Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if there might be a way for us who don't know first edition to use some other figures or some sort of token to play with the 1st edition monster cards in the upgrade kit.

Right now I am debating whether to order the upgrade kit or not as I have about 36 heroes (from RB, DQ and RW) I could use, but I would definitely get it if there was a way to use the monsters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning on using my old D&D monsters to proxy for the 1E plastic. I don't see why that wouldn't work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can just use proxies. You would just need to know how many normal and master types of each monster should be available to the OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is some overlap from the monster figures in Runewars, so you can use those without much trouble. Overall, the monsters are not terribly unique or original, so you can easily find other miniatures or use printed flats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I agree with the others. There's no reason you can't use proxies if you want to. (Although you may or may not have a difficult time finding suitable figures to represent each monster type, depending on how picky you are and what kinds of minis you have to choose from.)

Descent 1e boards were printed to use a fairly standard 1-inch square scale, so most gaming miniatures out there should fit on the board easily enough. (2e will almost certainly use the same scale based simply on the fact that the conversion kit exists - 2e boards MUST be able to fit 1e figures.)

Personally, if I didn't already own all of the 1e boxes, there's no way in hell I'd be paying the kinds of prices it sells for now just to get figures. I'd be all over the idea of proxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
there is some overlap from the monster figures in Runewars, so you can use those without much trouble.

Well, except for the scale of the monsters in Runewars is VERY different. If you don't mind have teeny-tiny beastmen or razorwings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burgermeister Meisterburger
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
I am wondering if there might be a way for us who don't know first edition to use some other figures or some sort of token to play with the 1st edition monster cards in the upgrade kit.

tkgameshobbies on ebay has some Descent figures. You can find them here:
http://stores.ebay.com/TK-Games-and-Hobbies/Game-Parts-Piece...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hisle
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only thing you may need to account for in your proxies is character size(how many spaces a character takes up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses! I wonder if I can get most of the monsters covered from the D&D game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Pike III
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the same thing and if you don't have your heart set on minitures they do have a couple of files here on the geek for token proxies that you can print up yourself.

Heroes:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/934xaqg3iv/Desc...?

Monsters:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/934c8ewg97/Desc...?

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.