Popular Tags: [View All]
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My job is to conserve the ancient sheep pastures on the downs, so an understanding of 17th century agriculture agriculture is important (maybe I could play Agricola at work to increase my understanding?!).

Last night I went to a lecture on "Farming the downs, the development of landed estates and farms 1750-1930" by an eminent local historian, and she actually mentioned the turnwrest plough!

The system used on the downs was a sheep-corn system. Corn was grown in a three field rotation with one field left fallow each year. The sheep grazed the poorer soils by day being folded on the fallow field by night, their dung fertilising it, which I knew. What I wasn't aware of was that in addition to wool and meat tallow was an important sheep product for use in soap and candle making - maybe there should be a few more cards in Agricola?!

Anyway gotta go the postman has just delivered my WM and NL decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
My job is to conserve the ancient sheep pastures on the downs, so an understanding of 17th century agriculture agriculture is important (maybe I could play Agricola at work to increase my understanding?!).
A fine job, I'm glad someone is doing it!

And thanks for the Badgerwatch avatar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:

Last night I went to a lecture on "Farming the downs, the development of landed estates and farms 1750-1930" by an eminent local historian, and she actually mentioned the turnwrest plough!

Just the other day some friends of mine were saying it would be good to find out more about the development of agricultural land in Britain. Particularly around the time that walls became important in marking land as 'owned'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:

Just the other day some friends of mine were saying it would be good to find out more about the development of agricultural land in Britain. Particularly around the time that walls became important in marking land as 'owned'

depends whether you are in ancient or planned countryside, no walls around here!

A good book to start with is Oliver Rackham's History of the Countryside http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Countryside-Oliver-Rackham/d...
It is quite readable although a little dated now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.