Subject: Just 2 players: Dominion or Dominion Intrigue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one place in my pocket:

Which one would you take with 2 players?

Which base set is more strategic (long term planning rewarding) and replayable?

I don´t like expansions sucking my money without improving strategy but: Do you think are there any expansion really worthy for just 2 players?

Thanks in advance,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue definitely for you. If you find you really want to go for an expansion to add some strategy and variance, I highly recommend Hinterlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Intrigue is the more strategic, and slightly more replayable, one. However, the base set was designed to be a better introduction, and even many people who were comfortable with Dominion found their first few Intrigue games to be a little slow and dry. (Once you get a handle on the choices offered by the cards, though, they're great!) That's not too bad - Rio Grande was willing to release Intrigue as a stand-alone game - but something to keep in mind.

As for the other expansions, I don't think any are specifically better or worse for 2 players than for 3-4. They're almost all great, though, and your first couple additions will give you a lot more variety in the game. The only couple I wouldn't recommend right away are Alchemy (the expansion that's "only ok", while the rest are great), and Hinterlands, which adds the most rules complexities but only the normal amount of strategic increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNevin wrote:
...They're almost all great, though, and your first couple additions will give you a lot more variety in the game. The only couple I wouldn't recommend right away are Alchemy (the expansion that's "only ok", while the rest are great), and Hinterlands, which adds the most rules complexities...

Very true!

If you are an experienced gamer you might for Intrigue first but never buying the base set would be a true shame.

All the expansions are great (except for the very okay Alchemy-still worth it though).

If you want to go simplest to most complex I would go Cornucopia (incentivizes having a variety of cards), Prosperity (bigger everything plus add tokens and treasure that does stuff), Sea Side (adds cards that when played impact your next turn-people occasionally forget to set the cards aside for their next turn), and finally Hinterlands (adds cards which do things when they are purchased/gained) which is almost universally agreed to be the most complex).

For those who love Dominion it is great with all the expansions (particularly if you can find a decent storage solution).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
For two players I would instead recommend Resident Evil Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to experience half a game with serious balance-issues, I also recommend Resident Evil Deck Building Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
If you like to experience half a game with serious balance-issues, I also recommend Resident Evil Deck Building Game.

+1, lol. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it offensive that the Resident Evil cash in deck builder is being called a game.

But I agree with Intrigue. Both are good, but Intrigue has a little more long term playability, and if you're looking at two player, I'm guessing you're thinking lots of games with one other person rather than a few games with lots of other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.