Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to the inaugural Voice of Experience Review Contest. This contest is modelled on JohnRayJr’s New Voices contest, but its goal is different. While that contest aims to encourage new reviewers, the aim of this one is to promote critical commentary on board games, founded on in-depth exploration.

Users new and old, patrons and non-patrons, lurkers and site celebs are all invited to participate. If you are not inclined, or just too busy, but still appreciate well-written content about boardgames, you can support this contest in a number of ways listed at the bottom of this thread. Anyone can get involved, and everyone is encouraged to.

Goals and Participation

The aim of this contest is two-fold:

• to promote critical analysis of board games that goes beyond a summary of the rules, pictures of the components and a brief opinion of the game;
• to encourage in-depth exploration of games in a community that tends to be dominated by first impressions.

Anyone can participate, but you must choose to review a game you have played at least ten times. That’s the “Experience” part of “Voice of Experience”. Otherwise, it's completely open.

Prizes!

Prizes are available in three types:

Grand Prize: 100GG
Silver Prizes: 30GG
Bronze Prizes: 10GG

In addition, Grand and Silver prize winners (in order of judges' overall ranking) will get to pick from the prize pool featuring:
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Hawaii
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
JAB: Realtime Boxing plus Zombie Fluxx
A double Decktet, the Decktet book, 90 stacking mini poker chips, a couple of d10s [and probably a few other scattered tokens / bits of use] to play Magnate and the other Decktet games that need suited tokens
BattleCON: War of Indines + promos
£25 store credit for BoardGameGuru (European winners only)
Upon a Salty Ocean

And Bronze prize winners will get to pick one of their choice from these Adlung-Spiele card games (multiple copies of each available):
Palastgeflüster
Meuterer
Verräter
Ebbe & Flut
Vom Kap bis Kairo

The number of prizes awarded will scale with participation, with 10 contestants being the minimum necessary for launch:

10-14 users: 1 Grand, 2 Silver, 4 Bronze
15-19 users: 1 Grand, 3 Silver, 6 Bronze
20-24 users: 1 Grand, 4 Silver, 8 Bronze
25-29 users: 1 Grand, 5 Silver, 10 Bronze
30+ users: 1 Grand, 6 Silver, 12 Bronze

Many thanks to Jesse, Nate, Paul Lister, Brad Talton and Lee Ambolt for their kind prize offers.

Submissions

• Games reviewed for this contest must be published and ranked. That's it. New or old, obscure or mainstream, simple or complex: it's up to you.
• To sign up, simply post a comment to this thread that begins with I'm in!. I will be (manually) tracking the level of participation by the use of this key-phrase. You may choose a game right away or post again later once you've picked one out.
• Reviews may be submitted any time in the next month. The final deadline is Monday, May 28th.
• Feel free to comment in this thread as soon as your review has been submitted to geekmod. Everyone subscribed to this thread is encouraged to mod submissions. Let's help these reviews hit the front page running.
• Be sure to post a link in this thread once your review has passed geekmod.
• Contestants must include the phrase "[Voice of Experience]" at the beginning of the review’s title. This will help draw attention to your review and raise the contest’s overall visibility. Feel free to remove the [Voice of Experience] tag once the contest has ended.
• This thread will function as the contest discussion thread. Comments, questions, constructive feedback, general anticipation, digital high-fives, and friendly discussion are all encouraged from contestants and supporters alike. Let’s keep this thread active.
• Winners will be announced on Monday, June 11th. Aside from that, ranking of submissions will be kept private.
• Once prizes are announced, a separate announcement thread will be created and linked from a reserved reply-space below.

The Judges

• Submissions to this contest will be reviewed by a panel of judges. Each of these individuals was asked to participate because I admire their writing and because they have shown an interest in exploring games in depth and raising the level of critical discourse in the community.
• Each judge has provided some insight into what they look for in reviews, available below.
• Links have also been provided to a review from each judge as well as a review they highly recommend.
• Here are the judges, presented alphabetically by username:

Alec
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb

Alec's blog: The Jaded Gamer
A review from Alec: No map, no tech tree, but deservedly most popular civ game there is
Recommendation: An Honest Review from a Non-Hardcore Strategy Gamer's Perspective

I really want to get the feeling of playing a game from the review, not just a description of the mechanics. I am also looking for reviews that capture the personality of the writer, so that rather than being a dull reflection of the moving parts, we can understand the person behind the views and use this to interpret their relevance to ourselves.

