Subject: I love the Death Angel rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sparkle Motion
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly every thread about Death Angel seems to have someone in it complaining about the rule book and how it's impossible to learn the rules without multiple read throughs and / or referring to clarifications on BGG.

I thought it was pretty good. I think I read through it carefully once before I started playing and at the end I felt I knew exactly how the game basically worked and had a pretty clear idea on most of the details and how to resolve some of the possible rule conflicts.

Certainly it was enough to get me playing with only a few refer backs needed during the play.

I'll admit it's not that easy to find things when you're trying to look them up later and a good index would have been nice, but it never takes me thaaat long to find what I'm looking for. Afterall it is pretty small.

Some of the rules are a bit fiddly, and it's easy to get things a bit wrong, but that's the nature of the game rather than the rule book and in most cases if you apply a bit of common sense the worst that can happen is you'll get the rules wrong in a way which doesn't really effect the overall gameplay.

Honestly compared to some rule books I've read recently I thought it was a dream. Agricola! - after reading that rule book through twice I still had absolutely no idea what the basic game set up looked like or really how any of the mechanics worked. Dominion - whhaat? - why's there two rule books that both look the same - how the hell am I supposed to know which one to look in when I'm trying to find something? Now I've got Prosperity expansion I have four rule books for what is really a pretty simple game.

I'm not trying to have a go at people who didn't find DA rules intuitive, it's just, I can't stand to be alone any more. Please, someone, anyone - tell me you found it ok too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Personally, yes, it worked for us - there was a lot of flicking back and forward in the first couple of rounds because of the traditional FFG approach of defining the turn sequence in the first half and the mechanics in the second half even if those mechanics can only occur at a certain point in the turn sequence - but we got through the first game fine, didn't make any actual mistakes with the rules, and understood what we were doing pretty well by the end.

But I can see why other people don't find it a good read, and it could definitely have been written better - for such a simple game with such regular turns, defining the game mechanics as they come up, rather than with cross-referencing, would make it easier to learn from and reference, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue is with the word 'attack', whick is both the the name of a central mechanic and an action card type (that allows you to make attacks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The design of the game is such where there's a certain level of abstraction that's hard to get a grip on until you actually lay the cards out and start playing. That said, I don't think the rule book is one of FFG's finest moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I had no trouble learning the game right (key element IMO) straight off by just reading the rulebook in detail once or twice (read it before getting the game on-off), I would say it is down towards the bottom as far as rulebooks I've read go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
_Sparkle_ wrote:

I'll admit it's not that easy to find things when you're trying to look them up later and a good index would have been nice, but it never takes me thaaat long to find what I'm looking for. Afterall it is pretty small.

I agree, especially on that.

lordrahvin wrote:
My biggest issue is with the word 'attack', whick is both the the name of a central mechanic and an action card type (that allows you to make attacks).

Could you explain this a bit more so it's more clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
You can play an "Attack" card, but the action on the card may say "instead of attacking, do X" and X is actually a form of attack (just one which is ineligible for re-rolls).

So are you actually attacking or not?

I take your point, but this was the first game i ever had a go at, and i found the rulebook a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is mostly well written, but the section on support tokens is put together poorly.

It states flat out that you can use them to reroll when attacking and defending. Then you read the next paragraph, turn the page, read through an example, then find "it is important to note" that there is a major exception to this rule.

Even then, they confuse matters by saying that the attacking or defending swarm must be in front of the space marine, even though there is no way for a defending swarm to be behind the marine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I love the Death Angel rule book

And people love The Macarena, Titanic, and Justin Bieber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparkle Motion
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Quote:
I love the Death Angel rule book

And people love The Macarena, Titanic, and Justin Bieber.

Just for the record. I'm not one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
_Sparkle_ wrote:

I'll admit it's not that easy to find things when you're trying to look them up later and a good index would have been nice

That's my only complaint about the rules. The actual content was fine, easy to digest, and clear, but a nice summary at the end of all the persnickety details (so I don't have to go digging around hither and yon for some small rule or other) would have been much appreciated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my criteria for a rule book is: Does it leave alot of questions that cannot be answered by looking into the rule book.

Almost every rules question posted in this forum, I could answer by quoting one or more page and paragraph from the rule bok. THAT is very rare for a game of that complexity.

The key thing is that people try to understand the rules instead of following the rules. Follow the rules to the letter and understanding will follow later. This is true of these rules. When I got the game, I tried to understand the rules. I gave up after 45 minutes. Then I came back to it with JUST following the rules. I lost the game but I finally knew how to play. Understanding came later.

By following the rules, I got almost all the game play correct on the first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the rulebook, and needed to refer to the faq to clarify a few points after 2 or 3 games. Now we need a rule summary containing all the details from the expansions. Maybe there is one already but I haven't seen it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaDemon wrote:
One of my criteria for a rule book is: Does it leave alot of questions that cannot be answered by looking into the rule book.

Almost every rules question posted in this forum, I could answer by quoting one or more page and paragraph from the rule bok. THAT is very rare for a game of that complexity.

I fully agree, there are few rules problems in Death Angel that can't be solved using the rule book (or perhaps the official FAQ). The rules are precise and consistent, if not always easy to grasp.

Unfortunately the POD expansions don't meet the same high standard... gaps and ambiguities abound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely one of FFG's better rule books. I was expecting an awful rulebook from everything I read here, but I read through it once, played through with very minimal rule lookups and didn't get any of the rules in the "common noob mistakes" thread. I thought it was easy to understand and personally, I don't see why everyone has a problem with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had problems grasping the rules until I played the game. Mercifully there's a Universal Head rule set for this game that's shorter and cleaner.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/59380/universal-head-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.