Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related to this thread: Game I want or game that will get played?

I'd just thought to ask for some game ideas:

Ideally:
- game with a narrative scope (beginning, middle, end). 2-3 hours. Can tolerate 4 hours on first time.
- not every decision counts, so you can enjoy the ride
- relative ease of learning for new players and relatively fluid flow of the game
- interaction (no resource engines and other MPS pursuits)
- ideally 4 players with tolerance +/- 1.

In short: nongamer friendly epic (yeah I know)

what I I'm thinking of:
- Game of Thrones (+ negotiation, - high player count, complex?)
- Fury of Dracula (+ theme, - is it a good game?)
- Dominant Species - I've played it (+ ease of play and nice gameflow, - opaque)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games come to my mind, depending on how you define narrative:
* Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - not sure if civ game can be what you describe narrative, but I think rest of conditions are met
* Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - here you probably need 5-6 to really enjoy, plus it is coop/traitor, so I dont know if thats what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I unboxed and skimmed the rules for a game that might be worth your time to investigate further:

Conquest of Paradise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Just read the historical notes a couple nights ago, but haven't got further yet. You're ahead of me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula is a 60-90 minute game padded out to two hours plus. The strength of the narrative depends on how the Dracula players approaches the game. One who focusses on stealth and evasion can make life too hard for the hunters.

Tales of the Arabian Nights is so light that some barely consider it a game, BUT, it's easy to learn and produces some fantastic stories and fits all your criteria except interaction.

It can be a bit on the short side, and is going out of print but The World Cup Game is full of narrative, with meaty decisions springing from simple rules.

I like the scope of Small World with races rising up and going into decline, but again it might be a bit on the short side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games come to my mind, both of them being epic and light. However, they fail to meet some other criteria.

Number 1 is Space Hulk. Very light rules wise, extremely epic in the stories it tells. Fast, brutal, no victory points, its just kill or be killed. Multiple plays within one gaming session are perfectly possible.
Fail: 2 players only

Number 2 is Talisman. Also very light on the rules, definitely separated in beginning, midgame and endgame, lots of interaction (well, depends on how much interaction the players want to), no victory points, handles 4+ players easily.
Fails:
- not so good with 2 or 3 players (board is not crowded enough)
- playing time can vary a great deal. From 2 hours to 6 hours everything is possible

Maybe Dreadfleet could be another option, as it is said to be also light on rules and a lot of fun if every player just grabs some ships and have a go at it. Furthermore with all the random event cards showing up during the game mistakes in decision making shouldn't have too much impact on the outcome.
However, I don't have any first hand experience, this is just what I read and what I was told by friends owning the game.

Potential fail: miniatures have to be assembled at least, ideally receive some paint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaks to everybody on imput. I decided on Game of Thrones, but there are nice ideas out here for future purchases.

(TOTAN I own, my group loves it.

@matt_k - Good call on FoD, heard it from my FLGS staff that its okay if you're into vampires, otherwise, there are other games. Your comment explains all the hot/cold reviews I've read so far on this game.

Smallworld was the second pick, but, not what I'm after. I like it (played once), but don't see it as steamy love affair. Will play some more and see in the future whether I need to buy it.

BSG - I'll play it next week and see how I like it. 5 and 6 people is hard to get with our group, but I've decided on GoT because I just like Diplomacy and this is said to be similar. Looking forward to playing this one.

Conquest of Paradise - I've looked into it, but has general lukewarm reception. Said to be a nice variant on 4X games. I'll see if it crosses my path again.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - Good suggestion. I think I can get somebody at my club to bring it to our gamenights. I own TTA (unplayed), so I'll wait to digest this one first.

Talisman. Dunno. Also BAHOTH is similar niche. Light fun, story driven. not sure if epic. will try to play somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
After some thinking I was also going to recommend Cyclades - I found it very new-player friendly - but I've noticed you already have it. Great game.

As for TTA - I like to play it with my wife, but I was unable to get through explaining the rules with my friends - very new user unfriendly

Talisman - I have a problem that you dont make any decision in this game - you roll dice to move, then draw random event, then roll dice to find out the outcome (I'm bit exaggerating, but you get the idea). I bought it out of nostalgy - I loved it when I was 12 and now its waiting for my daughter to get older

And GoT - I played it only once with 4 and it wasnt much fun ( I won as Baratheon because north players were fight among themselves) and then always tried to get 6 for that. But I think even with 4 when playing with same people, who will learn where to attack (kill Baratheon ) it may give both great fun and epic feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. It's got three ages so definitely a beginning, middle and end. Many decisions in the game, a minimum of 6 in a turn, so it's not like each decision determines how you do.

I would also recommend Power Grid and Princes of Florence but the decisions are on a razor's edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
After some thinking I was also going to recommend Cyclades - I found it very new-player friendly - but I've noticed you already have it. Great game.

