Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im playing Hero academy I feel like its a very similar type game as summoner wars. SW is miles better and playing this really makes e want the iOS SW to come out soon but check it out in the mean time.

Date on SW iOS yet?
Your thoughts on hero academy and SW similarities?
Wanna play? "Hatchetjack"

Oh it's free for the human faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I started playing Hero Academy as something to tide me over until Summoner Wars gets released. Now I'm hooked. I've bought every faction available and even a few useless things like team colours and avatars. While I will play Summoner Wars when it is released, it no longer will take the place of Hero Academy, but instead be played along side it.

Other than both being turn based tactical games though, I don't think there are too many similarities. At the least I think they are both different enough to have merits to playing either or both. I only hope that the IOS version of Summoner Wars is half as well put together.

I've tried a lot of other tactical games on IOS but nothing as really grabbed me the same way. Looking forward to Outwitters though, that looks like it has promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero academy is so horrible, not since the original Angry birds have I disliked a 'popular' game as much as that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Hero academy is so horrible, not since the original Angry birds have I disliked a 'popular' game as much as that one.

Too hard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no AI so it is only as hard as whoever you are playing against. It just isn't fun for me. I dislike the action system, I don't think the units are particularly balanced and the maps are boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree AI would vastly improove the game but maps don't matter to me the map in summoner wars is boring but it doesnt make the game suck because .May be just the newness of it is still there and thats why i like it but so far im pleased with investment $0.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Melcher
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, on the Plaid Hat Podcast, Colby talks about this game a bit. It's pretty funny because he obviously has a pretty huge distaste for this game, primarily because it is essentially Summoner Wars. But it seemed as though his overall opinion was neutral because it IS still a fairly entertaining game.

I just recently started playing myself. None too good myself, but it might tide me over until the actual Summoner Wars app comes out, which I think will be lightyears ahead of Hero Academy, if for nothing other than the AI in the game.

My username is Melch if anyone wants to play sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melch wrote:
It's pretty funny because he obviously has a pretty huge distaste for this game, primarily because it is essentially Summoner Wars.

Huh? Hero Academy is almost nothing like Summoner Wars. I am hard pressed to think of a single element in common. If there's a reason he doesn't like it, it's probably because they made so many different design choices than SW---it stands to reason he would like his choices better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really don't see how Summoner Wars and Hero Academy are overtly similar. The combat systems, action systems, drawing systems, summoning systems, victory conditions, etc. are all different. In fact, what is the same other than both play on a board and are tactical games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Melcher
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Melch wrote:
It's pretty funny because he obviously has a pretty huge distaste for this game, primarily because it is essentially Summoner Wars.

Huh? Hero Academy is almost nothing like Summoner Wars. I am hard pressed to think of a single element in common. If there's a reason he doesn't like it, it's probably because they made so many different design choices than SW---it stands to reason he would like his choices better.

I think it has to do with the fact that you have a supply of units (like a hand of cards), then spend action points, or magic, to perform certain actions. Both have the goal of destroying the other team's summoner/crystal and both take place on a tactical board. Also, there are spawning points where the units can come out at, like the walls in SW.

I can definitely see the similarities, though I'm not sure I agree with Colby completely on it being a big rip-off of SW. I imagine he just feels a bit protective of the game mechanics in his game and HA's similarities while they are getting ready to release the SW iOS app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Huh? Hero Academy is almost nothing like Summoner Wars. I am hard pressed to think of a single element in common.

Huh? Frankly, I'm baffled as to how somebody could play both of these games and think this.

Melch hit on most of the similarities already, but I'll add that you have asymmetric armies, each has a fixed distribution of cards/units that come into play in a random order. You have standard ranged and melee units, and also unique hero units. In both games you even manage a hand of these units and choose which order to bring them out. You also have two types of "cards" in both: units that move around on the board, and spells which have one-time effects. The games have a huge amount in common.

For the record, I really love both games. I only play Hero Academy with a single opponent, but we've played well over 100 games. I'll get him to buy Summoner Wars with me on day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
Melch hit on most of the similarities already, but I'll add that you have asymmetric armies, each has a fixed distribution of cards/units that come into play in a random order. You have standard ranged and melee units, and also unique hero units. In both games you even manage a hand of these units and choose which order to bring them out. You also have two types of "cards" in both: units that move around on the board, and spells which have one-time effects.