I am not necessarily looking for a positive review when I read through forums prior to purchase. I often read negative reviews only, and use the clues to the author's own prejudices and dislikes to work out if I will really not like it, or whether its failings are a matter of personal taste.

Also, I have a few pet hates, bad grammar being one of them (though there is a free pass for anyone for whom English is not their first language) and haughty gaming elitism in their review or the comments section counts against an author.

I want to see an inclusive gaming culture where all tastes are catered for with eloquent, open and honest reviewing. The more someone has explored a game and brings over the feeling of discovery in their review, the more likely they are to get my vote.

Jesse
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb

Jesse's blog: On Gamer's Games
A review from Jesse: A Deck Building Adventure
Recommendation: What You're Missing: Cavum

For me, it is most important for reviews to be able to convey interesting tidbits about a game's particular dynamics and mechanics and how they impact both how the players decisions and how they relate to the other players. I do not think rules summaries are particularly helpful, and if the bulk of your explanation is of the mechanics then I am probably not going to be reading your review. I also appreciate games that provide a different sort of experience then others of their category so being able to provide insightful commentary about how a game moves its particular game style forward, or fails to, is particularly good. I also like to read about well-founded perceptions of how the game will stand up to long term play, since I particularly enjoy games that I can really dig into.

Jack
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jack's blog: well, Jack?
A review from Jack: A Landmark Game
Recommendation: The integration of theme and game mechanisms in Cyclades

I love a good review. Invariably, reviews that capture my attention are ones that follow some or all of this advice:
• Be substantive and insightful. Get inside the game and show us what’s so engaging about it.
• Be specific, and connect your opinion of the game with how it works. Readers should be able to determine if the game fits their preferences and style, even if they don’t share yours.
• Be organized. Choose a clear structure and support it with clean formatting. Think about how you want to lay out the information. Make sure that the most vital sections of your review are not lost amid a procedural, checklist style approach.
• Go in-depth. Get carried away.
• Above all, resist the temptation to describe your reaction to the game ("tons of fun!" "totally sucked!") without exploring the context that generated that reaction. You can get away with that among long-time friends who know you and know what you're really saying. We don't. So let's hear what all the fuss is about. Tell us not only the 'what' but also the 'why.'

Oliver
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oliver's blog: Big Game Theory!
A review from Oliver: How to Takeover the Galaxy - Hegemonic Style!
Recommendation: I'm a Stoner

A) I like to know what the reviewer’s perspective is going into writing the review. Are they reviewing after only a few plays or many? What were their expectations or preconceptions about the game? Essentially, I like to know what their bias is or might be.

B) I can take or leave exhaustive rules summaries. I'd rather just read the rule book. A brief gameplay summary however can be helpful.

C) The main thing I look for are reviews that really dissect the decision space in the game. I want to know what kinds of information I need to juggle, what factors weigh in on making a strategic choice, what the range of choices are, etc. By explaining the decision space, I feel I get the best sense of what the game will actually be like to play. Also discussing what player skills are involved (i.e. bluffing, memory, valuation) can be an insightful addition. In general, describing the decision space can be reasonably objective, although having more experience in a game will allow the reviewer to better explain the decision space and do so at a deeper level.

D) Comparisons to other games can be helpful to frame the experience, and in particular to aid in deciding whether to add another game to one's collection (or not).

Nate

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb

Nate's blog: Straight Talk on Strategy Gaming
A review from Nate: Agriconomics
Recommendation: "Strategy over Tactics," or "Why I prefer 1960 to Twilight Struggle": A (much longer than intended) review and comparison

In order to improve the state of board game criticism, we need critics who are willingly to look beyond a game's rules and mechanisms, into the styles and dynamics at play in the game. How does it feel to play the game? What other games [not what other mechanisms] is it like? How does the game present historical, sociological, political, or economic truths or theories? What species or types of decisions do you make in the game? How does the game make expected value ambiguous enough so as to present real choice? What is the relationship of the game to the state of the hobby and to the designer's other output? How does the game seek to interact with and improve the player? These are really interesting questions that would provide true substance to a review.

Martin
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Martin's blog: QWERTYUIOP
A review from Martin: 10 points after 10 plays: why I’m mostly done with CM2008
Recommendation: After 740 plays :)

Both parts of the title of the contest are important.

Like several of the other judges, I’m looking for pieces with a strong critical voice. The best reviews let me know who the reviewer is and where they’re coming from, so that I can judge whether their opinions are likely to dovetail with mine.

