Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been concidering getting an iPad, will primarily be for boardgaming. So, what should I know before making a descision.

Are there certain specifications I should try to get?

New vs used?

Is there a list of board games for the iPad somewhere?

Are there any really great apps that supplement the boargaming hobby?

Why shouldn't I get an iPad (apart fron the prohibitive cost)?

If these issues have been covered in other forums, I would appreciate links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Get an iPad. Whatever you comfortably afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes get one, get the newest model, I'd suggest going for the 32 GB version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/786884/looking-into-tablets/ A bit of warning - that thread quickly turned into some sort of bizarre "you're a fanboy"/"iPads suck"/"Android tablets suck" sort of thing. I hope this one doesn't derailed into the same.

Nothing wrong with used if you're getting it from a reputable source, the best of which is directly from Apple's refurbished units. Sometimes they show up on woot.com as well. I have an iPad and enjoy primarily for things aside from playing games but the platform really does have an amazing selection of casual games, board games, word games... you name it. Nothing wrong with buying tablets manufactured by others, but it seems to me that more of the mainstream board games have been converted to the iOS platform more than any other platform. I'm sure someone will argue the point, but as I said, that's been my experience.

Some of the games I enjoy on my iPad: Catan, Carcassonne, Nightfall, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, and Elder Sign amongst others. Here's the BGG blog section on iOS board games: http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164/ios-board-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're not planning on putting music or taking alot of photos/video on the ipad, a 16GB should suffice.

i use mine for gaming and music production, and i have plenty of room.

the games i have on it so far are:
Tikal
Dominion
Elder Sign
Bejewled
Ra
Tigris & Euphrates
Angry Birds
Angry Birds Seasons
Disc Drivin
Temple Run
Pinball Arcade
Space Hockey
Cut the Rope
Ghost Stories
Atari's Greatest Hits
Blokus
Bejewled Blitz
Cradle of Rome 2
Faerie Solitaire
Infinity Blade
Ascension

not to mention all my music apps, i still have 8GB of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D
Canada
flag msg tools
I would get one. Personally, I'd get the latest version (I tend to hold onto my devices for a long time, so if I get the latest, I can hold onto it that much longer before upgrading). The latest version has a much nicer screen, which is the main reason I recommend it over the iPad 2.

I have a 16gb ipad 2. If I keep a lot of music and movies on there (or huge games - which boardgames tend not to be), it gets pretty close to full, so I'd recommend a 32gb+ if you can afford it.

I've heard good things about the refurbished iPads, but I don't know how readily available the "new iPad" is in the refurb store.

Really, the main reason NOT to get an iPad is that I use mine too much. Especially in bed, which isn't terribly ergonomic, and probably hurts my neck. To be honest I got one for some development work, and wasn't sure how it would "fit" into my life, considering I had a smartphone and a laptop already, but I use it all the time. It's impossible to regret my purchase because I use it for reading, comics, movies/tv, work, games, and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'd get one - I've got one and it is great both for boardgaming both as a support device, and for gaming directly. But I also do so much more on it.

I'd get at least 32 gb - I've a nearly full 64 gb one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After feeling at times that I have personally funded the technology revolution for the last 30 some years, the iPad is the true manifestation of all the hopes and promises of computers(cue inspiring music.) As a practical matter, I use my iPod touch for music, not so much my iPad. I gave my iPad2 to my 75 year old Mom last month, and I have never seen her so excited about a gadget. They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead fingers.
As for boardgaming, in addition to what is currently available, check out GMT's announcement yesterday about their plunge into ios games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a 64-gig iPad 2. I use it multiple times every day. It has essentially replaced my laptop for all casual uses...surfing, emails, facebook, gaming, etc.

It is an absolutely wonderful boardgaming device. Some boardgames that I currently run on it include: Carcassonne, Bang!, Tigris, Ra, Samurai, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Money, Zombie Dice. There are quite a few upcoming boardgame apps that will will be auto-purchases the moment they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract strategy too!

http://nickbentley.posterous.com/big-list-of-2-player-abstra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jensen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a new iPad on Saturday. I have been loving it. I went with a 32 gig WiFi. I didn't feel the 4G was worth the extra cost with so many places having free WiFi and I have a wireless router at home. So far I have bought:
Ascension
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign: Omens

I highly recommend Ascension and Elder Sign. Very well done and implemented. While not a boardgame, I also bought Avernum: Escape From the Pit. It reminds me of the old games Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate with its turn based combat and controlling a party. There is a free demo for PC of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your input, I guess now all I need to do is wait for a sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be waiting for a long time, I've never seen a sale on iPads. They will mark the price down on the old models when the new one is released but that will be another 11 months or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do get one, and want to future proof as much as you can (i.e don't expect to upgrade to future releases) get one with the most GB's you can afford.

Two reasons:

1. Despite your best intentions you will find other apps, download data, take photos, store pdf's, etc. These will all take space, and as everyone knows once its on your device you'll be loathed to delete it.. just in case you need it on the off chance.

