Popular Tags: [View All]
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently traded my copy of Core Worlds for Lancaster with a buddy of mine. Oddly, I purchased my copy of Core Worlds at BGG.CON last year at the Stronghold booth, while Jeff, my buddy, won the Queen games bundle in the convention raffle on the last night and Lancaster was included.

I did play Core Worlds about 20 times and decided it was time to let it go. I don't dislike it, but as card games go, there are others I would rather play and the pace is a little slow for my tastes. On the other hand, Jeff's teenage son loves Core Worlds so it was a good trade.

I digress...this is supposed to be a session report on Lancaster. Apologies for my rambling. laugh

Jeff had never even broken the shrink on Lancaster having no interest in the game, so Sunday when my daughter was complaining of boredom, I suggested we break open the game and that she could punch out the counters. I don't know what it is about this process, but punching out counters is one of my daughters all-time favorite activities. I have to say, she was blown away by the counter sheets in this game! There are at least 7 sheets of good thick card stock counters and she had quite a time punching, sorting and bagging the components while I read the rules.

We ran out of time as bedtime rapidly approached, but my daughter knew she had to play this game with all these beautiful components. She has grown up gaming, so I figured she could handle it and this evening we had a nice little window to give it a go.

During the game, I focused on expanding my castle and knightsforce, while she focused on getting additional votes and fighting conflicts in France. She controlled Parliament quite handily throughout the game and consistently passed laws that helped her more than I.

After turn two, I grabbed and held onto the first player marker.

By the last turn she had a pretty hefty lead on me, but I had all my knights in play and my castle was fully expanded. This allowed me to have a monster turn, winning both Strength 7 conflicts in France single handedly while she concentrated in the counties finishing off her castle and grabbing the last few nobles she still needed.

The final laws which allow you to buy power points for gold and squires were going to be my ticket as I had been saving up all game for this.

I had 17 gold to convert into Power points! Yes!

Oh, wait she had 19. Damn!

Oh well, I had 13 squires for power points! Take that!

What's that, you have 14! How the? Never mind! Grrr!

In the end I outscored her on all of the end game conditions and came up from way behind - only to lose by 1 point - 75 to 76.

Ah well, better luck for me next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start to get tired of Lancaster- the only randomness being the conflicts and the laws- you can order the new law set and wrinkle your brain good.*
Also, cute session report. It certainly reflects how, in Lancaster, it's not a case of multiple paths to victory, but multiple sets of emphasis for victory- you've always gotta dabble a little bit in everything.

edit:* Don't trade it like you did core worlds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
If you start to get tired of Lancaster- the only randomness being the conflicts and the laws- you can order the new law set and wrinkle your brain good.*
Also, cute session report. It certainly reflects how, in Lancaster, it's not a case of multiple paths to victory, but multiple sets of emphasis for victory- you've always gotta dabble a little bit in everything.

edit:* Don't trade it like you did core worlds!

Good to know there are additional laws! Right now, the lack of variation in the laws would be my only complaint in Lancaster.

FYI, I never trade games my daughter likes, as I am not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The additional laws are a great feature.

To be defeated by a 10 year old. Humbling but satisfying at the same time. Very nice report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good report and congrats to you for piqueing your daughter's interest in gaming in this novel way. I will ditto the comments on the new laws which are availble here at the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like this works ok as a 2 player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.