BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which games did improve on Domions mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in Dominion, but i read a lot, that it's just about the mechanic
Are there games which use the deck building mechanic and improved as a game in whole?

PS: I hope you get what a i'd like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone fans will say Thunderstone is better.

Ascension fans will say the same about their game.

Having played both of those, I can say, no they did not make a better game. But don't take my word for it, I am a Dominion fan.

Queue Nightfall fans, Rune Age fans, Quarriors fans, etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Sn

surpriseHalifax Hammer! RABBLE RABBLE!surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is my favorite of Dominion's offspring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mayfield
United States
Artesia
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Core Worlds #1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have played Thunderstone and Heroes of Graxia. While they seem like decent games, they are not better than Dominion.

I am curious about Puzzle Strike, Ascension, and Core Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Different games improved in different ways.

I'd say the biggest improvement was probably Nightfall, which tightly interlocked the optimized plays with a prediction of your opponent's plays. That is, it's often not good enough to just build a good deck--you have to build a good deck that springboards on your opponent's deck AND the cards available to the players.

That said, I'm not a huge Nightfall fan (Dominion wins on theme and variety for me), but mechanically the various card spreads are more interesting in Nightfall than they are in Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a number of Deck Builders and they all bring something new to the table.

Dominion is mechanically sound but dryer than burnt toast.

Thunderstone brings a strong Fantasy RPG flavor, which can work against it and cause games to drag on.

Quarriors switches cards for dice, but there is a sharp divide between those who love it and those who hate it.

Eminent Domain is an easier to learn Race for the Galaxy

I would readily pick any of these depending on your taste. If you want something heavier, i've heard good things about Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Eminent Domain but I'd still rather have Dominion itself any day. EmDo definately scratches that itch but Dominion is one of those games I come back to time and again for multiple plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike is a big improvement while still being very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anything that has direct conflict with the other players, otherwise your just playing solitare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best offspring would be either Eminent Domain or Core Worlds.
Eminent Domain combines the role selection in Glory to Rome and distills the card drafting/ setup in Dominion into a game that can be instantly enjoyed by newbies and remained to be challenging for veterans.
Core Worlds is the next generation of deck building games. See the comment by Brian Bankler at his blog: http://taogaming.wordpress.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for asnwers so far and i hope some more will come.
What do you think are the reasons, that most of those games are much lower rated?
Some of these games seem a lot more appealing and variable then Dominion, but they fell far behind it and. Also Dominion still sees tons and tons of plays.
I must be missing some of Dominion's greatness. What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:

I've played dominion a bunch of times and I know how you feel. Let me know if you find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Core Worlds. Building a deck in order to use it to DO something is much more interesting than building a deck to build a deck to build a deck in solitaire mode.

I've tried Nightfall and Ascension but so far Core Worlds is by far the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil takes the layout of Dominion but then changes the game flow to something closer to Ascension. It adds boss battles which I think are an improvement on Dominions victory points in that it still gives you goals to work to but you don't have any dead cards.

Personally I think the theme is also more fun than Dominion. While I absolutely prefer it over Acension I think that both it and Dominion scratch different itches for me so both still hit the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You DO know that your title says "Domions" right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
You DO know that your title says "Domions" right?
He's German though which won't explain the name he gave the game (but he may also be young / probably don't have an experience with the game / write the name from memory) but may explain some of the English used in the post. It's easier for a native speaker.

I too wanted to say "the only way to win is not to play at all"
(I assume the right way to say it is "to not play at all"? Don't ask me why I typed it the other way around. How is it said in war game?)

I've played Dominion 1-on-1 and it was OK though I think it ran a little too long with so few cards to choose from. I've also played the Thunderstone facebook application and I guess optimization / playing better with the cards available is what would make the game better / more challenging but having played that through Facebook made me decide to not get the game for now. I've also watched Dominion played by four and it seemed slow and like a lot of waiting.

I've played RFTG myself with four and thought that was OK / worked as well as with two but then that's not a deck builder.

Also I played the original base set. The people who played at four played Dominion: Intrigue which seemed better. On Facebook it was only a very restricted amount of the first Thunderstone base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally love Dominion. None of the other deckbuilders I played came close to it in terms of fun. Here are my thoughts on them:

- Ascension: Pretty good, and way shorter to set up. Also pretty easy on the rules side. Variety isn't that great, as each game is quite same-y.

