Galen Slayton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I love playing support classes, so I'll explain why this character doesn't really work for me...

As it's been said by others, her best ability is "Walk in the light". It makes some bosses a joke, especially Gorgutt.

However, if you want to make use of her healing abilities, you are spending all your AP running to allies to heal them, NOT fishing for Hero cards at the Inns.

ALSO, her ability to clear crystals is a further waste of AP when the best way to stop the spread of crystals is to kill minions...but her ability only works when many minions are present, thus making you waste AP clearing when minion presence on the board is a big problem...not after.

I had such a miserable time trying to play her as support. In a well played game, none of the heroes will take damage. Even if they do, they're better off healing themselves. And to top it off, the Healer's General toppling ability makes it extremely challenging to even see the benefit of her other abilites considering the AP needed to reach Inns and Rumor...

Ignoring her healing abilites and focusing solely on Generals seems very powerful, but defeats the pupropse of her other strategies and very Namesake...am I missing something here? I nearly cost us the game trying to utilize her support abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that her healing isn't too important, it is a hefty heal that allows players to be far more reckless in their attacks. When two players think they can take out a general but aren't quite certain, if the Healer is around, they might as well go for it, a she can assuredly bring them back to max actions on her turn. Is that an ideal scenario in the game? Not at all. But it is an option.

Her tainted ability is my favourite of hers, however. When a location is tainted, there are definitely going to be three minions present. She can waltz over to the space, heal the land, and then murder the minions, easily solving two problems without a discard (or much fuss at all).

Maybe it's just us, but sometimes taints can sneak up and steal the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the healer spends AP to heal the heroes get there HP/AP back on the start of there next turn where otherwise if they healed themselves they would not get to use that AP. I have been in situations with heroes down to 1 AP and the only thing they could do is move to another location to heal on the next turn, then they need to move again on there next turn because there is now a minion on the spot. Oh to have a healer in that situation as not to waste multiple turns moving and healing. The healing ability is good but she works best with 3 or more heroes so as there is more need of her.

Depending on how the game goes along her support abilities may not be needed especiaaly if everyone is rolling well, maybe this was such a game. I guess games can arise where her support abilities are not really needed and then she would feel a little useless. But often I find myself wishing someone had taken this character.

I guess the good thing is if one does not like the character there are many other characters to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the Healer last night and was wondering if anyone else had this opinion. Healing and Removing Taint are the actions we take least; we generally just avoid getting hurt and kill minions to stop the land getting tainted! Usually the big threat is generals hitting Monarch City, NOT of taint getting out of control.

The anti-general ability would be extra useful against the Dragon expansion, where the dragon generals tend to have very nasty combat abilities.

But overall I feel like the healer needs a little more kick. I'm thinking that her transfer energy should possibly destroy minions as well as removing taint.

Quote:
It makes some bosses a joke, especially Gorgutt.

Gorgutt is pretty much a joke anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, frankly, if you don't adjust your playing strategy to the abilities of your characters, that's hardly the game designer's fault...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
Well, frankly, if you don't adjust your playing strategy to the abilities of your characters, that's hardly the game designer's fault...

The Healer's abilities help you recover from bad things happening.
But good play means the bad things don't happen in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.