Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2nd edition Vinci...should I replace it with this game?

Or is Vinci just as good or better in your opinion...or are the two different enough to warrant both in a collection?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is available for online play at http://www.jeuxsurunplateau.com. You can always give it a try.

Personally, I found it a bit more complex than Vinci (what with all that about technologies and stuff), and quite interesting, but I still prefer Vinci (or Small World). Sometimes less is more, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
asgelb wrote:
I have 2nd edition Vinci...should I replace it with this game? Or is Vinci just as good or better in your opinion...or are the two different enough to warrant both in a collection?

Those are questions which cannot be answered by random internet strangers, even if they share the same interests meeple. It depends on what you like in Vinci, and what you expect to like in Olympos. Or not, of course.

Speaking for myself, I think the similarities between both games are superficial at best. How the games behave, and need to be played, are completely different. Vinci is a rather straightforward sequence of land grabs where everyone walks in on everyone else's territory because it's worth points to do so (with some interesting maneuvring near the end); Olympos is much more deliberate and timely conflict to prevent key technologies, points, and free actions from falling into the hands of the other player. Playing Olympos with a Vinci mindset is one of the ways to lose very quickly: there are five or six ways to score points, some better than others, but different nonetheless.

I like both, but Olympos has much more of a learning curve which easily renders it the more complex game. And because it has this curve your gaming partners may not want to spend much time with it to allow the game some 'burn in' time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both, I do not see any real overlap between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.