Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally Posted at www.gameswithtwo.com

You're minding your own business, just cleaning up your room. Your making your bed and putting your favorite teddy bear away...then you hear a strange noise: something unnatural. You pass it off as your imagination and continue cleaning. As you are getting ready to hang up a picture, you see it! It's a monster! And it's right here in your room! So, you decide to face your fears. You walk right up to the monster and yell, "Go Away Monster!" Lucky for you, you scare the monster and he leaves. Good thing that it was more afraid of you, than you were of him.

Go Away Monster! is a Gamewright game for toddlers. It is for 1-4 players ages 3 and up and plays in 5-10 minutes. In the game, each player is given a board that resembles a bedroom. Each room has four items missing. The items are all inside a bag. Players will take turns drawing a piece out of the bag. If it's a piece they need for their room they will place it in the correct spot. If they already have the piece, they will give it to another player to add to their room. Play continues this way until each of the players has filled their room with the four items. The real kicker is that mixed in with the room items are monsters. If a player draws a monster, they yell, "Go Away Monster!" and throw the monster in the monster pit (this is either the box, the center of the table, or wherever you would like). And that is how you play Go Away Monster! Now, onto our thoughts...
I realize that this is not the normal type of review that you find on Games With Two, but our two year old just got her first board game (and subsequently two additional games the next day.), that I was inclined to share our experience with you all. Go Away Monster! is a great introductory game. It teaches kids how to take turns, and gives the players an end goal. The game is easy to learn, our daughter picked it up within minutes. It is also lots of fun for the little ones. Now, you can make it boring, but if you scream and yell when you draw a monster it can be a lot of fun. We picked our copy up four days ago, and we have already played it half a dozen times. The game not only teaches turns, but can help with your little ones vocabulary as you say each item you pull from the bag.

The components for Go Away Monster! are solid. Each of the pieces is made of cardboard and the four player boards are good quality. The box is also fun as it has a little see through window (our little one has fun looking at your through it). The price is also right on this one: it is under $15 which is great. I think this is one thing that Gamewright does extremely well, almost all of their games have a great price point.

Go Away Monster! is a great game to get your little ones into gaming. It's fun for the kids and you will enjoy watching them play. It works well with one, two, three, four, or more players. Our daughter loves it, and from what I have heard others say it is a hit with lots of kids. So, if you are looking a good game to start your gaming adventures with your little ones, consider having some fun with Monsters.

See more at www.gameswithtwo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much to it, but this was the first boardgame that I played with my son - at 17-months old. He understood that the monsters go back in the box and the other items go in his room (after only a couple of plays). He was also pretty good at taking turns drawing pieces from the bag. He is now 2-1/2 and we still play this game on a daily basis. I think this game is one of the reasons that we have been able to move into some other games that are geared at higher age levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. It's a great intro game. My wife's grandmother was over the other day and we showed her the game and she was very impressed. She wished they had stuff like this for her kids when they were little. The only game available back then for that age was Candyland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this for the first time with my 2.5yo last night. She got it, she understood it, and we had a blast. She wanted to play again and again, and then play another one of daddy's games. It's a great into into taking turns and sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.