Subject: Alpha +3 Japan Strategie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

having played our first game of A&A 1940 Global with a phenomenal loss on the side of the axis, we saw in retrospect al lot of avoidable mistakes on part of Germany and Italy alright.

But I really wonder what Japan could have done to get a strong foothold in asia (e.g. by keeping UK, Anzac and US at bay)

It gets to easily distracted by russia and china. Which mainly have infanterie but a lot of them (eventually for china)
The 18 russian infanterie at amur (border to mandschuria and korea)... can you ignore them? or at least go into a manageable defense? Those 18 guys can pretty much ruin you day when left loose, so i decided to attack them at once.. destroying them all but in the process
- lost nearly all ground forces which were able to attack amur region
- had to pull my fleet to japan (amphibious assault) - thus putting no pressure on dutch islands in the south (those were taken then by UK and Anzac)

This and an expensive and fruitless China campaign (china dies only have "1 IPC" regions) led to the ultimate demise (in my opinion)

So my question is: how can you treat the 18 russians in amur region?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komsi Hawkeye wrote:
Hi

having played our first game of A&A 1940 Global with a phenomenal loss on the side of the axis, we saw in retrospect al lot of avoidable mistakes on part of Germany and Italy alright.

But I really wonder what Japan could have done to get a strong foothold in asia (e.g. by keeping UK, Anzac and US at bay)

It gets to easily distracted by russia and china. Which mainly have infanterie but a lot of them (eventually for china)
The 18 russian infanterie at amur (border to mandschuria and korea)... can you ignore them? or at least go into a manageable defense? Those 18 guys can pretty much ruin you day when left loose, so i decided to attack them at once.. destroying them all but in the process
- lost nearly all ground forces which were able to attack amur region
- had to pull my fleet to japan (amphibious assault) - thus putting no pressure on dutch islands in the south (those were taken then by UK and Anzac)

This and an expensive and fruitless China campaign (china dies only have "1 IPC" regions) led to the ultimate demise (in my opinion)

So my question is: how can you treat the 18 russians in amur region?

Are you playing with the most recent political rules rules? The Soviets normally won't want to attack the Japanese. Infantry isn't very useful offensively and it takes a while to redeploy any armor from the Russian industrial areas -- and Russia can ill-afford the distraction and lost resources anyway as it prepares for the inevitable German onslaught. The most recent Alpha changes have added more disincentives to Japan attacking Russia to make it more costly to them (such as potentially bringing Mongolia into the war). The Japanese have more powerful forces in the area and can more easily reinforce them as well so I don't see how those 18 Soviet infantry are going to ruin japan's day if they attack, except to the extent that they divert a some resources from other fronts. Seems to me Japan ends up being the net winner in that case, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like I said: Alpha +3.

Mongolian Factor there is (6 units), but what else would russia lose by attacking japan? Is there another factor I am not aware of?

I have seen what 20 Infanterie could to my german army in the last game. :) I dont trust a standing army this size at my doorsteps.

But probably you have a point there. I will consider this. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience you have to try to ignore the Russians, or setup so that the damage will be minimized if they go on the defensive. If you allow yourself to be distracted by them you'll give up too many other opportunities. The axis side is really playing against the clock and need to accomplish their goals as quickly as possible. I've found that when Japan tries to do this, their forces end up out of position to be effective on other fronts. It gives the British, Aussies and Americans less reason to be cautious.

If you search the 1940 A&A Europe forum you'll find many thoughts on playing, often at the end of session reports. Be sure to check those out.

Believe me (in my opinion), the Russians have other things on their mind than opening up a second front. Often if left alone they may try to shift some of those forces west or down along the China border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
In my experience you have to try to ignore the Russians, or setup so that the damage will be minimized if they go on the defensive. If you allow yourself to be distracted by them you'll give up too many other opportunities. The axis side is really playing against the clock and need to accomplish their goals as quickly as possible. I've found that when Japan tries to do this, their forces end up out of position to be effective on other fronts. It gives the British, Aussies and Americans less reason to be cautious.

If you search the 1940 A&A Europe forum you'll find many thoughts on playing, often at the end of session reports. Be sure to check those out.

Believe me (in my opinion), the Russians have other things on their mind than opening up a second front. Often if left alone they may try to shift some of those forces west or down along the China border.

+1thumbsup

Russia is not Japan's number 1 target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a huge reply with a strategy guide typed up, and then I accidentially deleted it with a keyboard fumble! aaarghhh!!

Anyway, the main point was to go for the money islands in the south, before you do anything else.

After that go for India or harass/fend off the US depending on what the US does.

Keep the Burma road closed at all times.

Again, getting the money islands to the south is your primary shortterm objective. I cannot stress this enough.

If the Russians attack you, it will most likely be with a converged stack of the 18 inf. Then just make hit-and run attacks with whatever inf can reach, and ALL your planes and naval bombards. Retreat when inf is gone to preserve planes. Repeat until the Russians are gone. You will most like take fewer losses than the Russians in the process, and they will be in a terrible situation after that.

My original post was more wordy, but those were the main points... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes essentially that was what I figured. But taking the money islands from the dutch means War with UK/USA. Or you wait until turn 3..

What would you do on the political side? Attack early or wait at least till turn 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Komsi Hawkeye wrote:
Yes essentially that was what I figured. But taking the money islands from the dutch means War with UK/USA. Or you wait until turn 3..

What would you do on the political side? Attack early or wait at least till turn 3?

In previous editions (OOB & Alpha+1&2) it has generally been an advantage for the Japanese to attack as early as possible. In OOB Pacific only a J1 attack was basically a no-brainer (and an autowin...) The only thing holding them back in a Global game has been Germany's desire to delay US intervention in Europe. I'm not sure how that has changed in A+3.

If Germany is going for Sealion, I guess the Japanese need to coordinate with to ensure that the US cannot intervene, but is attacked immediately after by Japan.

Again, I haven't studied the setup for A+3 very closely, but I guess it would take the Japanese one or two rounds to set up a buch of transports ready to take the important islands in one "surprise" attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. The fleet is pretty much north with 3 transports in SZ 6, 19 and 20. From which only the one in 20 is a position to reach a money island in J1.

So you might need at least one round to build up. But its probably wise to do so, to hit UK and US as hard as possible then.

This is not the original setup, but you can have a look at seazones and distances. When i reset the board (this weekend may be) I will change the pic here to start setting.

Man I am eager to play a new round. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
...If Germany is going for Sealion, I guess the Japanese need to coordinate with to ensure that the US cannot intervene, but is attacked immediately after by Japan....

The "new" AA gun rules (in which AA guns can be taken as casualties and the amount of AA guns is not limited to one per region) in combination with the new Alpha 3 set-up make it nearly impossible for Germany to launch Sealion. Germany has to search for other strategies to win the war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.