Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello! I'm looking for a game that could substitute poker for a light game night with the guys, couple of beers, etc.

I'm thinking about Liar's Dice or maybe Three-Dragon Ante. Maybe some of those push-your-luck dice games might work as well.

What would you suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
If it's push-your-luck dice games you're looking for, look no further than Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
If it's push-your-luck dice games you're looking for, look no further than Can't Stop.

+1. great game. But you can also play Can't Stop here: http://es.boardgamearena.com/#!welcome (this is the spanish version but you can also play in various other languages.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think pokerplayers will like Lascaux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pokeher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels maybe?

Hopefully whatever you find works out - most of the people I know who are poker players aren't willing to try anything that doesn't involve risking money, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Adams
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice!!!

It's super easy to learn, and it is easy for poker player to wrap their head around. (as it has bluffing elements)

It's also one of the most fun games we play.

p.s. although I don't recommend/like gambling, you could have a buy in to each game, with the winner taking the pot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joker Smiley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Shadow Hunters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-Dragon Ante is a good call, it should work nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Just to clarify, it's not that we're big poker players or anything, that's precisely why I'm looking for alternatives. I do like the betting aspect tho (with chips and stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to keep the gambling aspect of the evening? Try Long Shot a horse racing game with some fun betting/screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the gameplay in Citadels requires some of those same poker skills and has a similar flow to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Longshot

A couple other horse race/ betting games may be "Winner's Circle" or "Win, Place and Show".

Another game that gamblers may like could be "Vegas Showdown"

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
lordrahvin wrote:

I think the gameplay in Citadels requires some of those same poker skills and has a similar flow to it.

+1 Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some say there's a heavy bluffing element in Taj Mahal and that poker players would enjoy it. I can't really comment as I've never played Taj Mahal and virtually never play Poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not super duper light per se but has some elements that are poker-esk and rules that are quite simple to learn: Modern Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

+1 Citadels

I've always referred to Citadels as a good party game (to the disagreement of only one man - a certain Mr Crapuchettes), and I see no reason to change my mind. Definitely one to play a couple of times over some beers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
joeMLF wrote:

Another game that gamblers may like could be "Vegas Showdown"

In the same vein, while I haven't played it myself, I've heard nothing but rave reviews regarding Lords of Vegas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
godunow wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

+1 Citadels

I've always referred to Citadels as a good party game (to the disagreement of only one man - a certain Mr Crapuchettes), and I see no reason to change my mind. Definitely one to play a couple of times over some beers.

I would say that it is flexible enough to be played as a light party game or a more intense strategy game. At our table it plays out in a more serious way but I could easily filling a lighter role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
ousgg wrote:
godunow wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

+1 Citadels

I would say that it is flexible enough to be played as a light party game or a more intense strategy game. At our table it plays out in a more serious way but I could easily filling a lighter role.

I just wanted to see a matryoshka quote box

But seriously, I have Citadels and love it. It hasn't seen much play yet, because I mostly play games with my girlfriend, but it hadn't occurred to me in a situation like this. I guess if people are familiar with the roles and don't take it too seriously it could work for this. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joeMLF wrote:
Longshot

Yeah, I was thinking about getting this one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance

Seems absolutely perfect to me as a poker player myself (not playing much recently though). If you play with the same guys in poker a lot you will see similarities in meta-game aspects that should translate really really well with poker players. It is a small informed group that must lie to survive vs a larger uninformed group that must try and figure out who the spies are to win!

It plays from 5-10 people. It's only 19.99 msrp and is simple to pick up and get going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.