Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have enjoyed playing "The City" using English paste-ups for the text on the German cards. However, we think we have found one discrepancy in the paste-ups' translations.

There are two files with English paste-ups:
1) petejacko http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76097/english-card-paste-u... and
2) MarkEJohnson http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72207/the-city-cards-v1

both use the following translations:
(the German text is listed and the translation in parentheses.)

Bürogebäude (Office Building) states:

$: 1 +1 mit Reihenhaus ($: 1 +1 with Highrise Apartment)

However, the Reihenhaus card itself is translated as the Townhouse card, and the Hochhaus card is translated as the Highrise Apartment card.

Shouldn't the paste-up for Bürogebäude (Office Building) be $: 1 +1 mit Reihenhaus ($: 1 +1 with Townhouse)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pasting my cards right now so I'd love to know the answer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little hijack of my own thread ... Here's how I did the paste-ups so I didn't have to damage the cards.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1288910/the-city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
Shouldn't the paste-up for Bürogebäude (Office Building) be $: 1 +1 mit Reihenhaus ($: 1 +1 with Townhouse)?

I have had nothing to do with the paste-ups. No one has sent anything to me to comment on.

That being said, the original English for Bürogebäude was "Professional Building" (i.e. a building housing Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, etc.), which gave a bonus of +1 for Townhouses (Reihenhaus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
A little hijack of my own thread ... Here's how I did the paste-ups so I didn't have to damage the cards.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1288910/the-city

Ug- I wish I'd done it that way- I had to cut tiny little headlines for most of them. This is the first time I've had to do a paste-up and it was REALLY tedious.

That said, I played it a lunch and it was good, fast fun. I way over-invested in my economy though so I was often slowing things down by having to discard down to 12 cards before even starting the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the original English for Bürogebäude was "Professional Building" (i.e. a building housing Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, etc.), which gave a bonus of +1 for Townhouses (Reihenhaus).

I didn't think you did the translation, but it much appreciated as it lets us enjoy this fun, quick economic engine game.

But, now we know that the Burogebaude (Office Building) should read that it gives a bonus for the Townhouse (Reinhenhaus).

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ug- I wish I'd done it that way- I had to cut tiny little headlines for most of them. This is the first time I've had to do a paste-up and it was REALLY tedious.

Well my way of doing paste-ups was tedious too, but probably a little less so than yours.

Well, let's game on in "The City".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Burgerburo should be Citizen's advice rather than City Hall. Rathaus is Town Hall and not on file, as is Flughafen - Airport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jonathan bruton wrote:
The Burgerburo should be Citizen's advice

The original English name for this card was "Civic Center", which is, imo, a far better fit with its powers than either "Citizen's Advice" or "City Hall", which are only rough approximations of the German title, as I understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, seems to fit the artwork better too. I only looked at a literal translation.

Thanks for all the comments Tom, made it much easier to pick up and play this good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated the file in the petejacko link with another version:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76097/english-card-paste-u...

Updates in mine:
- Put the German titles at the top of each cell to find them. I assume you will cut them off.
- Bolded and colored the Allows and Requires
- Corrected the BurgerBuro to Civic Center, and Office Building to Townhouse bonus
- I added most of the $:1 +1 text for reference, in cases where you could cut if off, but not in cases where it was below a Requires statement.
- I removed the table border lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.