Subject: Playing cards (timing) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remigiusz Bajor
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for playing the cards are fiddly. After one play I still don't know when I can play hero/treasure cards. For me, there are two types of cards: "normal" which say "discard to do X" and those with condition "discard to do X when something happens". Those with conditions are easy cause you know when you can play them. But when can I play "normal" cards? Is it:

a) anytime I want
b) only during my turn (phase I)
c) it depends (depends on what?)

For example: can I play hero/treasure card during phase II - dragon attack, to heal myself just before he attacks me or can I play a card to steal from somebody after he draws a treasure or gold or can I play a card to add 2 value for my token just before resolution of that action box or can I attack other players during phase II etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

In most cases the answer is anytime that you want providing the card applies to the situation. So, for example:

You could play a card to heal you before attacking the dragon (you drink the potions and pull your sword to attack).

You can play a card to steal treasure after a player gains a treasure, and then of course they could block you in response with a card.

You can add 2 to your token on the action path, but only before resolution of the action path begins (not sure why anyone would want to play this card after some resolution because once a resolution of an action is done, it cannot be cancelled).

I would agree with you that the card play can be considered fiddly, but this is by design (although that does not appeal to some players). The game is meant to be a wild romp of heroes fighting, grabbing treasure, and running for the exit and right or wrong I believe the open play of cards works very well (at least it has in all the games I have played).

The FAQ has defined card play for a couple of situations that may create confusion, but for the most part timing and reaction of card play should be intuitive. When specifics occur I will try and answer the questions in a timely manner.

Sorry for any frustration you may be experiencing and I hop this helps.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remigiusz Bajor
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer.

When can I play the card to stop somebody from moving, before he rolls the dice for moving or after the roll? I would think that before the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

You are correct, before they roll the dice. I believe that one is answered n the FAQ with a little more detail.

Thanks for playing.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this thread is about card timing I figured it would be better to post here than a new one...

We had a situation where the rogue played a card that caused the dwarf to die. The dwarf then wanted to play a card to take 3 gold from the bank. Is the dwarf allowed to do this in reaction to the card that kills him, or is he simply dead? The gold in question decided the game so it was a big deal.

Likewise if I see that I am supposed to take damage that can kill me, can I play a card to heal previous damage so that it does not, or am I dead?

If you can play the healing card as I described, what about healing the damage you are just now taking.(I would assume not as that should be prevent not heal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.