Subject: Photos from the American Civil War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of these I have not seen before:

The Places:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-par...

The People:

The Stereographs:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting these links. Great photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
! Amazing shots !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it's like, it actually happened! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pinkerton picture on page one looks like a miniatures job. Am I the only one that gets that impression? Look at the tent line and near the horse's forelegs, the trees and grass don't help. But the man himself looks perfectly real!

My brain, it is confuzed!

Great photos, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
So many pictures taken during the war were lost. Photography was in it's infancy and it was thought afterwards that people simply wouldn't be interested in them. Many glass negatives were destroyed. Some were used for green houses.

Notes on a few photographs.

Page 1

#2: Good picture of just how trashed Sumter was by the bombardment.

#3: Yeah! The Robert Morris! Named after my great great great great great grandfather.

#5: Let's face it. Washington in the civil war was a dump.

#19: These horses were artillery horses for the most part. They were part of teams for the artillery units deployed foolishly along the Emmittsburg Road and the Peach Orchard by Dan Sickles on July 2nd. When withdrawing the Confederates began targeting the horses to prevent the guns from getting away so they could be captured. Thousands of horses died at Gettysburg.

#20: Note the people outside the walls high up in the trees watching.

#22: Note the canister rounds in the foreground.

#24: Note the feet of the Confederates. There are no barefoot Confederates in any pictures from Gettysburg. These bodies have all had their shoes removed. The disheveled cloths are likely from the bodies being looted.

Page 2

#5: Lee did not like having full length portraits done of himself. He was very long waisted and didn't like how he looked. Note this was taken in Richmond just a few days after his surrender and he has removed the insignia from his coat.

#14: This photograph has often been used as an example of what grapeshot can do to a man. The truth is the man's body was likely eaten by wild pigs that roamed the Gettysburg area. After the second day's fighting there were a lot of wounded in between the lines. There were many reports of men hearing the wounded screaming in the night as they were attacked by these pigs. One officer wrote about using his sword to beat off a wild pig that attacked him as he lay on the field wounded.

#37: Shows just how much taller Lincoln was than most other men. The man on the far right in front of the tent is George Custer.

Page 3

#7 This picture was taken on the east side of the Lutheran Seminary. For all the talk of ragged Confederates these guys are well equipped and shod.

#8 Part of a series of pictures. The photographer continued to reload and take pictures. The result is we see Grant getting up, walking over to Meade and leaning over as they discuss a map Meade is examining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pics, and Brian thanks for answering most of the questions I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Union sure had a lot of balls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Amazing pictures, thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating, I've never really been interested in ACW stuff before but I've a growing interest in it lately.

The USS Essex is beautiful, like something out of a Verne novel. I had no idea those things existed until recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. Helps give a better scope of the magnitude of this conflict, not much known in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Great links, thanks for posting!

What's with the pictures (page 2) of officers with their hand in jacket, Napoleon style. Allures of grandeurs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome pictures, although a bit biased against the south in the subtlety of its' presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't the typical height of a man back then a touch over five feet? Lincoln is said to have been about 6'4". Average height for a man nowadays is six feet. I'd say the fellas around Lincoln are a tad over 5', wouldn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:
Wasn't the typical height of a man back then a touch over five feet?

I saw a couple pages of recruiting documents not long ago, with maybe 75-100 entries. The heights were mostly in the 5'5" - 5'8" range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTak wrote:
The Pinkerton picture on page one looks like a miniatures job. Am I the only one that gets that impression? Look at the tent line and near the horse's forelegs, the trees and grass don't help. But the man himself looks perfectly real!

I had exactly the same impression.

I love looking at old photos like these. The quality is quite amazing for so long ago. It's like looking back in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Petru5 wrote:
Wasn't the typical height of a man back then a touch over five feet?

I saw a couple pages of recruiting documents not long ago, with maybe 75-100 entries. The heights were mostly in the 5'5" - 5'8" range.

Accortding to statistics - the height of vikings were 3 inches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theTak wrote:

Great photos, thanks for sharing! :D

That effect is caused by a Petzval lens which was the first high speed (optically - f/3.8 was possible) lens available which is what made what we think of as normal portraiture possible. Most pictures like this would have been cropped or had the OOF areas covered up as that swirly OOF look was not appreciated back then.

Now, of course, it's considered cool & it's part of why they go for more money than this large format photographer can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wlewisiii wrote:
theTak wrote:

That effect is caused by a Petzval lens which was the first high speed (optically - f/3.8 was possible) lens available which is what made what we think of as normal portraiture possible. Most pictures like this would have been cropped or had the OOF areas covered up as that swirly OOF look was not appreciated back then.

Now, of course, it's considered cool & it's part of why they go for more money than this large format photographer can afford.

Hey cool insight, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.