8 Posts

Gosu: Kamakor» Forums » Rules

Subject: need help on timing issues and card text interpretations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
krawuzi kapuzi
msg tools
hello everyone,

i finally got my hands on gosu: kamakor and instantly looked through all the shiny new cards
before i get to play my first game however, there are things, espacially some cards, that confuse me - maybe someone can shed a little light on these issues:

1. this is about timing and has been adressed before, sadly without anyone anwsering (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/774554/timing-issues)
a) if a standard bearer is trapped, do i get the bonus after a round?
b) if there are any cards giving me boni after a round (standart bearers, jae-dong,...) while zühü is in someones tableau, do i draw cards and then adjust my hand to three, or is it the other way around, or can i choose? or can my opponent choose if zühü is in his/her tableau?
i guess that if i get a bonus and have zühü down it's up to me, because a player can always choose the order in which cards are resolved, when s/he plays them, but unfortunately this doesn't cover the circumstance when zühü was played by somebody else

2. some minor thingy: mnow raa:
"When Mnow Raa comes into play invert 2 cards of the same level in the army of your choice. If you have the Advantage Token, the FREE card [...]."
why is it "the FREE card" instead of "a FREE card", or in other words, what free chard? the one i choose, i guess...

3. tyrsea vs. 1000 masks
"Any comple COLUMN composed of Shibuke ONLY [...]."
is a column composed of tyrsea, a random lvl 1 shibuke and a lvl 2 kobuke with 1000 masks considered a column with only shibuke in it? i mean, every goblin is considered to be a shibuke, but it's not shibuke only...

4. kobuke goblin spy and 42
this has also been adressed before (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/700665/bga-spy-bug), but i'm not quite satisfied with the ruling, because it is in conflict with the game is played otherwise
i seariously don't get why "come in play"-effects as well as things that occur due to mutation are doubled, because this is not how it is working, if you have two random goblins of the same name down - if you for example have a fire goblin sniper and you drop a second one, you don't get to destroy 1 (+1) and 1 (+1) cards
this example leads to another issue with the spy/42 when using the ruling of the linked thread:
assume i play it the way that is given in the thread and i drop a sniper next to the spy...do i get to destroy 1 (+1) card and then one more time 1 (+1) card? or do i get to destroy 2 (+2) cards?
i haven't played yet, so i don't know anything about balance, but either way it feels broken, whereas the first variant (destroying 1 (+1) cards and then again 1 (+1) cards) is so much worse...with 42 or even two spies you could really go crazy on your opponent's army - in two turns you can trap the entire force or destroy half of it.
of course, no matter how this prolbem is solved, you could also mutate kameo into abunakkashii and then mutate him...once again, i have not played yet, but this doesn't feel right...everytime you pass, you have to beg to god, that your opponent doesn't have a lucky draw so that you lose instantly...

i really appreciate any input! thx in advance for that...

on a side note: when i looked through the cards and found only one negotiator, i was like ARGH. then i saw the little piece of paper and an extra negotiator hiding under the rule book and was like YEAH.
great. customer. service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my cards or the rules on me at the moment, but I will get to the other questions at some point.

As for question 4, that was answered by Shivan, the guy who runs the official forums for Gosu. So his answer is definitely correct. If you don't like it, you can always houserule it yourself, but that is the official answer.

As for balance, I would say 2 things. 1) Wait until you've played the game. And 2) Part of the enjoyment of the this game is finding the fun combos that seem bah-roken. But those combos are usually only done once (fool me once...), and if you're playing with multiple people, good look surviving the round. Odds are good, once you've laid your sweet combo every person is painting a target on your back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiv@n Shiv@n
France
POITIERS
flag msg tools
1. don't have card and English names doesn't suit me very well... Must see the cards first...
2. Yes, a free card
3. Yes SHIBUKE only, so no other clan...
4. That's the way it works... It's all about cardname in text, not card effect... In your Sniper example : You put a Sniper on left of a Spy...Let's do it...

Sniper comes into play, you shoot 1(+1). That alright ?
Spy on its right has the same text as the sniper... so "when sniper comes into play shoot 1(+1)". OMG, a Sniper just comes into play on its left so it triggers too...

not 2(+2) but 1(+1) AND AFTER 1(+1), it's better this way for me, you shoot 1 FREE and then 1 card that becomes FREE due to the first shoot and your opponent is just gulp
I don't see how it is difficult to understand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a) if a standard bearer is trapped, do i get the bonus after a round?

I guess I don't understand this question. You only get the effect of a standard-bearer if the card is untrapped. What effect are you asking about? If you are asking about the standard effect (don't have to pay the cost for cards coming in on the right) then that works like every other card. It's effect is active as long as it's not trapped.

