Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, after playing tonight my wife and I had three questions. The first one I'm pretty sure about, the others not as much:

1) Black Uruks

I assume the attachment can be selected from any player. This popped up when I was the first player and none of my questing characters had any attachments. However, my wife's questing characters did. I discarded one of those attachments. Is this correct?

2) Mountain Warg

I played "dawn take you all" and my wife removed the shadow card from a Mountain Warg engaged with her. Which one is true?
a) We check the shadow card that was discarded if it had a shadow effect, and depending on what was on the card the Warg is or isn't returned to the staging area after it attacks.
b) The Warg is returned to the staging area after it attacks regardless of what was on the card.
c) The Warg isn't returned to the staging area after it attacks regardless of what was on the shadow card.

The thing that makes me confused about the card is "If Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with no effect ...". This makes me think it's answer a because it was indeed dealt a shadow card. If the card would have read "If Mountain Warg flips a shadow card with no effect ..." it would have been clear.

3) Wild Bear
The card reads: "Ambush. Forced: After Wild Bear engages a player it makes an immediate attack."
Does the Bear get a shadow card with it attacks with its forced effect?

If we compare this to the Goblin Gate location, the Goblin Gate makes an enemy engage a player and "it makes an immediate attack (deal and resolve a shadow card)."

The text within brackets on the Goblin Gate is either there to clarify the rules (that a shadow card is dealt) or to add to the rules (that a shadow card would normally not be dealt). It does however just feel like a clarification since it's written within brackets and in italics. So the same rules should apply to the Bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

3) Wild Bear
The card reads: "Ambush. Forced: After Wild Bear engages a player it makes an immediate attack."

If we compare this to the Goblin Gate location, the Goblin Gate makes an enemy engage a player and "it makes an immediate attack (deal and resolve a shadow card)."

The text within brackets on the Goblin Gate is either there to clarify the rules (that a shadow card is dealt) or to add to the rules (that a shadow card would normally not be dealt). It does however just feel like a clarification since it's written within brackets and in italics. So the same rules should apply to the Bear.

My wife and I decided that the Goblin Gate text was a clarification, thus deal a shadow card to Wild Bear when we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
1) Black Uruks
I assume the attachment can be selected from any player. This popped up when I was the first player and none of my questing characters had any attachments. However, my wife's questing characters did. I discarded one of those attachments. Is this correct?

Yes, it does not specify the first player must choose a card he (or she) controls.

Deebs wrote:
2) Mountain Warg
I played "dawn take you all" and my wife removed the shadow card from a Mountain Warg engaged with her. Which one is true?
a) We check the shadow card that was discarded if it had a shadow effect, and depending on what was on the card the Warg is or isn't returned to the staging area after it attacks.
b) The Warg is returned to the staging area after it attacks regardless of what was on the card.
c) The Warg isn't returned to the staging area after it attacks regardless of what was on the shadow card.

The thing that makes me confused about the card is "If Mountain Warg is dealt a shadow card with no effect ...". This makes me think it's answer a because it was indeed dealt a shadow card. If the card would have read "If Mountain Warg flips a shadow card with no effect ..." it would have been clear.

A similar question was answered about the Wargs from the base set and I think the answer is the same here:

Quote:
1) Because "Dawn Take You All" discards the card before it is revealed, the attempt to check whether or not that card has an effect does not trigger. (When the card would be revealed in combat, there is no card there.)

Deebs wrote:
3) Wild Bear

There was much debate about the Wild Bear here. No consensus seems to have been reached. I would say the Bear probably gets a Shadow card. A good rule of thumb with rules questions is to take the option that is worst for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tony is definitely right about the first two questions. Nate French did, however, issue an official ruling for the Wild Bear and other similar effects (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/777895/what-constitutes-...):

Nate French wrote:
Shadow cards should be dealt during attacks made outside of the combat phase. The [rules, pg 18] reads, "when resolving enemy attacks, follow these four steps." The main issue I see with that interpretation is that it is conflating the resolution of an attack with the act itself, and making the jump to the conclusion that anything that does not happen during the resolution of an attack (such as the dealing of a Shadow card) is not a part of the attack.

Basically, dealing and resolving a shadow card is an inherent part of any attack. So, Wild Bear will indeed receive a shadow card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John. I thought I remembered a ruling on that, but forgot where to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies and links!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.