I’m also looking for reviews based on real experience of a game, not just what’s in the box, what’s in the rules and how it played the first time round. What makes the game different? How did your opinion of it evolve? What types of decisions are involved? What skills do you need to do well?

Mark
Mark Taylor
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark's blog: Painted Wooden Cubes
A review from Mark: The Game as Mirror: A Painted Wooden Cubes Review of Onirim
Recommendation: Take Us To Berlin and Nobody Gets Hurt: The Unwilling Partnerships of Preussiche Ostbahn

I want a review to be more than a rulebook re-write with a paragraph of comment tagged on the end. I want a reviewer to tell me not only if a game is fun or not, I want the writer to convey to me why. What's the nature of the interaction the game generates? What, if anything, has the game taught the reviewer about himself or herself? Finally, I am cautious about itemized reviews (with, say, sub-sections on a game's components, its flow-of-play, and so on): I find these rarely show me the big picture.

Supporting This Contest

• Please subscribe to this thread and leave encouraging comments!
• Please watch this thread for links and watch the front page for tagged reviews.
• Any Geekgold tipped to this thread will go toward prizes.

Alright, folks. Let's do this! Go, go, go!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Voice of Experience Spring 2012 Review Contest - 80GG Grand Prize!
Frequently Asked Questions

1. Should I Review Games that the Judges Rate Highly or Have Played?

You certainly may end up reviewing games that we like, dislike, have played, or haven’t. In any case, we will try our best not to be biased. I can’t speak for the other judges, but you’re not getting my vote for the grand prize just because you rate Tigris & Euphrates a 10.

2. Are Video Reviews Eligible for this Contest?

This contest is limited to written reviews only.

3. Are Thumbs Used In Any Way to Evaluate Submissions for this Contest?

No.

4. Can I submit my review in a language other than English?

I'd love for us to be able to evaluate reviews in any language, but unfortunately the seven of us are limited to English as our common ground. Submissions will have to be English-only.

5. Does this contest extend to RPGGeek and VideoGameGeek?

This contest is boardgame-only.

6. Can I enter a review that predates this announcement?

No. All reviews must be written and posted between April 19th and May 28th.

7. Can I enter the contest if I know / game with one of the judges?

Since there are seven of us, and we all like to game, this is bound to come up. To avoid the appearance of bias, these entries will be evaluated by the other judges. Easy enough!

8. Can one person enter multiple reviews in the contest?

No. One review per writer - more diversity!

9. Can I say "I'm in!" and then not submit anything (if anything stops me writing that review in the next month)?

Yes. Obviously we'd love it if everyone who enters follows through, but if you end up not having time, just let us know.

10. I was in the last New Voices, can I join again?

Yes. This contest has no restriction on who can join in.

11. I don't feel completely comfortable being a "voice of experience" on a game, should I be worried about this?

No! We're not looking for expertise, we're looking for experience. As long as you've played 10 times and can speak competently about the game, you're good.

12. How about a GeekList for submitted reviews?

As the reviews are submitted I will add links to the roster post (just below this one). That way we can keep all the discussion of the contest on this thread, and the discussion of individual reviews under the reviews themselves.

13. Is this contest aimed at 'strategic' games or would a review of Jungle Speed or Kerplunk also stand a chance of winning?

There is no prejudice whatsoever on the type of game that is reviewed - the only rule is that it has to be ranked on BGG.

14. I haven't ever submitted a review, nor have I participated in one of these types of contests before. When I submit this, should I check the "please moderators, give me some GG" box or not?

Tick away! Reviews are poorly enough rewarded as it is.Apparently it makes no difference anyway

15. Is it possible to do a comparative review? (1 text, 2 games of same genre)

Yes.

16. I'm going to probably write more than one review and decide at some later point (before the deadline) which is my 'real' entry. I assume that's OK? I assume that I should use the tag before all such reviews?

Write as many reviews as you like but please only tag one entry with '[Voice of Experience]'.

17. Is it OK if I write a review of X? Someone else has already marked this as his.

Multiple reviews of the same game are fine.

18. Are expansions eligible?

Expansions of ranked games are fine if you have played at least 10 games with the expansion included.

