Hide
8 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal / Dropbox problem - has this happened to anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Miller
msg tools
Playing a game via Vassal/Dropbox. Everytime I load up a new move file I get prompted to "Choose a Side" The other players in this game are not prompted, their faction automatically boots up with the log file. After picking a side, I can view the move and the game board. I do receive move files from the other game players into my Dropbox but when I end my log file I notice that it isn't sent out to the other players.

What could be the issue? Any ideas? Thanks in advance to whomever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it matter whether you launch VASSAL > then open the file vs. "loading the file" > then choosing a side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Miller
msg tools
I don't really launch Vassal. I launch DropBox and that pulls up Vassal. Version 2.7 Then when I click on the latest game file (which automatically gets loaded into DropBox from my game group via a direct email link) to load THATS when I get prompted to choose a side. It's like I wasn't assigned the French faction for our game but the guy who set it up reviewed everything and he says I'm set up and linked in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadnaught wrote:
I don't really launch Vassal. I launch DropBox and that pulls up Vassal.

Bob, I've replied to your geekmail. I don't recommend doing what you are describing here. For reasons I can't explain, I've often heard of people getting weird results when trying to launch VASSAL by double-clicking a module or a logfile.

I've always found the foolproof method to be this:

1. Launch VASSAL
2. Open the module you plan to use
3. When prompted by the wizard, choose to "Load a saved game"
4. Select the logfile you wish to play back

Also note that up until the point you have successfully saved your first logfile, you will be prompted to join a side. From then on, the logfiles will have your password embedded in them and it should remember that you are France.

Quote:
It's like I wasn't assigned the French faction for our game

It sounds like you might have Cyberboard experience, in which case this is probably a case of wrong expectations--VASSAL does not work the same way in this regard. The person who creates the game can only assign himself to the side he's playing--he can't assign sides to the other players for them, because each side is locked to a given player by that player's personal module-level password.

Each player will choose his side the first time the responsibility of creating a logfile falls to them. In the case of HIS, if everything is going smoothly, by the time the previous 5 players have done their logs and it comes to the Protestant player, the list of available sides to join should be much shorter, as Ottoman, Hapsburg, England, France, and Papacy should all be "locked" to the other players and thus unavailable for selection. Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I meant, double-clicking in Dropbox to launch VASSAL might be the problem, try launching Vassal first then opening your file, preferably from your machine not the cloud, or Dropbox site...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Miller
msg tools
Thanks for the responses guys, especially Joel. So far not out of the woods, but not from the lack of trying. Unfortunately me trying to open Vassal outside of Dropbox may somehow be causing problems for the rest of my group using the DropBox interface as the game state loses is correct sequence. Maybe. I think.

Emails with agreed on sequentially numbered files and Cyberboard seems to be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go the CB route, you can still use Dropbox for the sequentially numbered move files to save the email traffic, far more convenient imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadnaught wrote:
Unfortunately me trying to open Vassal outside of Dropbox may somehow be causing problems for the rest of my group using the DropBox interface as the game state loses is correct sequence. Maybe. I think.

Not possible. You are making a procedural error somewhere, I'm 99% certain. Dropbox is merely online storage for files. You don't "open Vassal outside of Dropbox" or "open Vassal from within Dropbox". VASSAL is a piece of software installed on your PC that gets launched (maybe from an icon on your desktop, maybe from an icon in your Start Menu). Then you open logfiles with it. Where the logfiles are stored or opened from--on your hard drive, on a USB thumb drive, on a cloud-based storage service like Dropbox--is immaterial.

The ways you might get the game state messed up would be to load logfiles in the incorrect sequence, or perhaps load a continuation without finishing playback of the previous log. Unfortunately VASSAL does not provide sufficient warnings or visual cues to keep players from making these errors--it is a known deficiency that will eventually be improved, I hope.

Quote:
Emails with agreed on sequentially numbered files and Cyberboard seems to be the way to go.

If it's easier for you due to familiarity, then sure. But there is zero functional difference between the two platforms as far as capability of recording PBEM game moves is concerned--the procedures are slightly different, but that's to be expected since they are two distinct pieces of software. I've played PBEM games with sequentially numbered files in VASSAL just as easily--lots of people do.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you work through the problem. If you want to try geekmailing me further, it would help if you described in excruciating detail (basically mouse-click by mouse-click if you have to) what you are using for a procedure in terms of loading another person's file, playing it back, and then attempting to record your own log.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.