Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a good zombie themed co-op game for myself and my GF. The only particulars I'm really concerned about are a play time of 1.5 hours max (excluding set up and take down), no CCGs/LCGs, not OOP/PNP, not too random and something that won't get old quickly or a game that can be "solved".

I don't care if it's a campy B-movie card game or a hardcore combat oriented miniatures game I just want zombie co-op fun!

For reference we like: Arkham Horror (a LOT), Yggdrasil, Death Angel, Gosu, Mr. Jack and Nexus Ops.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter newland

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Have you tried Zombies!!! or Last night on earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know much about Zombies!!!, I hear mixed reviews on it (I should really research it more). But nothing beats Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game for amazing theme and fun. Unfortunately, I think with 2 players it's one person as the survivor and one as the zombie horde. With more players, it's more of a co-op

From the rules:
Quote:

1. Choose Sides
2 players 1 ZP, 1 HP (all 4 Heroes)
3 players 1 ZP, 2 HP (2 Heroes each)
4 players 2 ZP, 2 HP (2 Heroes each)
5 players 1 ZP, 4 HP (1 Hero each)
6 players 2 ZP, 4 HP (1 Hero each)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want LNoE but co-ops are a lot easier to get my GF to play and since she's the only other person I play with regularly it's not really an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You should check out All Things Zombie: The Boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could go for Zombie in my Pocket. Plays from 2-8 and scales pretty well. It is a semi-co-op with an element of screwage (ie, one player can say they're going to help you fight the zombies but then run and leave you hanging. There is a risk in doing this, though)

Actually, All Things Zombie that was mentioned above this post has looked like a game that's vaguely similar to Dawn of the Zeds, which I own, and is a fantastic game. Have a look at ATZ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dufflehead wrote:
Have you tried Zombies!!! or Last night on earth?

Zombies!!! is a competitive game, not a co-op. I think All Things Zombies and Last Night on Earth may be your best bets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye on Dark Darker Darkest. Looks to be a refreshing take on a genre that has not lived up to some people's (me) zombie tastes to date.

Not sure on when we can expect to see it put into production however.

Still waiting for a game that "gets" the zombie thing beyond cheesiness and b grade cliches. A game that will do for the zombie board game genre, what the novel World War Z by Max Brooks did for zombie literature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know how you feel about Kickstarter, but Zombicide is running with about 20 days left. It's full co-op zombie miniatures game. It seems fairly simple and fun (there's even a short game play video on their updates that shows you how it plays more or less).

It's a tad expensive (lowest level that gets you the game is $75 with no stretch goals, next is $100 and gets the stretch goals), but you do get about 70ish miniatures of different types with some cool promos.

There's also Zpocalypse on KS as well, but it's semi-cooperative (you work together on some things, but can screw each other, the player with the most kills wins game), but I believe they might include some full co-op scenarios. It only has 30 minis in the base game, but some are doubles, so the total # is about the same. It's a lot cheaper with a $50 level that includes base game + the stretch goals (lots of goodies) and a $75 that includes an expansion with 30 additional minis and an extra player that controls the zombies. 3 days to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd wait for Zombicide or you could check out Zombie Plague its a print and play game but very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend ZOMBIE PLAGUE... its far better than the competition and its FREE with wonderfully rendered maps, tons of card expansions and rules, easy to explain and to play and one of the few that plays great with 2 players and you can even play with more than one hero and do not feel the burden of managing several character sheets. Its GREAT!!

Even the Zombie master can be easily automated since his decisions are often easy to do: target the weaker link in the chain of heroes !!! Or the closest one.

Its a tense game and I recommend to use the following variant to avoid player elimination:

Place on the side as many tokens as heroes. Everytime a hero dies remove a token and respawn the hero on your next turn just like the zombie master places zombies: thats it by rolling a die. If there is only one token and a hero dies thats it, THE ZOMBIES WIN!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Wies
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past I also tried to find a good zombie coop whether is not oop or hard to find nor pnp. Unfortunately I found nothing but All Things Zombie: The Boardgame. But the ratings and comments leave me in doubt if it is worth the relatively high price (in germany). I didn't purchased it yet but I am still interested in it. Any thoughts on that game? What is good what is bad or ugly? I think that could also be interesting for the op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Code21 wrote:
In the past I also tried to find a good zombie coop whether is not oop or hard to find nor pnp. Unfortunately I found nothing but All Things Zombie: The Boardgame. But the ratings and comments leave me in doubt if it is worth the relatively high price (in germany). I didn't purchased it yet but I am still interested in it. Any thoughts on that game? What is good what is bad or ugly? I think that could also be interesting for the op.

Paul, I found All Things Zombie: The Boardgame to be real miss for me. It was a bitter pill to swallow, because I had high hopes for it. I also pre-paid a lot of money well over a year in advance.

My issues with it are mostly one of scale. Everything moves so fast yet the map scale is quite small. A whole house fits in one hex but only one hero can occupy a hex. Zombies pile up with no stacking limit. I think it would benefit by the addition of more interesting items and perhaps an event deck etc. The emphasis is on action, manoeuvres and combat. I play it and wonder why the heck I should not be playing the miniature version instead (which it is based on) which would make the mechanics truly shine. It does have some good mechanics, but they seem hamstrung by the very medium of it being a board game. It was a great idea that just does not seem to work. For me of course...my opinion only. It is a miniatures action game that should have stayed a miniatures game.

For the price, production value is also a bit lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Zombie plague! That game is amazing. And you can get pretty good, cheap zombie figures if you buy Zombies!!!. I would definitely recommend this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at Zombie Plague I'm going to go against my original decision against PNP games and print that sucker out. Thanks for the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.