And with experienced players it has the right scope. Next time, I'll play it, I'll go for new set up variant from expansion (bidding for islands). This is one game I like in the way it develops (if players know how to stop first few winning attempts).

godunow wrote:
And GoT - I played it only once with 4 and it wasnt much fun ( I won as Baratheon because north players were fight among themselves) and then always tried to get 6 for that. But I think even with 4 when playing with same people, who will learn where to attack (kill Baratheon ) it may give both great fun and epic feel.

If it's anything like Diplomacy, that should work. I've heard it's unbalanced with 4 (or is that "scripted"?).

ralpher wrote:
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. It's got three ages so definitely a beginning, middle and end. Many decisions in the game, a minimum of 6 in a turn, so it's not like each decision determines how you do.

I would also recommend Power Grid and Princes of Florence but the decisions are on a razor's edge.

I also like (and own= Power Grid but it's unappeling graphics and theme don't put it on the table often enough. The narrative scope there is neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

godunow wrote:

If it's anything like Diplomacy, that should work. I've heard it's unbalanced with 4 (or is that "scripted"?).

It is unbalanced in a way Cosmic Encounter is unbalanced - yes, imho Baratheon player has much more space to develop, but just after one game everyone else should know that - and game gives them ability to counter that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

In short: nongamer friendly epic (yeah I know)

what I I'm thinking of:
- Dominant Species - I've played it (+ ease of play and nice gameflow, - opaque)

Dominant Species is a great game, however it's anything but nongamer friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Ämmälä
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the specs for your query. I understand fully what you are seeking for:

My several cents:

About Game of Thrones : this is a great game but it needs 5 players and it can rarely played under 4h even with experienced players.

* I repeat the key specs:
- 3h about
- Ride is more important than optimizatio of an engine.
- Interaction is important.
- 4 (+1/-1) player count.

And I suggest to check out:

Rise of Empires - one of my favourite civ(lite) games. the play ALWAYS lasts 3h.

.mikko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
sgosaric wrote:

It is unbalanced in a way Cosmic Encounter is unbalanced - yes, imho Baratheon player has much more space to develop, but just after one game everyone else should know that - and game gives them ability to counter that.

This I can live with.

Sicaria wrote:
Dominant Species is a great game, however it's anything but nongamer friendly.

I dunno, the rules are very well written and I had less trouble with the game than with many middle weight ones. Sure, figuring out how to win the game, is another matter, but that doesn't matter on first play. You might be onto something though - one of our "gamers" had trouble with the rules and the others had to help him, show him the best moves and yes, he won... (apparently we did a good job, but next time, he's on his own).
MichaelB wrote:
I like the specs for your query. I understand fully what you are seeking for:

My several cents:

About Game of Thrones : this is a great game but it needs 5 players and it can rarely played under 4h even with experienced players.

* I repeat the key specs:
- 3h about
- Ride is more important than optimizatio of an engine.
- Interaction is important.
- 4 (+1/-1) player count.

And I suggest to check out:

Rise of Empires - one of my favourite civ(lite) games. the play ALWAYS lasts 3h.

.mikko

I'm confused about this trilogy (the same way with Wallace's four same games on trains). Which one to check? Which is better? They look the same to me.

Struggle of Empires
Conquest of the Empire
Rise of Empires

can anybody compare this (or share a link to comparison)?
Somebody in my gaming club has conquest of the empires, so I could try this one - is this a good example of the series, or is Rise of the Empires totally different / better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
I got here late, but I will suggest you check out Nexus Ops.

Good one. How come nobody has said Eclipse yet? I don't see a criteria it doesn't meet... maybe... maybe too, I don't know, complicated for new people? I suppose it does take a bit to teach. Well, I think it's what you might be really looking for. You'll only have to teach it once or twice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Good one. How come nobody has said Eclipse yet?

OOP, and I have a gift certificate to spend now at my FLGS.
But my gaming club has it on preorder so I can play it when it arrives and see for myself. Hopefully, I'll have some of my own cash to spend on games in foreseeable future as well.

oeste wrote:
I got here late, but I will suggest you check out Nexus Ops.

Top of my list for two years now. The problem is I fell in love with AH graphic design, so while FFG version is availble at my FLGS, I can't bring myself to buy it. The plan is to try myself at PnP (kwanchai's Paleolitic Ops redesign as second best is still better than third best).

Just a thought - I have Nexus Ops on wishlist as "gateway ameritrash", but I never considered it epic. Is the narrative strong enough? (beginning, middle, end)Or is it just a fun romp? (which is not bad either). I decide not to buy Small World, just because its lack of narrative and scope (though I liked it well enough as nongamer-friendly conflict game"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops: I guess it doesn't really have a narrative. There's a beginning, and then a middle. Maybe I'm not playing it right. Anyway, there's exploration, but then it feels like just gathering points until you have them by doing the different missions on your secret mission cards. It's fun but I'm not sure 'narrative' is the right way to put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike?

Manifest Destiny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest Tales of Arabian Nights.

Then, I thought about Heroscape. With a large enough board and some cool armies, it is both epic and light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.