Subject: Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About almost a year ago, we gotten 3 new people to the group who were into BSG. When we finished one game after 4 hours, a few of them asked if folks wanted to play another game. I initially laughed to myself since back-to-back games scarcely happen, but it was no joke.... We ended up doing another 4-hour game of BSG. Since then, we were getting average of 2 games a week for a while. Now, one person's lost interest, while the other 2 people have gotten busy with school, work, or presumably other social aspects of life so I while I don't forsee us playing BSG in that much frequency anytime soon, I don't see us playing another game for up to 1 to 1.5 months either.

Last but not least, this post goes out to those who can't find ANYONE to play BSG with, and if you can't get the BGG recommended 5, consider playing 3p and 4p games. They're still great.

EDIT: the usual grammar woes + usual clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games are four player and they are quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Most of my games are four player and they are quite enjoyable.

Same here! Yes, I love it when we can get a full 5, but I'd still rather play 4 for BSG than something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know your pain. I've convinced my group to play only 4 full games of BSG, period. The last one was right after Pegasus came out, and the move to New Caprica broke them. I've owned Exodus since the day it was released, and it has never been played.

To be fair, it was our first foray into any sort of "heavy" gaming, being only Catan and Dominion players prior to that. On the bright side, I've since upped their stamina with heavies like Eclipse and Civ, so the duration won't be such a factor. That, and a well timed acquisition of Shadows over Camelot has turned them on to Co-op gaming and treachery. So, my hope is that they'll be ready to tackle BSG again as conditioned gamers once they get over the sour taste of our disasterous first few games.

That said, if anyone happens to be in Washington state and wants to rock some BSG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were on the south border instead of the north, you'd have a deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Bradley
United States
Bethany
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually end up with 2-3 people who want to play it and 1-2 that get forced to by majority rule, so the games are never quite as fun as they are with a whole group of people wanting to play. Tonight, we might be trying a 7 person game. We will see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Bellingham? I'm there like every two months. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I don't have enough people to BSG, I play Ankh Morpork.
When I don't have enough people willing to play BSG, I play 7 wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
schmloof wrote:
Bellingham? I'm there like every two months. ninja

Drop me a line next time you're in town.

Also, if you happen to be making a Costco run (gotta love those Canadian prices!), keep an eye out for Matthew Bennett (Cylon #5). It's a popular spot for that particular toaster line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man...this post scared the living hell out of me. I thought FF had lost the liscense or something. THis is the only game in my entire collection that I'm thinking about buying a back-up copy for, since mine had had SO much play the board is actually starting to look worn and the skill cards are starting to look a bit grimy around the edges (no..I'm not going to sleeve them..I have limits).

I tip my hat to you sir. I'm sure you'll find more players soon. I'm lucky, BSG is that one game in my collection (Ingenious and Puerto Rico ranking close second and thirds) that people ALWAYS want to play, even amongst the "non-gamers". In fact, we're busting out a 5, maybe 6 player, BSG game for someone's birthday this weekend...after game three of Risk Legacy (maybe I'll even get to finally open one of those envelopes). That's a different story though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
...after game three of Risk Legacy (maybe I'll even get to finally open one of those envelopes). That's a different story though.

Typically the "9 Minor Cities" packet gets opened after Game 3.

For the OP, as far as finding people to play BSG with, I'll play with you if you end up going to PAX Prime in Seattle. It's not too far from where you're at. Of course, that's five months away now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my hometown we have a boardgame shop, with quite a large room just to play card- & boardgames.

Tonight we played a 6 player BSG game, with 3 newbies. Newbies to the game and new to the whole boardgame night. And I think they enjoyed both! It's an easy way to meet new players and try out many games!

In a couple of months I played: Core Worlds, Race for the Galaxy, Funkenslag, DiceWorld, Dominion, Dominant Species, Tide of Iron, Marahajah.. and the list goes on

Conclusion: find the right boardgame shop, with a spare room, and in no time you'll have a regular boardgame group! With 'replacements' coming in every now and then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.