Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)do we need a civil action or military action to play a defense/colonization bonus cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You play them as a defensive card when someone plays an aggression on you in their political phase. This does not cost any form of action.

You play them as colonization cards as part of the payment for colonizing a territory. This is also done during a players politcal phase and does not cost an action of any sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank! Is there a limit of how many cards you can in a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
thisaliensean wrote:

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
thisaliensean wrote:

No.

The only limit is the number of cards you have in hand. Remember, after your political phase, you can only keep the number of cards in your hand equal to the number of Military Actions you currently have (discarding any in excess). So your hand size on an attack or upon a revealed colony will only be as big as your military cards you had in your hand at the end of your last Action Phase + the number of Military Cards you drew at the end of your last turn (determined by the number of unused MAs at the end of your turn--limit up to 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
engelstein wrote:
thisaliensean wrote:

No.

The only limit is the number of cards you have in hand. Remember, after your political phase, you can only keep the number of cards in your hand equal to the number of Military Actions you currently have (discarding any in excess). So your hand size on an attack or upon a revealed colony will only be as big as your military cards you had in your hand at the end of your last Action Phase + the number of Military Cards you drew at the end of your last turn (determined by the number of unused MAs at the end of your turn--limit up to 3).

One of my first mistakes as a beginner was dumping those defence cards when my military was relatively low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Halfinger wrote:
One of my first mistakes as a beginner was dumping those defence cards when my military was relatively low.

As a general rule, you shouldn't dump defense cards ever, except in odd circumstances (I've got columbus and I need to drop either a fertile territory or a defense card. Or, it's the middle of age 3, I've got the highest military by a large margin, and I really want to keep all these aggressions/wars). They're just generally really powerful cards, even if your military is currently the highest.

You might not have the highest military in 2 or 3 turns.

You might want them to colonize a territory. Even if you can't win the territory, having the defense cards might let you bid the territory up higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewE wrote:
Halfinger wrote:

As a general rule, you shouldn't dump defense cards ever, except in odd circumstances (I've got columbus and I need to drop either a fertile territory or a defense card. Or, it's the middle of age 3, I've got the highest military by a large margin, and I really want to keep all these aggressions/wars). They're just generally really powerful cards, even if your military is currently the highest.

You might not have the highest military in 2 or 3 turns.

You might want them to colonize a territory. Even if you can't win the territory, having the defense cards might let you bid the territory up higher.

Agree whole heartedly about the value of Def/Col cards. However, there are certainly quite a few scenarios that would result in your dumping a defense card over something else, especially if you have the highest military. In this case, if you only have 1 good agression card to hold onto, I would hold it in favor of a Def card.

Also, the right Tactics cards is, IMO, the most valuable Military Card in the deck. Even if you do not have a military advantage, I would strongly recommend holding onto the Classic Army, if you are currently at Phalanx or some other Age I tactic, in Favor of a Def II card.

Ultimately, everything is so damn situational in TtA it makes writing a strategy guide for it very difficult. For just about every situation, you would have to draw up a decision matrix based on the current state of your civ, your cards (both military and civil), the card row and your opponents situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right, there's plenty of individual military cards that are better than a defense card - a territory for Columbus, an aggression you'll be able to use next turn, terrorism if you're pretty sure you can cash in on it, the right tactics card. The trick is that you have to have an entire fist full of these really awesome military cards right after you just played a political action to consider dumping defense cards, not just 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.