Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K., here is what I would think a worthy starter set of this should look like:
Messerschmitt Bf 109, Supermarine Spitfire, P-51 Mustang and Mitsubishi A6M Zero

The way it is, I can´t help myself but to get the suspicion, that the intention for this was to insure that people will buy the starter set AND all the really interesting stuff as soon as it becomes available, because what you get with the starter set is clearly second rate to most people.

That would be o.k., if this was clearly stated, but Andrea Angiolino says:"This is what was most quickly possible to produce, after the stop to Wings of War and the switch of company."

This makes me scratch my head a little, why do you had to produce something so quickly that you can´t give customers planes they really want in the starter set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, go back in the earlier pages and read some history...of the game system.

The Spitfire and Bf 109 and Zero were in Series 1. (add the wildcat and you complete it.)

They had Series 2, with pretty logical planes (a 2 seater/bomber for both early European theater (Stuka) and early Pacific (Val) plus a key Partner in Early Europe, the Hurricane, and a French fighter as the "diversity" entry.

The four planes you see know were scheduled for Series 3.( I can't answer why these 4) and then Nexus folds, Ares starts, and there is a factory in China that is at some level of in-production with these planes. If not these planes, Ares probably has to go a much longer time without Glory products (and maybe loses their supplier). The WW1 system is in a similar place...even a bit stranger, leading off with a starter kit with no minies and Bombers without the game parts and early war fighters somewhere behind that...Ares picks up where Nexus dropped off or either takes longer or maybe Wings of Glory doesn't happen at all.

As for the Mustang, I'm afraid we are a long way, and some significant change to the system, away from seeing that. When you consider the early Spitfire fills the whole maneuver card, what do you do with a much faster
plane?

As for your preferences, I know several places (including me) that can sell you Wings of War Spitfires, 109s, and Zeros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
This makes me scratch my head a little, why do you had to produce something so quickly that you can´t give customers planes they really want in the starter set?

And, TBH, even with the older starter set people used to post here complaining that why was it 2 European theater, and 2 Pacific theatre? So yes, it may have been a better selection, but you're never going to please everyone

P.S. If you do wish to buy Series 1 & 2 planes they are still readily available ... but I will imagine that the release of WoGII will see a surge of interest buying up all the old stock. Just like the WoWI stock when the revised Starter Box came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fortunate that I've managed to get just about everything so far for this system.

Quote:
That would be o.k., if this was clearly stated, but Andrea Angiolino says:"This is what was most quickly possible to produce, after the stop to Wings of War and the switch of company."

...I think that's a pretty honest and straightforward answer. Series 3 was already in the middle of being produced. It's an easy decision to set aside four of the new models for inclusion in a new starter kit. I've always wondered how they decided to constitute waves, since concentrating on a campaign ("Blitz" or "Early War Pacific") would be easier for players to design scenarios for. Splitting models across both the European and Pacific theaters makes things tough until a lot of waves are out. JM.02.

It's all water under the bridge now. I think there's enough European aircraft now that some Mediterranean and "Blitz" scenarios should be doable. The upcoming B-25 and He-111 will help with that.

The Pacific still needs some rounding out to really get into early war stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

First of all, a new series of miniatures was actually what people really asked for, loudly. And they wanted it as soon as possible. There are for example thousands of people registered at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus/ and http://www.wingsofwar.org/ that follow the game, and they asked for new subjects every day (they still do that, by the way). The subjects you quote are already available and still on sale around (Mustang apart), so it was not what they wanted for. Thanks to this series they got 4 new subjects, both as single airplane packs and collected in a starter set - a box that it is useful to expert gamers too, to get more tokens, counters, consolles, rulers.

Second, NG International stopped production suddenly. But the game is appreciated and every day many people play it, speak about it, introduce it to friends, demo it in events. They went on doing so even when there was not a publisher any more behind them to promote the game. So there are always new players and curious people that want to see and maybe buy a set. It would have been foolish to tell them "yes I know you want it, but we need several months more to be able to produce a P-51 - please wait until next year". A starter set was needed for them as soon as possible, and they got it.

Ares games did a great job, really. The game could be utterly dead now, while they bought it back instead to old and new players in a matter of months from when we authors got free from the old publisher. Producing 100% compatible gaming pieces, so with full respect to players who have invested money, time and passion in this game in the past 8 years (not something that always happens - consider what Hasbro did when they started producing Subbuteo).

Now the game is alive and healthy again. And more miniatures, with more popular as well as more unusual subject, can follow - including the ones you are asking for. In the meantime, people wanting Messerschmitt Bf 109, Supermarine Spitfire and Mitsubishi A6M Zero can still find them around from the old WoW production - for the Mustang, a bit of patience more.

I must add that I also had personal reasons to hurry - even if my own problems are totally ininfluential on the events and I have not any power to make a miniature production nor a marketing plan quicker of a single day.
As a designer, I was in a very delicate situation. Many people utilize the succes of my game to their own profit, some of them acknowledging my designer role (as Big Daddy Creations who officially licensed the system to make a iOS version of the game http://www.bigdaddyscreations.com/688/wings-of-glory-not-a-s... or Ares Games itself with Sails of Glory) and some just making derivative games or compatible game accessiores without asking nor acknowledging anything. Protection is weak and designers are not respected by the gaming industry as much as I would like to, alas. With NG International stopping its activity, the game went out of production and had no future: I was then in a very weak position. There have even been plans to use the "Wings of War" title for other games without my consent, not being immediately clear to everybody that it would have been illegal besides being unfair (to me as to the public faith). Now that the game is alive again, I feel far more protected and people has more chances to get proper products derived from this line (let's bring on those iOS WGS and Sails of Glory!). Instead than, to make an example, a reprint of a 30 years old dogfight boardgame with "Wings of War" written on the cover to cheat the public - as a publisher really intended to do last summer to fill the market gap left by my game. Luckly for everybody, he had not the time to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.