Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the dependency chart and know that #1 and #2 are currently P500ed. I'm new to the game, but also know that I'm going to be purchasing more.

So: factoring in the current low P500 numbers, my impatience, and general lack of impulse control, is there any expansion of #3, #4, #5, or #6 that I could buy and play all the included scenarios? Or is everything after #1 and #2 in some way dependent on the those two?

Thanks!
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was afraid of.

Lemme try again: Owning only the base game, is there any expansion of #3, #4, #5, or #6 that I could buy and play most of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cc the calm
Austria
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe this helps (click for larger view):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's somewhat silly of GMT to not reprint #1, #2 and #3 (plus separate mounted maps for epic play, which is just not possible for new fanatics at all) until the P500 numbers are filled. People either go to the secondary market or give up, it seems. And that in turn hurts sales of expansions #4, #5 and #6, because they really need the first three for being fully playable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not 3 - that's really an expansion of 2.

Also, not 6 - you definitely need expansion 1.

Expansion 5 is the Epic one, and has battles using armies from the base game and expansions 1-3. You would probably struggle with just the base game to come up with enough blocks (5 doesn't contain any blocks).

As for expansion 4 (Imperial Rome), most of the battles in 4 assume you have the red Roman army or Barbarians from 2. I had the base game and expansion 1 when I bought 4, and found I could only play one or two scenarios using the correct armies - although it is probably possible to use the grey and purple Roman armies in some cases.

Frustrating, I know - I was there, and had to track down second-hand copies of 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

I figured it was wishful thinking to be able to play an entire expansion without #1 or #2, but I thought there might be one where I could get some use out of it. Sounds like that's not the case. Bummer.

I'd prefer not to go to the secondary market because I like to support my local game store and GMT, plus I'm so OCD, I'd be worried about missing a block or having a sticker askew. The horror! The horror!

Cheers --
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up the Spartans will give you a Greek army for playing many of the scenarios with Greeks against someone not Persia, Parthia, etc. so early Romans v Greeks or Carthage v. Greeks or a pretty good effort at the Successor battles, although shortage of elephants may bite you in a couple.

I will be putting an expanded, plus-sized copy of Expansion 2 (including X3 scenarios and lots more but) up for sale in a week or so. But sorry, it wont be at your FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
I'm so OCD, I'd be worried about missing a block or having a sticker askew. The horror! The horror!

I know exactly how you feel. I got my set in the last month that still saw unstickered copies of the first expansions in the BGG marketplace, and paid way above SRP for them, but I gladly did so instead of buying stickered copies at a fraction of the cost because I wanted to sticker them all myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I think it's somewhat silly of GMT to not reprint #1, #2 and #3 (plus separate mounted maps for epic play, which is just not possible for new fanatics at all) until the P500 numbers are filled. People either go to the secondary market or give up, it seems. And that in turn hurts sales of expansions #4, #5 and #6, because they really need the first three for being fully playable...

Completely agreed. I am very interested in exp 6 but I don't own exp 1 which is scarce and very expensive in second market. So I cannot get Exp 6 until 1 gets reprinted, I just hope when exp 1 comes available, exp 6 is not difficult to find.
Although I understand the idea behind P500 program, in this case is hurting the C&C Ancients as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. I did the exact opposite. I purposely went looking for 2nd hand stickered copies (only been playing for a few months). I got them and was able to play them straight out of the box. You can call me lazy if you want... Scratch that... Yes. I admit it... I am lazy...

The extra blocks provided with each set makes this option less of a risk in my opinion. So far, I have a complete set of each game, minus a few spare blocks here and there. Missing spare blocks don't bother me though. I have no intention of ever selling this game, so no worries there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford it, buy the expansions that are currently available even though you may not be able to play all the scenarios. I say this because eventually they too will sell out and it may be a long, long time before they are reprinted.

And don't forget, there are lots of user made scenarios for the core game on the CC:A webpage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Picking up the Spartans will give you a Greek army for playing many of the scenarios with Greeks against someone not Persia, Parthia, etc. so early Romans v Greeks or Carthage v. Greeks or a pretty good effort at the Successor battles, although shortage of elephants may bite you in a couple.

I will be putting an expanded, plus-sized copy of Expansion 2 (including X3 scenarios and lots more but) up for sale in a week or so. But sorry, it wont be at your FLGS.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by an expanded plus-sized copy of Expansion 2? You've piqued my curiousity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
I'd prefer not to go to the secondary market because I like to support my local game store and GMT, plus I'm so OCD, I'd be worried about missing a block or having a sticker askew. The horror! The horror!

Cheers --
Jason

There are spares of blocks and stickers in each expansion. I would hope that a second hand set would retain those. As for blocks with stickers askew, a solvent called Bestine that is available in craft stores is designed for loosening glued materials without damaging the paper. Applied with a dropper around the the sticker's seam with the block, it should loosen the glue enough to easily reposition it—or replace it with a spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, sorry to hijack this thread, but if I have the base game and expansion #1, I can play the scenarios in expansion #6 without issue? I found new copies of the base set and the first expansion at my local store and have enjoyed my limited play so far, but would like to pick more if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick glance at the order numbers for reprints that have shipped will demonstrate the reprints do not always need the 500 (750) that new games and expansions need to get published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
OK, sorry to hijack this thread, but if I have the base game and expansion #1, I can play the scenarios in expansion #6 without issue? I found new copies of the base set and the first expansion at my local store and have enjoyed my limited play so far, but would like to pick more if possible.

Yes, you can. The battles use the Greek, Spartan and Eastern Kingdoms armies (I don't have the game in front of me, and there may be one or two scenarios that use the other armies, but the vast majority use the ones I've listed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone at GMT looks at this thread...I'm also eager to get the 500 expansions (1 and 2&3) and hope they will fast track the reprints so I can get 4,5 and 6 too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somewhat silly of GMT

As Allen indicated, if I recall correctly, GMT plans to reprint these at some point even if the numbers are not at 500+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
somewhat silly of GMT

As Allen indicated, if I recall correctly, GMT plans to reprint these at some point even if the numbers are not at 500+.

Aye, I heard that too, but I seem to recall a strategic decision two or three months ago, not to reprint them just yet. I didn't understand that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.