Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb

Hello,

I accidently walked in onto your unicycling lancers and wondered if they are already for sale. And if they are, how expensive your models/game is. Cuz I love the style and the jokes and the [I guess] somewhat politically incorrect nature of it.

I've also seen something about cards, so I guess it's a card-driven system? If so, what is the card size; Is it Magic-sized cards?


Thanks,
N.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest.

Damned Hot Work is a fast-play, card-activated steampunk miniature rules system. The rules are designed to be simple, fast and fun so that a couple of large-scale conflicts can be played in a single evening.

It has no * official* miniatures of its own - you use the 28mm colonial-era models you own already. This is just a system. You will also have to provide your own brandy, cigars, and stiff upper lip.

Still playtesting and tweaking the rules at this time, but I did have a meeting with a Nottingham-based publisher this year about producing the full-colour booklet.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Leclercq
United States
Milwaukee
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As near as I can tell, there is no game, no rules, not even a website or blog; just a set of cards.
I like the ideas, but I'd like to see a little more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
more clutter
msg tools
Would be nice if it came with the miniatures as a complete package. Easier as a package if you want to give as a present, or take home and use straight away, and that way the art in the book matches pieces and the game era, also buying miniatures as separates is pricier and time consuming than a bundle.
Take home, rip off the shrink wrap, read and play.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does look pretty cool, and simple rules are always good. Has any progress been made on getting this system published? Or is it looking more like 2013 or some other future date?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
This game does look pretty cool, and simple rules are always good. Has any progress been made on getting this system published? Or is it looking more like 2013 or some other future date?


I'v regrettably had to place this on the back-burner, for sure.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update?

clutter wrote:
Would be nice if it came with the miniatures as a complete package.



Would a Dystopian Legions starter work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mark Chaplin:

It's been a little over a year since I last asked about this game. Do we even have a shred of hope at a release?

Regards,

-Me

P.S. - Would it helped if I begged?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
Dear Mark Chaplin:

It's been a little over a year since I last asked about this game. Do we even have a shred of hope at a release?

Regards,

-Me

P.S. - Would it helped if I begged?


It is coming.

I've said it before, getting folks to playtest miniature-based games seems a harder task than typical boardgames, and certainly more time consuming. Plus, I added in vampires, werewolves, etc, on top of the dinosaurs and Zulus I already have.

Also had to put it onto the back-burner for a bit due to 'Lifeform', and some 'Invaders' expansions that may never see the light of day.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mr. Chaplin,
If you are looking for play testers let me know. The game concept looks great! I sometimes play with the Chicago Skirmish Wargamers and they test play a number of games.
Michael Stachnik
U.S.A.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer One wrote:
Hello Mr. Chaplin,
If you are looking for play testers let me know. The game concept looks great! I sometimes play with the Chicago Skirmish Wargamers and they test play a number of games.
Michael Stachnik
U.S.A.


Thanks, Michael! When the rules are slightly 'firmer', I may send you a pdf for your perusal.

Keep in touch.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A new year, and another ping from me. So... how are the rules coming?

I still love the concept and play ideas that I have seen for this game. I would love to see it released.

I'm sure other games are getting more love, but I'll continue to stump for this one!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
A new year, and another ping from me. So... how are the rules coming?

I still love the concept and play ideas that I have seen for this game. I would love to see it released.

I'm sure other games are getting more love, but I'll continue to stump for this one!


Keep beating the drum!

I'm hoping Chechu Nieto will agree to paint the cover art.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
Avatar
mbmbmb
This is possibly my favourite annual thread, see you all next year whistle

(unless of course you need a playtester sooner)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tadpoleface wrote:
This is possibly my favourite annual thread, see you all next year whistle

(unless of course you need a playtester sooner)


Apologies. These things take forever to do!

The playtesting for Lifeform just sucked up so much of my time. And a confession: I fell in love pretty hard with another miniatures game All Quiet on the Martian Front.






2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Apologises arn't nessesary. The news that lifeforms is being throughly play tested is welcome indeed
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another year, another post. Slowly, this is turning into actual Damned Hot Work since I keep posting these pings in the summertime.

You can guess what question is coming next. ninja

......

So... how are the rules coming?
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
Another year, another post. Slowly, this is turning into actual Damned Hot Work since I keep posting these pings in the summertime.

You can guess what question is coming next. ninja

......

So... how are the rules coming?


Slowly!
Lifeform and Invaders: Armageddon have sucked up so much time and thought-space, in ways that are not always fun (or cool to discuss hereabouts), that this has got parked.

Also, after doing some research on the cost of dice production, I'm at a crossroads for Damned Hot Work. Do I alter the game so that (like every other rulebook-only wargame) it uses regular D6s, or do I plough ahead with my eccentric, blue, black, red, green, and steam dice system?


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Slowly!
Lifeform and Invaders: Armageddon have sucked up so much time and thought-space, in ways that are not always fun (or cool to discuss hereabouts), that this has got parked.

Also, after doing some research on the cost of dice production, I'm at a crossroads for Damned Hot Work. Do I alter the game so that (like every other rulebook-only wargame) it uses regular D6s, or do I plough ahead with my eccentric, blue, black, red, green, and steam dice system?


I'd just like to say I'm glad you continue to answer, even though this thread is four years on.

For my two cents, my personal choice would be to go with the eccentric system if it adds something to the game. Stickers and blank dice are available (though it would likely depend on the die in that case). However, I'd play it whichever way it came out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
Avatar
mbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
Another year, another post. Slowly, this is turning into actual Damned Hot Work since I keep posting these pings in the summertime.

You can guess what question is coming next. ninja

......

So... how are the rules coming?


You're a month early whistle

Yugblad wrote:


Also, after doing some research on the cost of dice production, I'm at a crossroads for Damned Hot Work. Do I alter the game so that (like every other rulebook-only wargame) it uses regular D6s, or do I plough ahead with my eccentric, blue, black, red, green, and steam dice system?


Could you do what Saga does and have a set of dice to purchase separately and print a conversion table in the back of the book for people wanting to use normal D6?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! I missed my scheduled annual pleading!

So... you know....

How are the rules coming?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.