2. Something which is rather getting under the radar a bit with the introduction of retina displays on the new ipad (cough ipad3), is that developers are upgrading apps for the retina quality. Impact is that you can can expect app files sizes to increase (even apple are at it):

http://www.cultofmac.com/153076/retina-artwork-bloats-ipad-a...

Don't think just because you might have an ipad2 that this isn't an issue, as currently there is no file option to get a lower res/ipad version over a high res retina version. There is one version and it will fill your valuable space, even if you don't benefit from, well, the benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
Thanks for all your input, I guess now all I need to do is wait for a sale.

Just remember to buy your iPad *before* you buy your second computer -- you won't need one!

I watch stuff on my iPad on my back -- two medium USPS flat rate boxes do just fine, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Howe
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned an iPad since day 1, and just upgraded to the iPad 3 (or whatever Apple chooses to call it.)

There is a pretty huge speed increase from the original iPad to the iPad2, and for $100 less now that the new version is out, I would definitely recommend getting an iPad2. This is the only sale you're bound to find from Apple. The original has a very tough time keeping up with most of the new games being released due to the very small memory, and the increased footprint of iOS 5.

I've had the 64gb version of each model, and have usually had it filled to the brim with games, music, and eBooks. For videos, with more streaming services becoming available, you could probably get away with a 16 or 32 gb if you don't intend on keep large videos on the device.

Some games are getting pretty large, and since the Universal apps will mostly be containing HD Retina quality graphics, and size of these will increase. Most board games are small, but some games like Starfront and Infinity Blade are roughly 1gb each!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I own an IPAD 3 and use it daily. Not just for games but for things like Airplay and apple TV. I even use it for work to check email etc so I do not have to cary around my laptop everywhere. I have a 64gig btw.

Recently I have been playing Nightfall and Fealty on my Ipad but still have other favorites such as Elder Sign, Ghost Stories and Ticket to Ride.

New board game adaptions are constantly in the hopper these days. I don't think you can go wrong here.

Also, Apple store customer care is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
Should I get an iPad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not...

Get a cheap laptop and enjoy thousands of retro classics for pennies (start with Alpha Centurai, Civ, Baldur's Gate, Zork, etc, etc...).

Keep your boardgaming tactile - touching stuff is 51% of the fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't get into whether it makes sense to get an iPad vs. another type of tablet. But it's definitely worth figuring out if you should get any tablet at all.

If you want a device that you'll be using strictly for consuming content, then a tablet should be fine. Tablets are great for things like surfing the web, streaming videos, and playing games.

But if you wish to spend much time at all creating content, I'd advise against getting a tablet. For example, when I'm at home, I often find myself in Excel (either for work or non-work purposes), writing email, and posting on message boards. In each case, having a physical keyboard is a superior experience to having to type on a touchscreen. I don't mean to say at all that one can't use a touchscreen for those sorts of things; just that I'm more productive with a keyboard.

I have a tablet (not an iPad). Except when traveling, it collects dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames on the Ipad are all well and good single player.

But unless you are playing someone else on a different Ipad.. multiplayer is almost soul destroying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:

I have a tablet (not an iPad). Except when traveling, it collects dust.

That is pretty much the nature of non-iPad tablets
Incidently there are proper keyboards you can use with an iPad (or an Android, for that matter) - they are not expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Jetpac wrote:
Boardgames on the Ipad are all well and good single player.

But unless you are playing someone else on a different Ipad.. multiplayer is almost soul destroying.

Really? Some apps (Ingenious & Bohnanza for example) have nailed pass and play I think. And of course the real action is online especially async.

nbread wrote:

But if you wish to spend much time at all creating content, I'd advise against getting a tablet. For example, when I'm at home, I often find myself in Excel (either for work or non-work purposes), writing email, and posting on message boards. In each case, having a physical keyboard is a superior experience to having to type on a touchscreen. I don't mean to say at all that one can't use a touchscreen for those sorts of things; just that I'm more productive with a keyboard.

1. You can use bluetooth keyboards with an Ipad.
2. For emails and message boards I think I am more productive with an Ipad - sure I am slightly slower at typing - but I can use my ipad anywhere and in a comfy position on the couch rather than being hunched over a desk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never planned to get an ipad, but Fate decided to give me one anyways. I don't play iOS boardgames on it, as I prefer to play the "classic" way (rolling dice, moving counters, picking cards). However, the ipad is an excellent way to have all my boardgame rulebooks at my fingertips. I no longer read paper rulebooks, preferring to download the rulebooks before I even purchase the game. It's also easy to prepare for a new game that I've never played before.

Now that I've got one, I'd rather not have to get by without an ipad. And no, I'm still not an Apple fanboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't go for the previous-gen iPad 2; get an iPad 3 instead. The $100 savings over the base iPad 3 model is not worth it. The high-resolution screen on the new ones is an enormous improvement when reading text. Before, reading for any length of time on it got tedious. With the iPad 3, I'm now preferring it to printed text or reading things on my computer screen. It's amazingly sharp. The difference is much less visible with non-text graphics which, even if they're made for the higher resolution, are still mostly continuous gradients instead of crisp little lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.