United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
In Free For All play, a player with 10 or more gem piles can crash, but the gems do not actually go to a recipient unless/until they have 9 or fewer gems in the gem pile.

Quote:
If you would send gems while your pile totals 10 or more, instead the gems float and wait until either your pile is 9 or less (at which point they really get sent) or end of turn (at which point they are destroyed and you lose the game.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22662763/Changes%20since%202nd%20edi...

I believe the reasoning is to avoid kingmaking by preventing the dying player to a) giving another player more gems and b) preventing other players from counter crashing simply to reduce their gem pile.

That seems logical, but it kind of bums me out that the change removes the opportunity for narrow escapes from death based on counter-crashing.

e.g. With 2nd edition rules, a character with eleven 1-gems in the gem pile and two crash gems in hand could, in theory, crash a 1-gem then be counter-crashed with a 2-gem allowing them to play a second crash gem to counter-counter-crash and have 9 gems left at end of turn. With the rules change, the gem from the first crash just "floats" and the player dies without the counter-counter-crash opportunity.

So, I guess my question is: Am I understanding this rules change correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would allowing counter-crashing and counter-counter-crashing break this rule? I don't see why.

You could resolve all counter- and counter-counter-crashes as normal, and then when the dust settles, if you're still the one sending gems, those float until you're below 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"The opportunity for narrow escape from death based on counter-crashing" is incredibly common. I would expect to see it multiple times *per game* even, in a FFA game. The example you gave though, seems to be a very unusual edge case mostly based on hoping for poor play from the opponent. I don't think that example is representative of normal "saving yourself from death" scenarios.

In general, when the floating gems are sent it's still a "send" which means it can still be reacted to just like before. The gist of the rule is that crashing sends gems right away, unless you have 10 or more in pile, in which case the gems wait until you get low enough, then they are "sent" normally.

In your example, you are crashing but still have a gem pile totaling 10 after, so the gems float, then you just lose at the end of the turn (and even if the gems did really get sent, your opponents know if they just do nothing you're going to lose). Note that if you had like 100 gems in your pile and crashed down to 9 to save yourself, that all those gems do get sent like always. So to legitimately save yourself, you can have any number of gems in your pile, as long as you get down to 9 by the end of the turn, which is mostly how it was before anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
...(and even if the gems did really get sent, your opponents know if they just do nothing you're going to lose). ...

... and all but one of the opponents will lose as well, creating an incentive to reduce their gem piles and/or keep dying player in the game a little longer. It would not be poor play, IMHO, if allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Medina
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is really just to stop the game from dragging out, right? Because this rule means that if you can't get under 10 on your own, the game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Harris
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo_jman wrote:
this rule means that if you can't get under 10 on your own, the game is over.

What are some ways that other players could help you reduce your gem pile?

I can't recall having seen such abilities in the two-player games I've played thus far (but it's been a while).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say you are at 11 (all 1 gems) and you have two crashes in hand with no forks.

You crash a 1, leaving you at 10. Another player, not in the winning position, counter-crashes with a 2, allowing you to counter-counter-crash another 1 gem leaving you at 9 and alive.

With the rule in place, the first 1 gem does not escape your gravity well of >=10 gems and so the other player cannot intervene.

I think Gloria's crash reaction chip might also have a similar effect without requiring the dying player to have two crashes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.