Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Ground Floor» Forums » General

Subject: Overfunding #3: New Tenant Improvement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new tenant improvement is called Niche Market.

Niche Market: Do Not Drop at Retail Outlets
This TI will be availabe during Stage II and be worth 3 PP's. It allows the owner the option of not dropping the price of their product(s) that do not sell at the Retail Outlets. This provides the benefit of selling products during a down economy (knowing that you won't lose value), undercutting opponents on the lowest bracket (knowing that you won't have to liquidate), and of course camping out on the $16 space till you sell 3 rounds later.

Added tension and player interaction at the Retail Outlets? Yes, please!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a rule or a kickstarter advertisement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the rules for a new game component.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the option all or nothing, or can the owner opt to drop the price of some products and not others?

What happens if a product would drop into a bracket that is already full due to use of the Niche Market?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was Kickstarting a game and was posting about it, I would probably include a link to it. It might make it easier for possible customers to get there.

whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
If I was Kickstarting a game and was posting about it, I would probably include a link to it. It might make it easier for possible customers to get there.


You may be right, but consider the front page for this game's entry has a link to the kickstarter project, and there's an announcement post with the link, and that most of the people who would even consider subscribing to this forum either have already backed or have seen the kickstarter page and are on the fence about backing... I mean, if you weren't already aware of the kickstarter for Ground Floor, I wonder how you even got to this post unless you were just watching GeekCurrent at the exact right time.

Also... I think it might be considered spammy if David posted a link to the kickstarter project on every single post of his in the Ground Floor forums.

(edit: maybe you subscribed to the Worker Placement mechanic 5 minutes before this post was made?)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Is the option all or nothing, or can the owner opt to drop the price of some products and not others?
The Niche Market's ability is completely optional and can be selectively applied to each product you have in Retail Outlets.

Peristarkawan wrote:
What happens if a product would drop into a bracket that is already full due to use of the Niche Market?
Great question. If there is no room for your product on the shelf it continues to the lower bracket, if that means liquidation, then you must liquidate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Is the option all or nothing, or can the owner opt to drop the price of some products and not others?
The Niche Market's ability is completely optional and can be selectively applied to each product you have in Retail Outlets.

Peristarkawan wrote:
What happens if a product would drop into a bracket that is already full due to use of the Niche Market?
Great question. If there is no room for your product on the shelf it continues to the lower bracket, if that means liquidation, then you must liquidate.

Exactly! Remember that you can drop as many price brackets as you want - so if one is full, you have to drop to a different one.

Note: This means that if you price at $16 gambling that there'll be 4 Consumers instead of 3, and you lose that gamble, then you could liquidate your product for $3 (even though that's dropping 3 price brackets).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Exactly! Remember that you can drop as many price brackets as you want - so if one is full, you have to drop to a different one.

Note: This means that if you price at $16 gambling that there'll be 4 Consumers instead of 3, and you lose that gamble, then you could liquidate your product for $3 (even though that's dropping 3 price brackets).


Oh, I had missed that point in the rulebook. Then are you also allowed to voluntarily liquidate from the factory if the outlets are not full? The only reason I can think of why one might want to do this is if only low prices are available, and you already have a product at a higher price, and you want to increase the chance that the higher-priced product is sold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Exactly! Remember that you can drop as many price brackets as you want - so if one is full, you have to drop to a different one.

Note: This means that if you price at $16 gambling that there'll be 4 Consumers instead of 3, and you lose that gamble, then you could liquidate your product for $3 (even though that's dropping 3 price brackets).


Oh, I had missed that point in the rulebook. Then are you also allowed to voluntarily liquidate from the factory if the outlets are not full? The only reason I can think of why one might want to do this is if only low prices are available, and you already have a product at a higher price, and you want to increase the chance that the higher-priced product is sold.

yes, you can CHOOSE Liquidation, and as you describe - that's the only time you'd want to do that. And even then you may be better off pricing lower with a guaranteed sale at $8 (for example) and then liquidating the product you have priced at $12. Other times it might be wise to do just as you suggest - depends on the situation.

Note also that pricing directly to "liquidate" is functionally the same as pricing at $16 when there's no chance the $16 product will sell (because then you can liquidate the $16 product).

Note also also... if you have Premium Product, that $2 bonus DOES apply to Liquidated products! So you could liquidate things for $5.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.