on it. It's been 3 months, where are we at?

Anyone heard anything further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump* more than a month later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bump this now. Any news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll continue the bumping two weeks later.

I'm really curious, as a hobbyist iOS dev and wargamer of 40+ years with some pretty strong love/hate opinions about this game and how the iOS version could be brilliant ... where are we? Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Birckhead
United States
Nellysford
virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I'm really curious, as a hobbyist iOS dev and wargamer of 40+ years with some pretty strong love/hate opinions about this game and how the iOS version could be brilliant ... where are we? Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Jp3w8Z10s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anlcnda wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Jp3w8Z10s

Actually, that is the closest news we've had in a long time. I'll take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the latest is...?

snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DDeT wrote:
And the latest is...?

snore

GMT will deliver a brilliant user experience playable in 45 minutes on your iPad and blow us all away.

Um ...

In 2016 2017 or 2018. Early October, to be precise, making me miss my mom's 80th birthday party, as I hit the App Store refresh button every five seconds that day waiting for it.

Then Ben will tell us it was a joke that got out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.