Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the virtual convention failed to materialize over the weekend, the thought of it had me pulling DEL off the shelf and putting it on the table again. It had been a while since I'd done so... without further ado:

Scenario 3: South Thrust

The goals for the PACT is to move in and capture Eisenbach, 3 of 4 other cities, or eliminate a heap of NATO forces. The PACT set up entirely NE of Eisenbach, with the plan being half the force taking that city, and the other half split between going west over the river then south, and going towards Eisenbach, but shifting to Nasebruck at the last moment. The Americans set up heavily around Eisenbach and shared quarters with the Canadians in Mittelbaum.

NATO leaders clearly feared a quick fall of Eisenback followed by a rolling of the remaining cities. Those fears were unfounded as the PACT forces, while highly outnumbering the US in Eisenbach, were breaking against the rocks. Eventually Eisenback fell, but that was a temporary situation and a quick counter-attack eliminated the remaining PACT forces in the town.

The other two prongs were much more successful. Nasebruck fell quickly, and the PACT was never pushed out. The western group easily took an unguarded Jungweiler, but their quick march towards Schniederburg was adeptly intercepted by those pesky Canadians (PACT units came up 2 hexes short, due to an activation roll of 2, vs an activation of 3 for NATO). The PACT force was unable to take their objective, and without Eisenbach, ended with a single VP for eliminating 7 NATO forces (almost all from around Eisenbach).

Game 2: Scenarion 6: Three Crossroads (from LOF10)

The goal for the PACT in this scenario is to take 3 of the 5 crossroads. Both forces start on the opposite edges of the map and race forward. The US troops quickly took Eppertsfeld and Gerzenburg, Germans rushed to Bosenwald and hunkered down, and hoped reinforcements would arrive in a timely manner. The PACT took Jadefurt immediately and sent half their force toward Kloppmund, the other half toward Gross Glowe and Gerzenburg. The task for the PACT is very difficult here, since the NATO forces can quickly gain 3 cities and must be forcibly removed.

To the north, the German forces were just too weak. Couple that with high activation rolls meant that even having the territorial troops show up on day 2 didn't help much. By the end of Day 2, the germans were no longer a serious force on the board.

With a token force of NATO troops remaining in Eppertsfeld, early on day 2 the PACT decided to man-up and focus on Gerzenburg. Not knowing how things would go up north, the commitment was made to attack. It was not a wise idea. The steady stream of NATO reinforcements, coupled with airstrikes, artillery and incredibly effective defensive fire crippled the southern attack. By the dawn of day 3, the southern force was gone and NATO was moving north to take back Kloppmund, and effectively encircling the remaining PACT units in Bosenwald, thus ensuring a NATO victory.

----

I don't have many games under my belt with this title, but I hope to get more soon. Even so, I have learned that having PACT forces stand toe-to-toe with NATO forces is a great way not to have many PACT forces remaining afterwards. Couple NATOs better quality units with wise placement of these units to gain additional defensive fire and PACT attacks can really bog down quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, concise session report and analysis.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Scenario 6 - it's a real eye opener to try to defend as NATO with the "second-line" units of the US NG.

The Panzergrenadier Brigade did fine (though it bore the brunt of the attack) but my M60s seemed to evaporate in comparison to the usual controlled fall-back of the M1-equipped first line US units from the base set.

Of course, badly timed activation didn't help my efforts either. A couple of times my US armor battalions might have gotten away but the Soviets got to act first, effectively back to back.

The expansion is a great addition to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.