**Note: I will update this area to answer questions asked below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roster

eekamouse - [DriveThruRedux] #12: Acquire Revisited
jerubbaal - Brass
Bixby - Formula De
jkayati - Ninjato
derscheid
shadow_bind - [Voice of Experience] Ninjato: A review of the game on its own merits, and in comparison to Stone Age
lacxox
stefaan
touchstonethefool - [Voice of Experience] Sufficiently Different: Musings on Eminent Domain
domcrap
jjacjackson - Why is Caylus still in the Top Ten after 7 years?
tscook - High Frontier
orangeblood
DiAtros - [Voice of Experience] Innovation - Why a little chaos can be a good thing in your (gaming) life
agius1520 - [Voice of Experience] Reviewing In the Year of the Dragon in the Year of the Dragon
AdmiralGT - [Voice of Experience] Powering the Travelling Salesman: A Review of Power Grid
Kester
thepackrat - Age of Steam: what, where from, and why you should try it!
kurthl33t - [Voice of Experience] Finding Magic Outside of M:tG (Carcassonne)
Omahavice
Juxtatype - Diplomacy
DeePee - A sublime design (BattleCON: War of Indines)
Alex Brown - [Voice of Experience] Yomi
Bezman - [Voice of Experience] Jungle Speed - an exhaustive review
Gearhead - Astra Titanus
theory - [Voice of Experience] Dominion: 4000 plays later
andrewfoerster
PBeakley
jhagen1908 - Indonesia
garbagerunner - GUBS
Dereksson - Incan Gold
sgosaric - [Voice of Experience] Performative Co-op VS. Immersive Co-op, Comparison review of Pandemic and Arkham Horror
dragonstout - Magic: the Gathering
archivists - [Voice of Experience] Uwe Rosenberg's Agricola: A game of strife and violence?
chally - Vanuatu
leroy43 - [Roger's Reviews] 1989: Looking for Freedom
BennyD
phirax - [Voice of Experience] Nightfall Review — Kicking David Gregg in the Chain
ill6 - [Voice of Experience] 1830
Hobse
lexxparadox - Endeavor
Jefforama
ldsdbomber - [Voice of Experience] Tigris & Euphrates: There can be only one
seanXor - Small World
ludovicomartinengo - [Voice of Experience] Here I Strategize (Here I Stand)
alexgrant - [Voice of Experience] Phoenicia: Tom Lehman's Masterpiece
Driftwood1985 - Kingdom Builder
Lubi123 - [Voice of Experience]: Why I know I'd still be playing BattleCon 20 years later
andyl - [Voice of Experience] - Cribbage - still streets ahead
bwt2q
nycavri - [Voice of Experience] Reviewing lesser-known gems . . . Lines of Action
E Decker - The Great Dalmuti
Butterfly0038 - Village
Elendil - [Voice of Experience] Strategy and Social Skills (Settlers of Catan)
Morganza
twixter - [Voice of Experience] Beautiful and treacherous (Twixt)
jpeter - [Voice of Experience] - Jaipur - close to being the perfect couple's game
unkle - [Voice of Experience] De Vulgari eloquentia, a journey in the Italy of the Renaissance
Jesse F - Monopoly
dedlius - [Voice of Experience] Review of Dungeon Lords
selwyth - Brass
loofish - [Voice of Experience] A Loofish Look at Bohnanza
Falcons
scottredracecar - Zooloretto Wurfelspiel
MisterG - MisterG's Review of Judge Dredd
verandi
TimMierz - "How am I supposed to draw solidarity?" - Pictomania, a top-tier party game
mschlat - [Voice of Experience] Power Grid: Smashing Players Together Since 2004
panterasam
hanibalicious - Helvetia
W Eric Martin - [Voice of Experience] Innovation After Eight – No, 90 – No, 168 Plays (And Counting!)
shikosaki - [Voice of Experience] Innovation: A Game for Those Who Meld
Neil Thomson - King of Tokyo - A Detailed Review
Fwing
merc007 - [Voice of Experience] See Spot It Run! Run Spot It Run!
sucrates - [Voice of Experience] Sucrates' Review of: Eclipse
Rusty1982 - Lost Battles
clockwerk76 - [Voice of Experience] - The sodomite's guide to Dominant Species
Spacehulk - [Voice of Experience] Space Hulk: The Game, The Legend, The Legacy
Trantor42 - [Voice of Experience] Warhammer: Invasion through the eyes of a Magic player
pkufahl - [Voice of Experience] An Ongoing Struggle between Payoff and Ambiguity Aversion (Lost Cities)
kvenosdel - Sunrise City
huber - [Voice of Experience] 5538 Words About 1846
Bankler - [Voice of Experience] [Tao of Gaming Review] -- Roma II Mixing and Matching
DoomTurtle - A Year With Saboteur
dahlilama - [Voice of Experience] What I Like: Agricola
shieldwolf - [ Voice of Experience] Battlestar Galactica: The Game within the Game
manchuwok - Paris Connection: The Gamer's Filler
MrShep - [Voice of Experience] You always remember your first time... (Agricola)
kronik - [Voice of Experience] An in depth analysis of Pandemic and why it stands apart from other coops
MyParadox - A GFBR Review: The best and the worst of Battlestar
tmpoof - [Voice of Experience] Power Up! (Power Grid)

