Subject: 4 player extended* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
Had my second game tonight. Last wednesday, four of us at a games meetup that meets every week played our first game of Eminent Domain. It ended with 15-14-14-14 to me. We all felt it went rather quickly. After some reading and strategising on my part, I felt this was due to inefficient play, however, I decided to try 4 player extended (basically, go to three stacks). Some might say "you only played one game", but it was unanimous tonight to play extended. I felt that new players and people learning the game would be put off by the quick end, just when things were getting interesting.

I really enjoyed it. The game ended with the scores 28-18-16-13 in my favour. Of the three other players, two were new and one had played the first game. He scored 18. The two new guys got the lowest scores.

However, the third stack ran out about one complete round after the second stack, and the only difference would have been I would not have researched Warpath and only been on 26.

I started off with a metallic planet and did the politics into warfare, warefare roll to get two ships, then followed up on a survey for a cheap metallic planet then on my second turn I played warfare as an action and researched improved research. From then on, my turns consisted of mainly warfare, research with couple of surveys, and then dumping surveys towards the end. After two planets I got out Scorched Earth Policy and then that made conquering a bit simpler.

The new guys were just learning the game mechanics but the other player who had played earlier definitely improved his game - starting with an advanced planet he went straight into surveying and followed someone elses colonise action.

I think one of the key strategies to winning is getting level two techs as early as possible. I got Scorched Earth Policy fairly early, and then Survey Team as well. I also had that card that lets you do two actions fairly early, so I didn't need Warpath, although I got that last round just for some Influence.

So all in all, I really enjoyed going to 3 stacks instead of two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, and I think this option probably should have been printed in the rule book. Two stacks just seems way too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to know that you guys were having a blast. Thanks for sharing the gameplay session Luke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
This is probably old news to most people, but this is a pretty new game for me. Research, for new players, is severely underrated. However, by the end of the game, the new guys started to see its strengths. While you don't get any immediate benefit, research, in the long run benefits from itself. It is ideal to follow because you will get additional cards for your hand next round

If you dissent, you get one extra symbol. If you follow with research, you are going to get two, plus a new action, provided you purchase a level one or two tech. If you take research as the role, you are still getting three extra symbols added to your deck, plus a new action, whereas with other roles, you only get the one symbol, which is immediately discarded. It seems to me that research, early in the game, will give you a huge advantage late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukasaurus wrote:
This is probably old news to most people, but this is a pretty new game for me. Research, for new players, is severely underrated. However, by the end of the game, the new guys started to see its strengths. While you don't get any immediate benefit, research, in the long run benefits from itself. It is ideal to follow because you will get additional cards for your hand next round

If you dissent, you get one extra symbol. If you follow with research, you are going to get two, plus a new action, provided you purchase a level one or two tech. If you take research as the role, you are still getting three extra symbols added to your deck, plus a new action, whereas with other roles, you only get the one symbol, which is immediately discarded. It seems to me that research, early in the game, will give you a huge advantage late game.

I wouldn't say HUGE advantage. However, I will agree a person who neglects the Research Role entirely will fall behind a person who doesn't. How far behind, really depends on your overall strategy and how efficient you can be.

Remember that Researching adds 2 cards to your deck while every other Role only adds 1. This can lead to bloating so using the Research Role indiscriminately can be very inefficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will look to try 3 player extended with going through 2 stacks being the end game condition. The game ends up, with when you get to 4, feeling like it ends too soon.

I still enjoy it a lot though, and this may look to make it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Four players, the game is a race. Two players, you can leisurely develop your tableau. Three players is somewhere in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.