Subject: Green-eyed boy 1B thoughts (includes SPOILERS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, please don't read any further if you're not already familiar with this story!

So I have been thinking about this story a lot. There seems to be a number of other posts about the investigators opening the Freezer even before the first event has been revealed, and so on... but what if the investigators doesn't do this? What if they do heed the warning and simply doesn't want to open the Freezer - then what is there for the Keeper to do to win the game?

First of all I think it IS clever how the end of the scenario is done: Keeper may jam the door leading to the Foyer, forcing the investigators to walk right past the Freezer. Then there is the barrier in Laboratory, which I think is there only for the "Loss of Will" investigator to place, aiming to slow other investigators down while they are walking past the door to the Freezer.
All this would work fine IF there was a feasible way for the Keeper to exploit it. My point being, the Investigator Guide says something like: "The Keeper may not move investigators into locked rooms"... This pretty much prevents the Keeper from using Uncontrollable Urges or Panic to force an investigator to enter the Freezer. All that is left is the mythos card "Compelled by Madness", BUT this card can only be played if the investigator in insane... And it seems to me that Witches are not that scary -> it would be very difficult to drive anyone insane in this story.

So the only way for the Keeper to force victory in this story is to drive an investigator insane (seemingly difficult) and then hope that he gets the one card he needs (Compelled by Madness).
So if I'm not missing something, this means that the story 1B in this scenario doesn't leave much choice for the Keeper to do anything but to wait and hope for one of the investigators to make a mistake?

There, that's the end of my rambling I must say I still like this story, but this is something I have been thinking about lately...
Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's a very long scenario; driving one investigator insane is certainly doable. Similarly, because the scenario is so long, you'll be able to cycle through the Mythos deck at least once, so you'll get Compelled by Madness eventually. Once one of the investigators is insane, Panic + Compelled By Madness kills them as soon as they get within six spaces of the Freezer.

Don't know what you're talking about regarding jamming doors, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're probably right. When I played the scenario, I didn't have that much experience, so I most likely didn't play very optimally.

salty53 wrote:

Don't know what you're talking about regarding jamming doors, though.

I meant the Clue 1B, which allows Keeper to seal (not jam, my bad!) the door between the Foyer and Hallway 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never seen a game of Green Eyed Boy go past 6 turns from either side of the table. My personal favorite was when I was Keeper and the Investigators lost on the 2nd turn.

Here's the thing about Green-Eyed Boy - it's a scenario entirely about the experience. Game mechanic wise it's horrible. The traitor isn't great and once the Investigators know the objective the scenario is ruined. But, the first couple times you play it, it will be your favorite scenario ever. As the Keeper, just spend your time messing with them and wait. The scenario is long and you've got all the time in the world. (With the end of the world being event 5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
pietu85 wrote:
I meant the Clue 1B, which allows Keeper to seal (not jam, my bad!) the door between the Foyer and Hallway 3.

Ah, right - I forgot about that. (I've never actually see Clue 1 found in Green-Eyed Boy.) But that still leaves the door between the Master Bedroom and the Foyer open, doesn't it?

Iammars wrote:
I have never seen a game of Green Eyed Boy go past 6 turns from either side of the table.

Not 1B, maybe, but we've played other objectives much longer than six turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

Iammars wrote:
I have never seen a game of Green Eyed Boy go past 6 turns from either side of the table.

Not 1B, maybe, but we've played other objectives much longer than six turns.

Er, that's what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing this problem with a lot of objectives- the keeper has to have everything work out perfectly right to even have a chance to accomplish his objective, while the players can just stumble on to theirs and have a really good shot at completing theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.