The reviews are also indexed in geeklist form thanks to kvenosdel:
Voices of Experience Review Contest - Spring 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results announced!

Voice of Experience Spring 2012 Review Contest - Results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, we need some better prizes. Let me see what I've got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just GG was enough for New Voices, but I'm very happy to accept any contributions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Just GG was enough for New Voices, but I'm very happy to accept any contributions!

Happy to donate something to the prize pool - which means I have an excuse NOT to enter the competition. You lot are a scary panel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

2. Are Video Reviews Eligible for this Contest?

This contest is limited to written reviews only.

Pfft! I'm in anyway.

I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

This is actually something I've been meaning to do for quite a while now. Kudos for getting together what looks like a stellar team of judges, here's hoping you get tons of quality entries.

Edit: after hashing over a few ideas, I think I'm going to do Brass: Lancashire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
I'm In

This is a fantastic idea. I have never written a review before, so this is a good opportunity for me to contribute to the BGG in that manner. Thanks for the proverbial kick in the butt.

I will review Formula De.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

I've been wanting to review a few games, so this is a great way to get motivated and do it.

Edit: I've been working up some thoughts on Ninjato, so I'll make that my game to review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Actually, I am looking to thin out my collection again and would probably be willing to throw in a few used games in to the pool in addition to the copy of Jab.

The only problem is that a) they are used games and b) some of them (mainly Through the Ages) are in good rather than great condition. Thoughts?

Potential offerings:
Puerto Rico
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Ascending Empires
Bios Megafauna
Dungeon Petz
German Railways
Hawaii
Key Market
Neue Heimat
The Princes of Machu Picchu
Puzzle Strike
Rex: Final Days of An Empire
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Upon A Salty Ocean

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key Market devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
Prizes are ok, but that is not why I am embarking on this. I like the spirit of what you are doing and it is prompting me to write my first review. I am probably a minority voice in the crowd, but I feel that sometimes prizes shift the focus of some contests. For me it is the journey, not the destination. I appreciate what the group of you are doing, I would hate to think that you must contribute monetarily as well as your time and effort to do this.

Just my two Canadian cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Actually, I am looking to thin out my collection again and would probably be willing to throw in a few used games in to the pool in addition to the copy of Jab.

The only problem is that a) they are used games and b) some of them (mainly Through the Ages) are in good rather than great condition. Thoughts?

Potential offerings:
Puerto Rico
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Ascending Empires
Bios Megafauna
Dungeon Petz
German Railways
Hawaii
Key Market
Neue Heimat
The Princes of Machu Picchu
Puzzle Strike
Rex: Final Days of An Empire
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Upon A Salty Ocean

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

If I didn't just get Rex, I would do this for Rex. As the prizes stand, I would be very happy to win Jab. It's been on my wishlist for a long time.

Different people will have different preferences, depending on how many games you are willing/interested in getting rid of, you could offer players a game of their choice from the list for the top x participants. Or maybe something like 1st gets a choice of game from list A or list B. 2nd gets a choice game from list B (unless 1st takes it first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Fantastic idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in!

I just realised the existence of the New Voices contest, and also the fact that I'm 2 reviews over their maximum 5-review qualification Still, I enjoy the challenge of writing reviews, and would like to give this a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
?
Can I say "I'm in!" and then not submit anything (if anything stops me writing that review in the next month), simply disqualificating myself? Because then I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. Great to see so many entries already! Let's leave the prizes to one side - the judges will confer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. I like the initiative and the tought behind it. Too many rule descriptions or rewiews after 1 or 2 plays. So I will write my first review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
"So long, play actor!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

I'll try my hand at tackling Eminent Domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! One more and we're launched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm In

(unless something dramatic comes along that kills my "free" time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly interested. I'm just withholding my commitment until I know I can commit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

I'll give a critique to my numero uno - Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.