Nuklear Winter '68» Forums » General

Subject: Rules Versions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's basically 2 guys running the Nuklear Winter 68 thread at Consimworld all by themselves http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?8@@.1dd6d597, and for the past couple of days, they've been debating the number of holes there seem to be in the rules - highly critical in fact.

One guy though just posted:

Quote:
I just figured out, I think this right, that the printed rulebook in my game does not match the online PDF rulebook. There have been some revisions or edits. This might be my problem...or maybe just a few of us who got this one version? I don't know.

Is this correct? Are the printed rules that come with the game, now superseded by the PDF rules linked at the Lock n' Load website?

http://www.locknloadgame.com/userfiles/NW68_rules.pdf

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
Adam Parker wrote:
Are the printed rules that come with the game, now superseded by the PDF rules linked at the Lock n' Load website?

That was the whole idea with the online pdf - to have the rulebook up to date with the latest corrections, re-wordings and so on. I don't know about holes, critical or superseding, there haven't been any rules missing or added or removed. That pdf has the exact same rules as the printed version, only better worded.

I have already told Peter Mc earlier today that, from now on, I'll post the list of updates along with each new version of the pdf.

edit: Wouldn't it have been easier for them to ask for clarifications here instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note... It is so hard to read the online rulebook with the darker edges... It would be great to get an easier to read version... Maybe one without the dark edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it uses a hell of a lot of ink to print out.

Further, I take it you still need the original printed rule book as the PDF file listed at Lock n' Load, doesn't include all charts or any scenarios.

Were these "Living Rules" ever posted here at BGG or mentioned before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Petre, could you please post the current rules here at BGG with the version number clear and if possible an idea of what the changes were.

In the future making a print-friendly version would be great too.

You may also want to take charge of that Consimworld thread and post links there.

Thanks,
Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
Adam Parker wrote:
Further, I take it you still need the original printed rule book as the PDF file listed at Lock n' Load, doesn't include all charts or any scenarios.

Were these "Living Rules" ever posted here at BGG or mentioned before?

Except for the scenarios, everything else (including all of the charts) is in the pdf.

The link for the pdf is in the Web Links section. I have already mentioned why aren't the larger files hosted on here - BGG's file size limitation and the impracticality of the site's file uploading/admin modding/updating process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I get it Petre. Your NW68 Play Aid is just a handy summary of some of the rules. Thanks. I thought this was in the rule book as a chart too. I've already laminated myself a copy cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Player Aid its great !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, as one person in that folder, I didn't ask any questions here because they were already answered in other threads or in the updated rules (once I realized the pdf online was in fact updated...it didn't have a version number or any edit marks, which is fine, but that's why I didn't know it was updated).

Also, I don't think my comments in the CSW folder were "highly critical" although some of the others may have been (although perhaps from some who don't even own the game). To the contrary, in a number of posts I praised the quality of the game while I wondered out loud about the rules questions I had (which are now answered--as I predicted they would be in that folder).

I was told the designer posted here so I came here...I never demanded (nor do I now) that he venture over to CSW. There is nothing really for him to do there, although he's more than welcome in my opinion--there seems to be only two of us in the folder actively playing the game right now anyway.

I'm more than happy with the game and the online rules support. The designer has done and is doing a great job.

I hope that is clear! I apologize if it wasn't, or if I somehow inadvertenly contributed to a kerfluffle which amounts to nothing. This game is very good in my opinion--it is sqeezing out many other games for my playing time right now.

(edited: some typos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
petermc wrote:
I hope that is clear!

Yeah Peter, everything's clear!

There are a couple of reasons preventing me from going to CSW, the most important ones being the lack of time on my part and CSW's archaic navigation/page layout that I never got used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is great, glad to see you and all the NWers here.

I'll post a session report the next time I complete a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
There's basically 2 guys running the Nuklear Winter 68 thread at Consimworld all by themselves http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?8@@.1dd6d597, and for the past couple of days, they've been debating the number of holes there seem to be in the rules - highly critical in fact.

One guy though just posted:

Quote:
I just figured out, I think this right, that the printed rulebook in my game does not match the online PDF rulebook. There have been some revisions or edits. This might be my problem...or maybe just a few of us who got this one version? I don't know.

Is this correct? Are the printed rules that come with the game, now superseded by the PDF rules linked at the Lock n' Load website?

http://www.locknloadgame.com/userfiles/NW68_rules.pdf

Thanks.

I try to read the document but it seems to be unaccessible or being already removed... :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.lnlpublishing.com/Free/NW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
comat0se wrote:
Thanks for the sharing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice link, thanks.

Those are most likely the original rules (the ones that came in the game) and not the edited/revised rules. I say that based upon a cursory scan of the pdf...for example I don't see the updated mine/smoke procedures, which was perhaps the most notable revision.

Anyone else feel free to chime in on that and/or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petermc wrote:
Nice link, thanks.

Those are most likely the original rules (the ones that came in the game) and not the edited/revised rules. I say that based upon a cursory scan of the pdf...for example I don't see the updated mine/smoke procedures, which was perhaps the most notable revision.

Anyone else feel free to chime in on that and/or correct me if I'm wrong.

On the net they say that the revised rules come with the expansion of the game...
Can someone post also the new rules or at least the second manual included with the core game (the one of the campaign scenarios) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a version 1.2 I believe, in Black and White:
http://tesera.ru/images/items/124268/NW68_rules_bw.pdf

It's difficult to say when they aren't labeled with version numbers but I have this copy locally labeled as such.

Actually I think that color version I posted above https://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.lnlpublishing.com/Free/NW... is more updated than this one.
Example is rule 2.3.3.2:
Color version
Quote:
While transported, infantry cannot be targeted separately from the APC transporting it, either by direct fire or artillery effects.

The tesera.ru version says:
Quote:
While transported, the infantry suffers the combat effects of the APC transporting it.

A previous note from the designer here speaks of this revision, leading me to believe that the color version is at least v1.3 of the rules. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/832785/nuklear-winter-68-ru...

Quote:
Change log:
2.3.3.2 APC clarification (transported infantry cannot be targeted by direct fire and/or artillery effects)

Indeed if you look at the created/modified tag within the PDF it gives you, Jul 25, 2012 which is the exact day that the posted the "updated to v1.3 rules" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.