Subject: Why do Americans love German Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: documentary [+] [View All]
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Here's an interesting article that just came out today (Apr 18) in DER SPIEGEL Online. Link takes you to a translated article.

http://tinyurl.com/7nez6ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Nevermind, working now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, looks like basically a review of the documentary "Going Cardboard" which is very good by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to this article, I'm going to start calling them "€ games."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:
Interesting, looks like basically a review of the documentary "Going Cardboard" which is very good by the way.

Yes, it's true. It does point to the "Going Cardboard" documentary. Looks to be pretty cool movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cause they are fun good article though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kramer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a bad machine translation of a German article. I despise machine translations as I have yet to see a decent one, unfortunately. The original is a bit better.

O.K. my quick and dirty try of a translation.

Why Americans love German board games

Board games as German export hit: Nowadays, in the U.S.A. "German style games" are considered a trademark. Build-your-empire games like "The Settlers of Catan"
have created a board game boom. The documentary "Going Cardboard" shows how analogue gaming got popular on the internet.

An American visits the Ruhr area and is happy, "You've got to witness this once in your lifetime." The man from the U.S.A. traveled to Essen to play new board
games over the next four days. Every year in October the probably biggest trade fair for board games "Spiel" gets under way in Essen. An American fan states at
the fair ground: "Essen is our Mekka."

The U.S. documentary "Going cardboard" opens with the fair's inception. American movie maker Lorien Green follows the way of board games, especially German ones,
having got a growing following of dedicated fans in the U.S. for the last 15 years. Green's documentary shows how hundreds of gamers storm the exhibition halls
to catch a seat at one of the play tables to check out the new releases of the year right after doors open on the first day of the fair. Amongst them are fans
from overseas.

The web creates an audience for analogue games

The movie narrates how German board games got popular by word of mouth in Northern America. Green lets protagonists of the gaming scene and well known game
designers like Reiner Knizia ("Keltis") or Klaus Teuber ("The Settlers of Catan") tell their stories.

In "Going Cardboard" Green attributes the growing success board games enjoy in the U.S. to modern classics like "The Settlers of Catan" and "El Grande" which
got designed by German authors and published in the '90s. Strategy games with nice components have since been called "German-style board games" or "Euro Games"
in the United States.

"Euro games usually come across friendlier and provide a better collective play experience than American board games", board game enthusiast Scott Nicholson comments
to Spiegel Online. What characterizes the German style? "Something gets created, not destroyed", answers the Professor of library science at Syracuse
University. From 2005 to 2010 he produced the video podcast "Board Games with Scott" and has been kind of the face of the U.S. board games movement since that
time.

In Nicholson's opinion those games owe their grown popularity to the internet. Many American players got to know about them only online. Young entrepreneurs
first imported the games and later started publishing English language versions of the German originals.

Popular settlers in North America

Jay Tummelson, founder of Rio Grande games, is one of those businessmen. Since 1998 he has published more than 550 titles. In his opinion more and more
interesting games by authors from outside Germany started to appear recently. The jury of the German-to-the-core award "Spiel des Jahres" apparently think
along the same lines. In the last three years the award went to two Americans and a Frenchman.

The game that started the boom in the U.S.A., "The Settlers of Catan", still remains one of the best selling Euro games. These day it's available even at
big department stores. Guido Teuber, the son of the author, confirms to Spiegel Online that board games sales are on the rise in North America. He lives in
San Francisco and is responsible for the world wide licensing of this hit game.

Since 1997 he's working towards making "Settlers" as popular in North America as it is in Europe. From a first edition in the U.S. of 5.000 games it snowballed
into 1.5 million copies of the base game. But those only make less than 10% of the "Catan" games sold world wide. In comparison: According to the publisher
11 million copies sold in Germany.

German board game classics

Teuber sees plenty of growth potential still: "Geek chic has been in for the last couple of years, and that trend keeps benefitting us."

"Going Cardboard" is a low budget documentary that succeeds in showing how Americans learned about Euro games. Nevertheless the film seems to have gone slightly
out of touch with recent development in the gaming world due to the post production having taken several years. Green created the documentary with a minute
budget of under $5.000 out of her home in a three year process. She was able to fund the production of the DVD using the crowdfunding portal Kickstarter.

Most of the footage and interviews are from 2009. Since then young game authors from other countries have joined up to the Germans and have created games like
"Dominion" and "7 Wonders". Lorien Green shows, how much these games owe to the German classics like "Carcassonne" - without "German-style Games" they might
have never been designed.

I hope I did not screw up big time, as my English is not that good. I tried to be very close to the original. Those bad complex sentences - which we Germans love and the Grammar enables us to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
That's funny because I know a huge amount of Americans that don't like "cube pushing" games.

I happen to be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Do they?

I've read lots of these sorts of articles in my time, albeit not about Germany or boardgames. Essentially, it's a cultural validation article - 'Look at how awesome we are, the foreigners love us'.

Not for one second do I believe that German designer games are anything but a niche within a niche in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
elgin_j wrote:
Do they?

I've read lots of these sorts of articles in my time, albeit not about Germany or boardgames. Essentially, it's a cultural validation article - 'Look at how awesome we are, the foreigners love us'.

Not for one second do I believe that German designer games are anything but a niche within a niche in the US.

^^^This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
That's funny because I know a huge amount of Americans that don't like "cube pushing" games.

You're telling me everybody doesn't have identical tastes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:

You're telling me everybody doesn't have identical tastes?

The cube pushers certainly wish we all did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Medic Dutch wrote:
Its because Germans love American board games.

Funny that the first picture you get to see when following the link is a bunch of dudes playing Middle-Earth Quest which is - you guessed it - clearly not a German board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.