- Nightfall: Interesting direct conflict, but it's over before it really gets going. And if you play with more than 2, the winner is usually determined by politics instead of skill.

- Thunderstone: Feels like a poorly tested prototype to me. Card balance is off, and it feels like your choices don't really matter much at all since you have almost no way to counter the luck of the draw. Was really disappointed with this one.

As for what makes Dominion so great in my opinion:

- Variety: Not only are there a lot of cards, the game also does play very different depending on the setup. Sometimes the game is over very quickly, sometimes the players struggle to get the needed money. Sometimes you can build a "combo" deck drawing your entire deck each turn, sometimes it's all about money.

- Engine-building: You can often chain your cards together so they do something more than they would alone. It's just fun creating a well-oiled machine over the course of the game and then seeing it in action.

- The cards don't have a fixed strength. Depending on which other cards are available, some cards may be awesome or really bad. This forces you to re-evaluate each card multiple times, adding depth and lasting appeal.

- Depth: Dominion looks simple at first, and due to the abundance of shuffling it may seem like luck plays a huge role. But the more you play, the more you see that Dominion is actually very strategic and deep. This isn't quite as true if you only play with the basic set, but the more expansions you throw into the mix, the more strategic the game becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
Thx for asnwers so far and i hope some more will come.
What do you think are the reasons, that most of those games are much lower rated?
Some of these games seem a lot more appealing and variable then Dominion, but they fell far behind it and. Also Dominion still sees tons and tons of plays.

If you haven't played Dominion then go ahead and play it. Some people love it some people don't. I don't care for Dominion but I can see why others love it.

Just because so many love Dominion doesn't mean the mechanics are what you'll love in a similar game. If a game interests you then sometimes you need to ignore what everyone says about it and just try it for yourself.

If you can then try before you buy, find a local game store or game group or buddy that has the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:

- Nightfall: Interesting direct conflict, but it's over before it really gets going. And if you play with more than 2, the winner is usually determined by politics instead of skill.

QFT. Bash-the-leader makes this one a crap shoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age. The scenarios are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
Rune Age. The scenarios are fun.
But it's not much game in the box? and no expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
I say Star Trek. It's my favorite out of all the deckbuilding games I've played. It has various scenarios, which gives the game a far different feel; it has a nice theme; it has a second deck, which drastically changes the standard deckbuilding game; and it has the right amount of PVP in the free-for-all so it doesn't feel like solitaire.

I'm not a fan of Dominion. I think there have been plenty of improvements since then. The biggest being, a lot of the deck building games I've played is when you buy something, it counts for points AND does something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games that have improved on deck-building by making it a theme mechanic rather than just a mechanic with a vague theme somewhere:

Mage Knight Board Game
A Few Acres of Snow (2 player)
Friday (solo)
Eminent Domain

Never played Dominion and have little desire to, though if someone owns it and asks me to play I'd be happy to try it at least once.

I've played Thunderstone and wasn't impressed. What I didn't like about it was how it was simply a struggle to build points. I found it counter-intuitive that winning a battle in TS will give you a card that hampers you in future battles. It just bloats your deck. Games that focus on ratcheting up the most points that are only abstractly related to the theme before some arbitrary end point, like 6 rounds or you come to the bottom of a random non-progressive randomly generated set of cards*, just leave me cold.

In Friday, when you win a battle it gives you a card that gives you more fighting points and/or a special ability for future fights. Plus, you want to keep thinning your deck (by spending precious health) as potentially game-ending aging cards are added. Great intuitive and fun deckbuilding mechanic.... in fact, the only game I own where I don't give more than a passing thought to the theme.

*as opposed to, say, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game where the game ends when you've reached the end of the locations deck but these are designed to go in a specific order and give the game a pleasing, thematic, progression. I'm hardly a fanboi - SH: DA is a game I sold because while it was enjoyable enough, there are other games that scratch those itches much better. TS has no sense of progression until, long after it's worn out its welcome, you find yourself staring down the thunderstone bearer with little warning and poof, the game ends suddenly. But that's just me and lots of good folk out there don't have issues with these designs whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.