Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As in the subject, I'm looking to find any information on retailers that have reasonable shipping rates to international locations. It gets disheartening to find what I want at a shop, proceed to the checkout, then discover that the shipping costs range from 110%~200% (or worse) of the actual product.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
siberian geek
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardsandbits.com, miniaturemarket.com, superherogameland.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don care about a not strong enough package, http://www.spiele-offensive.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regina Harris
United States
Maylene
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation I have the same problem getting stuff from Japan. My kid is into Godzilla and Beyblades and the shipping is as much or more than the stuff I'm buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Book depository, but you do take a chance with their packaging. Subscribe to this geeklist, people are regularly adding to it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71514/buying-board-games-a...

Maelstrom Games in the UK has Fantasy Flight Games + Ultra Pro card sleeves that you can get free international shipping.

www.funagain.com has a reasonable shipping option if you just want to buy a small card game. I think about 8USD to New Zealand (which is a reasonable distance).

These are the only ones I've come across and I've been foraging here for quite a while watching out for good deals & info. Everyone else has the shipping options like what you have referred to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also is going to depend a lot on the game not just the retailer.

I will ship a small card game anywhere in the world for $5.

A Large box game. Anywhere from 15$ - 40$. But that is with me knocking at least $10 off the actual cost of shipping it.

For a lot of retailers who already sell at a discount below MSRP, shipping costing more then the item is not going to be unusual.

Edit: changed from $20 - $40 to $15 - $40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpshelf wrote:

For a lot of retailers who already sell at a discount below MSRP, shipping costing more then the item is not going to be unusual.

True, but a higher price and an exorbitantly high price are two different things. Sadly, most of the shipping costs are way past the line of reasonable. I know that costs vary due to weight and size of the package but I've been shipping and receiving packages internationally for years so it's easy to see that a lot of the prices are too much on the high end.

I would love to know what store you work for or where you sell your items. If you truly have such reasonable costs for your services, I'd like to check out your inventory to see if I can find what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wilson
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Do I own too many games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I woudl say [geekurl=http://spiritgames.co.uk/]SpiritgamesSpirit games[/geekurl] they charge at cost and if you ask them will let you knwo in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT games charge very low shipping fees (somehow they are still using costs of the surface mail RIP).

Otherwise: bn.com, bookdepository.com and deepdiscount.com; but their collection is not vast.

Ciao

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I, Northumbria Games, charge at cost of postage estimated from the weight of the game(s) plus a standardised 250/300g for the packaging. (No charge for the actual packaging.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:

I would love to know what store you work for or where you sell your items. If you truly have such reasonable costs for your services, I'd like to check out your inventory to see if I can find what I'm looking for.

Most of the games I sell are specialty promos, rare, and out of print board games on Amazon and Ebay which tend to command a higher price. This makes it easier for me to discount the shipping.

On the other hand I do take special orders for a lot of my customers, have access to almost any board game that is in print at a competetive price, and I always ship in protective packaging to prevent damage during shipping.

Post an example of what you are ordering with the quoted shipping costs so we can see what exactly you are paying for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpshelf wrote:
[q="n107"]

Post an example of what you are ordering with the quoted shipping costs so we can see what exactly you are paying for.

This time I am trying to order cards for a CCG. I was just going for a small box of boosters and a box of starters (10 decks, I believe).

The best price I found for the product itself is about $26 US but the shipping fees were around $55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
siberian geek
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Jumpshelf wrote:
[q="n107"]

This time I am trying to order cards for a CCG. I was just going for a small box of boosters and a box of starters (10 decks, I believe).

The best price I found for the product itself is about $26 US but the shipping fees were around $55.

I think, it's not very good idea - order just few small boxes. If you order more games at once (4-5 standart Ticket to Ride boxes), shipping price will be about 50% of games price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True it would lead to a discount but I'm not looking to buy more, I'm looking to save money. If I had a lot of purchases to make it would be a sensible strategy but right now it runs opposite of my goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troll and Toad has a special offer until Apr 22 - buy for 200$ and get it shipped free anywhere!

That's your chance to buy all the stuff you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:
Troll and Toad has a special offer until Apr 22 - buy for 200$ and get it shipped free anywhere!

I'm not sure if paying an extra $174 to avoid paying a $55 shipping fee is exactly the cure for my woes at the moment.

But were I in the market for a ton of games, that would be a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:

That's an excellent deal especially if you can find some great priced items.

If I were you I would post something in the forums here for Japan and see if you can find somebody near you willing to order some stuff to get the free ship deal also.

CCG's vary greatly in weight so here is a breakdown of your shipping costs.
8 lbs = $56.38 (priority mail)

6 lbs = $53.77 (priority mail)

4 lbs = $30.44 (first class mail)

2lbs = $17.18 (first class mail)

10 oz = $10.03 (first class mail

Again, depending on who you buy from, many retailers will subsidize or reduce your shipping costs when you purchase from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
n107 wrote:
As in the subject, I'm looking to find any information on retailers that have reasonable shipping rates to international locations. It gets disheartening to find what I want at a shop, proceed to the checkout, then discover that the shipping costs range from 110%~200% (or worse) of the actual product.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

The problem you are seeing is due to the fact that the *weight* of the shipment is all that matters to shipping companies... NOT the price of the games. Even a *free* brick costs money to ship - and a lot of games weigh more then bricks with all of their mounted stuff inside. Shipping companies do not care about how much you paid for the games - all they care about is covering for expensive operational costs and jet fuel and with your being from Japan I know your country understands something about expensive fuel costs.

All I can tell you regarding our operations is that we do not jack up our rates and I double check all shipments, especially international, before they go out to make sure our shipping rates are accurate and credit back any difference. We do not attempt to profit on shipping rates on our store but postage has to be covered.. no way around it. Whether you add it to the price of the game, or shipping rate, it has to show up somewhere. I prefer to keep our shipping rates "on the table" not slid into the prices of the games, with the exception of a few promotions we are running with specific publisher titles due to pricing requirements.

I just sent off a very large order to Japan yesterday and the buyer played it smart.. he bought a bunch of games at one time for himself and a group of gamers. That is how to save the most on shipping costs - bulk rates are far better per game unit then one at a time.

If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime. I handle questions like yours every day and we ship to A LOT of different countries.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shippng rates are not set by stores for the most part.

They're set by the shippers.

Shopping around is not likely to save you much, if anything, on shipping, simply because the shippers (UPS, FedEx) set those prices, not the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand your plight, and those who ship sometimes get the frustration from potential buyers when it is the shipping companies not the retailers prices. This week I had someone order 3 puzzles from Hong Kong, under $40; UPS wanted about $110, Postal Service about $55, we don't charge a handling fee, just pass on the shipping costs, customer passed because I would not cut them a deal on shipping, telling me the puzzles were reasonably priced but my shipping rates were outrageous, and I do not set those rates...The other thing is custom charges which is each individual country's to determine if or if not to charge and what they will charge, nothing to do with on line retailers. USA shipping charges are bad enough for inside the country. As rates continue to increase, those who offer a threshold for free shipping will be forced to continually raise the minimum for shipping as well. Both for you the consumer and we the retailers, it is a tightrope we walk to hit the right price so you save and we make something to stay in business

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.