Quote:
b) if there are any cards giving me boni after a round (standart bearers, jae-dong,...) while zühü is in someones tableau, do i draw cards and then adjust my hand to three, or is it the other way around, or can i choose? or can my opponent choose if zühü is in his/her tableau?

The active player chooses the order in which cards are activated, although each card must be activated. The person with the advantage token would get to choose. (Shivan, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krawuzi kapuzi
msg tools
at first, thanks for clarifying my issues regarding 2. and 3.!

@1. zühü is the lvl 3 shadow goblin that forces every player to adjust hand size to 3

weirdboy_1 wrote:

I guess I don't understand this question. You only get the effect of a standard-bearer if the card is untrapped. What effect are you asking about? If you are asking about the standard effect (don't have to pay the cost for cards coming in on the right) then that works like every other card. It's effect is active as long as it's not trapped.

i am talking about the two cards/the dragoon token you get as along as a recruiter is the most left card in your army

Quote:
The active player chooses the order in which cards are activated, although each card must be activated. The person with the advantage token would get to choose.

the second part was the answer i was looking for, thanks

@4. i guess i can't stress this enough...i don't have balance concerns...as i said, it seems overpowered, but that doesn't mean that it actually is...i am well aware of that...
my issue with the spy/42 is, that, on the one hand, the card text in no way suggests that the card works the way the official ruling states
this might be because english is not my first language or maybe the text is just badly worded, i don't know
on the other hand, the official ruling is an exception to the way the game is otherwise played: "It's all about cardname in text, not card effect"
it feels a little akward that this is only true for the spy/42 but not for any other lvl 1 card, i.e. if you have a sniper down, and you drop the second one, you don't get the effect twice, because it is not about cardname in the text...so far, the card name beared no meaning, because what the card text meant was always "when THIS card mutates/is destroyed/whatever..."
furthermore, to back this up, if i have a sniper and on its left a spy and then drop the second sniper somewhere else, its "come in play"-effect also isn't doubled...once again, it's not about the name of the card in the text that is written on the card...

lastly: "I don't see how it is difficult to understand..."
one of the reasons, dominion never hits my table is a card called "throne room", which is in spirit very similar to the spy/42
and allthough it comes with 2 pages of clarification of synergies with other cards, every game of dominion i had ended in a philosophical discussion about what is doubled, when this doubling takes place, etc
thus i wanted to get rid of every uncertainty that might occur in order to prevent kamakor to share dominion's fate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiv@n Shiv@n
France
POITIERS
flag msg tools
Sorry, I wanted to be ironic saying "it's easy to understand", but obviously, it doesn't go well in english... Sorry about that !

Actually your right about the "this" thing and it go my way... Cards should be read "when this sniper comes into play..."

No spy :
You put a sniper 'this sniper shoot 1 (+1)'
You put a second sniper 'this sniper shoot 1(+1)', so you don't double the effect since there is only one sniper coming into play.

Spy :
You have a spy in second column (for example).
You manage to get a sniper on its left.
Sniper effect 'when this sniper comes into play shoot 1(+1)'
Spy have the cardtext from the card on its left. always. in any state the card on its left is.
So Spy get the text 'when this sniper comes into play shoot 1(+1)' : this sniper being the one on its left and coming into play,it triggers too.

Is it clearer ? I hope so...

I think there is no "special treatment" for spy comparing to other cards (and 42 works the same way...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krawuzi kapuzi
msg tools
Shivan0910 wrote:
Sorry, I wanted to be ironic saying "it's easy to understand", but obviously, it doesn't go well in english... Sorry about that !

no problem, i did take no offense in that...

Quote:

Is it clearer ? I hope so...

I think there is no "special treatment" for spy comparing to other cards (and 42 works the same way...)

well, i guess i got it now
i just played my first two games...
and to make sure indeed got it right...
spy/42 kicks in when the following effects occur:
come in play
mutate
gets trapped
after each round

but not when something is activated via activation/dragoon token
furthermore:
assume i have a card that can be activated via a token, on the right of it elki (whenever a card on the right/left is activated, draw one card), then 42 and another card that can be activated
if i activate the most left card, i draw two cards
if i activate the most rigt card, nothing happens

if i lay down as my first card a recruiter, then spy and then any other lvl 1 card of any of the not yet played clans, i do have to pay for it, but it get 4 cards/2 dragoon tokens at the end of the round

is this all correct? did i miss something/any special case?

and two more things:
spy/42 have the same mutation cost as the card on their left, but do they also have the same mutation type, i.e. zombie mutation or shadow jump?

this one is pretty clear, but i ask it anyway:
in order to drop a lvl 2 kobuke with 1000 masks i need a lvl 1 kobuke, i.e. the 1000 masks perk comes into play after the card is place, and not at the same moment it is placed, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.