Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Kickstarter campaign:
Quote:
And the Ogre and building counters are 3-D models made of heavy cardstock. There are already well over 15 square feet of chipboard in this game.

[...]

The 3-D counters in the game are made of 2mm chipboard, a cardboard-like material that's laminated with artwork on both sides. The flat counters will be 1.5mm chipboard. We'll give you a closer look at the counters in an upcoming video

Wow 2mm, sweet!...wait, what's chipboard exactly? Amid my elation over the heaps of game they are squeezing into the box I wonder to myself, what exactly is chipboard? Is it the same as the aformentioned "heavy cardstock" in the kickstarter post?

Apparently towards the end of that winding "Ogre 6th edition!!!" thread the subject came up:

palmerkun wrote:
red black wrote:
TAG-UK wrote:
On a side note, I wandered back thru the pages a little, as I thought I'd seen something said about it before, but no luck finding it - what exactly is 'chipboard'? For me, the term conjures up what the hideous flatpack furniture was made out of back in the 80's and 90's, so I'd love to know what it is

Thanks for the info. I don't exactly know what chipboard is. I think it's similar to or the same as thick cardboard.

Chipboard is the same heavy cardboard that most board game tiles and chits are made out of.
http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Chipboard-11-Inch-Natural-25-Pa...

palmerkun wrote:
Slev wrote:
I'm not sure what the Yanks call actual chipboard...

Particle board, typically.
Wikipedia has it listed as particle board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board
Quote:
Particle board, or particleboard (or chipboard in the UK and Commonwealth Nations such as Australia, New Zealand and others), is an engineered wood product manufactured from wood particles, such as wood chips, sawmill shavings, or even saw dust, and a synthetic resin or other suitable binder, which is pressed and extruded. Particleboard is a composite material.

Whereas for chipboard it says
Quote:
Chipboard may refer to: A type of paperboard generally made from reclaimed paper stock; the term generally used in the US
or Particle board, a type of engineered wood known as "chipboard" in some countries

Unfortunately the thread petered out before we arrived at any answer. Anyone have anything more to add?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipboard is the thick cardboard like the kind you find on the back of legal pads. Search for it on Amazon, I buy it from there all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
Chipboard is the thick cardboard like the kind you find on the back of legal pads. Search for it on Amazon, I buy it from there all the time.

Okay, so no different from the thicker GMT counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unfortunately the word "chipboard" does get kicked around for several different things, as Wikipedia states. If you found a precise definition it would be hard to be sure everyone was using the *same* precise definition, which means things are still ambiguous.

The important detail with respect to game descriptions is that this is a mounted map. It's not paper, it's not "heavy card", it's not corrugated cardboard. Think of a game board, for Monopoly or what have you. That's "chipboard", for conversational purposes. Some chipboard is thicker or thinner, we can talk about that in mm. Some chipboard is nicer or crummier, with the crummy stuff more like to warp or absorb moisture. I don't know how to determine or communicate quality.

So the flat counters in Ogre 6E stack up 16 to the inch, and the constructibles are a little thicker. We'll know more in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Unfortunately the word "chipboard" does get kicked around for several different things, as Wikipedia states.

Confusingly, 'chipboard' in the UK means what 'particle board' means in the US.

I think I'd call what's in Ogre 'punchboard', but I have no idea where I got that term from...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
andreww wrote:
Unfortunately the word "chipboard" does get kicked around for several different things, as Wikipedia states.

Confusingly, 'chipboard' in the UK means what 'particle board' means in the US.

I think I'd call what's in Ogre 'punchboard', but I have no idea where I got that term from...

FFG uses "punchboard" in their descriptions. All of the factories I work with call it chipboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Phil, can you tell us if this is the "layers of thin grey paper glued together" type or the "grey paper fibers glued together" kind?

You know what, never mind. All the recent SJ Games products have been really nice. With Ogre 6E they're going out of their way to make it nice. If this is at least as good as Frag and Awful Green Things we shouldn't even be worrying about this. It's not a poster pretending to be a game board but don't get it wet.

You know what we should worry about? Command posts. I've lost two this morning. Stupid cybertanks, they're always ruining everything for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
If this is at least as good as Frag and Awful Green Things we shouldn't even be worrying about this.

Exact same type of material. (Made at the same factory.) The only difference will be thickness of the pieces: 1.5mm for the flat counters and 2mm for the 3-D counters. These couldn't all be 2mm because of cost and weight. But once the pieces are assembled few people will even notice the .5mm difference between the two types of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.