15 Posts

Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: can this game be playable solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
or do you must have other players control the other wizard and come up with their own strategic spells?

I imagine that you can't play solo because of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the very last game you'd ever want to play solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, Isaac, Isaac... wow

Posting the same question isn't going to get you anywhere homey.

But whatev's.

No, this cannot be played solo. The game is about as dependent on having opponents as a game can be. If you want solo play look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:

But whatev's.

No, this cannot be played solo. The game is about as dependent on having opponents as a game can be. If you want solo play look elsewhere.

There is a viable solo variant in the variant forum.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Redward wrote:

But whatev's.

Eco

LOL. Maybe asking the question a second time does get you somewhere.

...I think I'll ask my wife about me getting a paintball gun again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Redward wrote:

But whatev's.

Eco

Okay, nevermind. This variant actually sounds kind of awesome!

Solo variant from Sam And Max Freelance Police
Ecosmith wrote:
Sam And Max (Freelance Police) suggested this varisnt for solo play in a thread in the general forum

Quote:
World's Most Dangerous Game:

1. Set up the board as normal.

2. Your opponents don't care about their treasures. They only want to kill you.

3. During your opponent's turns, they do not draw cards. Rather, they move as directly as possible towards you.

4. If one of them lands on you, game over.

5. Optional: You *can* still attack them. If you attack, draw a card. If it's a playable counter, they counter it. If it's an attack, they will attack you with it next turn, if possible, IN ADDITION to moving.

Pretty obviously, this changes WW from a chaotic "take that" game to a puzzle game. Anyone played Pac Man recently?

so I thought I'd try it out.

I set up a 4P game, and I took first move.

In short, I won in 6 moves, and didn't really seem in much danger at any time. I didn't attack any of the other Wizards, and their move of 3 proved insufficient in compatison to my speed boosts.

I only played one game, and I'll try some more, but maybe some of you could try too? I thibk there's a good solo variant here with some bslancing done.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:
Redward wrote:

But whatev's.

Eco

Okay, nevermind. This variant actually sounds kind of awesome!

Solo variant from Sam And Max Freelance Police
Ecosmith wrote:
Sam And Max (Freelance Police) suggested this varisnt for solo play in a thread in the general forum

Quote:
World's Most Dangerous Game:

1. Set up the board as normal.

2. Your opponents don't care about their treasures. They only want to kill you.

3. During your opponent's turns, they do not draw cards. Rather, they move as directly as possible towards you.

4. If one of them lands on you, game over.

5. Optional: You *can* still attack them. If you attack, draw a card. If it's a playable counter, they counter it. If it's an attack, they will attack you with it next turn, if possible, IN ADDITION to moving.

Pretty obviously, this changes WW from a chaotic "take that" game to a puzzle game. Anyone played Pac Man recently?

so I thought I'd try it out.

I set up a 4P game, and I took first move.

In short, I won in 6 moves, and didn't really seem in much danger at any time. I didn't attack any of the other Wizards, and their move of 3 proved insufficient in compatison to my speed boosts.

I only played one game, and I'll try some more, but maybe some of you could try too? I thibk there's a good solo variant here with some bslancing done.

Eco

Yes, that's the one, although the amended rules further down that thread work better. it's also quite good for learning the various cards.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This video kind of explains to me why Isaac must play solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:

That is harsh homes... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
Epee wrote:

Harsh but funny at the same time

Can't we all just take a joke when someone is laughing at us.. I found all of these thread replies and the video funny. I was laughing.

but why in the video you include my mother? why cant you make my character seem more of an outcast like I am in real life and make the chraracter not have any real friends. at the end, he comes up with imaginary friends and plays boardgames with them

I can make and tell a better story meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, my best advice, if you can, start inviting and introduce boardgames to your family, or your collegues/classmates, neighbours, friends, some random people at the library, track back friends when you were a kid, play at FLGS (if there's any), start playing at public places to generate interest (I do this with my friends). Make sure you try something simpler/gateway games for starters.

You don't have to play boardgames alone all your life you know, although I know it's enjoyable (I know I do). You just need a little initiative.

Sorry for steering away from the topic.
- Damien

p/s I didn't mean to be rude, I apologize if it seems I cross the boundary. I'm assuming you're playing boardgames mainly solo now, so correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Redward wrote:
Epee wrote:

Harsh but funny at the same time

Can't we all just take a joke when someone is laughing at us.. I found all of these thread replies and the video funny. I was laughing.

but why in the video you include my mother? why cant you make my character seem more of an outcast like I am in real life and make the chraracter not have any real friends. at the end, he comes up with imaginary friends and plays boardgames with them

I can make and tell a better story meeple

I dind't create the video, it is an intro video of a game called 'The Binding of Isaac' - I just remembered you, since you play games solo, your name is Isaac, and you have mentioned your mother buying you games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
All games can be played solo, the true question is "Will this be funny"

for wiz-war, the answer is "no".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.