Those all seem like completely generic properties that you can find in dozens or hundreds of games. I could design twenty games, all with all of the elements you mention, and yet they would still all be very different from one another. The impulse system, the "stomp" model, the equipment, are all central elements of HA that aren't in SW at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Those all seem like completely generic properties that you can find in dozens or hundreds of games. I could design twenty games, all with all of the elements you mention, and yet they would still all be very different from one another.

I would say that many, many more games don't have these properties in common than do. In fact, I can think of exactly two games that I've played that share all of these properties: Hero Academy and Summoner Wars. Neuroshima Hex and many CCGs share the qualities of asymmetric teams that appear in a random order, but they don't emphasize tactical movement in the same way these games do. Many miniatures and war games have tactical movement, different unit types, and often heroes and one-time use actions (spells), but they usually don't have the random draw and hand management aspects.

DaviddesJ wrote:
The impulse system, the "stomp" model, the equipment, are all central elements of HA that aren't in SW at all.

Sure. I didn't say they were identical and don't think that they are.

You said: "Hero Academy is almost nothing like Summoner Wars. I am hard pressed to think of a single element in common." I think they have several elements in common. I guess you meant that they only have many "generic" elements in common, but I still think they have more of these in common than most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the game, but from the presentation they give on their website it feels very similar to SW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hero Academy is to Summoner Wars as Stone Age is to Agricola.

there are similarities but enough difference of depth to make both worthwhile I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
There is no AI so it is only as hard as whoever you are playing against. It just isn't fun for me. I dislike the action system, I don't think the units are particularly balanced and the maps are boring.

You know, every time a new army is released for Hero Academy, I have a very similar reaction: "This seems completely unbalanced!"

However, I remind myself that these guys are incredibly experienced with balancing asymmetrical opponents (Age of Empires, etc.), so I stick with it and try to suss out the new roster. Every single time, I have to admit later that my initial impressions were wrong. Say what you will about Hero Academy, but charges of poor balancing are going to be tough to support. Even with the newest army, which changed up unit and item distribution substantially, the balance in that game is razor sharp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad I found this thread.

I've recently discovered Hero Academy and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I've also found myself being drawn into SW with it's impending release and I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Although I've never played SW, based on the reviews, video clips, thread posts and so on I do see similarities between the 2 games (I don't want to fuel the argument of how similar they are or aren't but let's just say that's my impression).

Anyway, assuming I only have time for one of these games can someone throw some reasons at me why I would pick SW over HA? What does SW have that HA doesn't or what does SW do better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Hero Academy is a joke. And not the funny kind.

It would almost be acceptable if it had AI.

What does having an AI have to do with anything? If I want to have a serious challenge I'm going to play against a real opponent. I see an AI as no more than an extension of the tutorial to prepare a player for Multiplayer.

But in any case I wasn't looking for a comparison of the repective apps as the SW app isn't even available yet, what I'm asking for are comparisons of the games themselves.

So care to provide some reasons why you think HA as a game is a joke that SW does better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Melcher
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
I'm really glad I found this thread.

I've recently discovered Hero Academy and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I've also found myself being drawn into SW with it's impending release and I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Although I've never played SW, based on the reviews, video clips, thread posts and so on I do see similarities between the 2 games (I don't want to fuel the argument of how similar they are or aren't but let's just say that's my impression).

Anyway, assuming I only have time for one of these games can someone throw some reasons at me why I would pick SW over HA? What does SW have that HA doesn't or what does SW do better?

Being a huge fan of SW myself, but having played HA, I enjoy it as well. Though I must say that there is a lot more depth in SW. There are a lot more unique units with special abilities and different ways to play, being able to manage magic and forming different strategies for different factions.

HA feels like a Summoner Wars-lite to me. Everything is much more simplified, which can be both good and bad. I like the playful feeling of HA and the strategies are interesting as well. But in the end, my love really remains with Summoner Wars for its depth and simplicity at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Hero Academy is a joke. And not the funny kind.

It would almost be acceptable if it had AI.

Don't look now (I know, you probably won't), but Hero Academy just updated with 28 free offline single-player challenges that let you try out every team’s play style. Not exactly AI though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melch wrote:
HA feels like a Summoner Wars-lite to me. Everything is much more simplified, which can be both good and bad. I like the playful feeling of HA and the strategies are interesting as well. But in the end, my love really remains with Summoner Wars for its depth and simplicity at the same time.

'Summoner Wars-lite' speaks volumes to me and not in a negative way, it's actually what I'd imagined based on what I've read so far. I'm glad you've confirmed it.

On your recommendation I'm going to go ahead and get SW when it's available. It does sound like the next level up from HA that I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.