A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » General

Subject: should i get this game?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is it still worthwhile to get this game? I know the game is broken, but is it obvious?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think it's obvious.

If you avoid the discussions about this, you can easily play a large number of games. Also, even if you know about it, you can just play the french and let your friend play the british.

Also, there is some kind of random scenario generator in the italian version of the game. I hope it will be translated for the english version, too, so that could provide a solution for the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes, but you could still wait for the newer, fantasy version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been and continue to be intrigued by the possibilities this game presents.

I don't think it's broken. I think it is possible that the gameplay is so compelling that there are players out there who explored the current incarnation to its fullest and mastered its play.

I'm glad I got it, and I look forward to the day when I, too, think it's broken because I've wrung every last drop of goodness out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, buy this game, it's still very nice to play and discover different strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
zollom04 wrote:
I'd say yes, but you could still wait for the newer, fantasy version of the game.

What's that?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to check this out at the UK Games Expo. To quote their website:

Mythotopia
Treefrog Games
Final Prototype

Mythotopia, a fantasy themed game that uses the systems from A few Acres of Snow and allows for up to four players, is slated for release in July - just after Expo 2012. So this will be a good chance to play the latest Treefrog game.

link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
is it still worthwhile to get this game?

Hell yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
is it still worthwhile to get this game?

A number of other people have said 'yes' and they may be right but I'm going to be the dissenting voice and say 'maybe not'.

If you're going to play fairly infrequently and when you do try and strategy that you think may be fun you will probably get a fair amount of mileage from this game.

If you think you will play regularly and have a competetive urge to try to find the best strategy it won't take you too long to find it. From that point you may find (like I have) that you really lose interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, they have this great web-based version on Yucata.

You should definitely play it there first, and then make an informed decision about whether you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Fortunately, they have this great web-based version on Yucata.

You should definitely play it there first, and then make an informed decision about whether you enjoy the game.

DON'T MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
is it still worthwhile to get this game? I know the game is broken, but is it obvious?

thanks

If the Hammer is unable to be stopped, you could look to find variants that may tweak it. Only complaint I have seen is the Hammer is unstoppable. As for myself, I personally found the deckbuilding side make the game a bit frustrating for me, because it limited what I could. The short, didn't like the game as much as I thought I would like it.

I personally proposed in the rules and variant section tweaks that address the whole Hammer and balancing issues for the game. I am thinking the Hammer issue is likely way overblown, since people can't seem to always seem to pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dream of a day when threads don't contain the HH line of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Taylor
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just play the game. The British MIGHT have a broken strat, but I and my friends find it boring. There are so many strategies that the Halifax or Port Royal hammer is just sort of... meh. The struggle over Fort Duquesne can be riveting, and actually has a lot of back and forth. (I am referring to what happens when both players rush to the western end of the board and fight over the four to eight point jewel with the silly name).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
itchyrichy wrote:
I'm going to check this out at the UK Games Expo. To quote their website:

Mythotopia
Treefrog Games
Final Prototype

Mythotopia, a fantasy themed game that uses the systems from A few Acres of Snow and allows for up to four players, is slated for release in July - just after Expo 2012. So this will be a good chance to play the latest Treefrog game.

link.

Eric Martin just posted a news about it on BGGNews: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/9792/martin-wallace-round-...

- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zollom04 wrote:

The two (yes, I've played it) are seriously different (fantasy and multiplayer are the start of the differences) It's going to be possible to like one, the other, both or neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
The two (yes, I've played it) are seriously different (fantasy and multiplayer are the start of the differences) It's going to be possible to like one, the other, both or neither.

May I ask if the new game includes a 2-player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:

The details of how to play the "broken" strategy perfectly are not completely obvious. But if you get as far in exploring the strategy space as asking yourself

"Should I go for a military victory or a settlement victory?"
"Should I go for a thick-deck or a thin-deck strategy"

then you will find the gist of the broken strategy. At which point the things you can do are

Refine the strategy from a 90% win to a 100% win.
Try various variants that have been proposed, many of which do not fix the problem.
Play strategies you know are inferior, by answering one of the two questions above with an answer other than the one you know to be the best strategy.

If those things sound like fun to you, get the game. If you think that once you discover the powerful strategy one side has, you won't enjoy the game any more, I wouldn't buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to consider something else for purchase. No reason to rush into this game. It is a very polarizing game that appears to have been left to the community to fix. Strong words that are probably unfair, but the truth is you will struggle to find people willing to invest time to play this game.

Your best shot at consistently finding players willing to invest time in a game of AFAOS is through Yucata. At that point, why purchase the game? At a minimum you should strongly consider Tim's advice and play the web based version before purchasing this game.

Honestly, despite being in some strong board game meet-up groups, I still struggle to find people willing to play. I don't even bring it along with me anymore. I'm actually considering putting mine up for trade. But, I want to trade my copy to someone that knows exactly what they are getting themselves into.

I often wonder if "AFAOS" will become a term for describing a wonderful game with a major break or flaw (a la "Jumping the Shark" for Happy Days).....

Gamer A: Hey, did you check out that great game by blah, blah, blah?
Gamer B: No man...Didn't you read the Geek? That game is AFAOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
macleodsr wrote:
I often wonder if "AFAOS" will become a term for describing a wonderful game with a major break or flaw (a la "Jumping the Shark" for Happy Days).....

Gamer A: Hey, did you check out that great game by blah, blah, blah?
Gamer B: No man...Didn't you read the Geek? That game is AFAOS.

No, it's too hard to type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
I know the game is broken, but is it obvious?

thanks

Why would you say that? You haven't played it yet I hope...

If you think you'll enjoy it from your research on it then get it...now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think i will get it. I usually play with my gf and we like 2 players game. I don't look up strategy as i consider it cheating ( my gf don't go to BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
i think i will get it. I usually play with my gf and we like 2 players game. I don't look up strategy as i consider it cheating ( my gf don't go to BGG)

What other games were you considering? I mainly game with my wife and so we have many games that we like to play and work great with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have played lots of 2-player games (check my collection ) but always eager for more

any good recommendation i don't have ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
i have played lots of 2-player games (check my collection ) but always eager for more

any good recommendation i don't have ??

Well, I've looked through your collection and I've read most of the comments. It seems that we share a lot of the same interests.

Based on this, I'm going to make a few statements and you may want to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

1) You prefer games that can hold your interest but are not too simple.
2) From your comments, you play many of your games but not always to the point where you have fully explored them.
3) What's most important though is that you're not an 'expert' at Dominion.

A Few Acres of Snow is broken in its current incarnation with the official ruleset that we are given.

However, given that you are not an 'expert' at Dominion and that you don't fully explore all of your games, it may be possible that you never work out the guaranteed path to victory. Even if you do, a working 'fix' may have been found by then.

So, based on this, my question about AFAoS for you in particular is, "Do you feel like you can spend your money on this game and get your money's worth out of it?"

As for other recommendations for what you can play with your girlfriend, I would strongly suggest Eminent Domain as a start. My wife and I play that game a fair bit and we really enjoy it.

We just got Cold War: CIA vs KGB which seems like it could be a really tense 2 player game but I'd have to play it first to know for sure.

I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.