Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Brief review of 2nd printing component quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still working my way through the rulebook, but I have inventoried and inspected all of the components in the new printing of this game. Note that I have never seen the first printing, so I cannot make a comparison.

The first thing I noticed when opening the box was the moisture. You can immediately feel the humidity. The large board did feel moist and the paperboard is soft to the touch.

Cards
Yes, they are low quality overall. However, the alignment appears fine and the printing is centered well. There is some very slight variation in colour of the card backs, but nothing significant. A few cards had slightly bent corners, but no crease, so I was able to flatten the corners a bit. I can easily imagine these cards peeling after one or two plays. Unless you are handling them with soft fabric gloves on a table covered in cashmere, you will probably want sleeves.

The cards give off the impression that the manufacturer just does not care. I do not refer to Wizkids. I mean the sub-sub-contractor in China. You can tell they just print off the cards without regard for the final result as long at it meets a minimum criteria. These are not cards made by people who actually use the cards. They are just another commodity cranked out to satisfy a contract.

Tiles
Alignment is spot-on. Again, I can tell these may be prone to peeling of the printed layer. Fortunately, they are rarely handled.

Counters
Approximately half of the counters were stuck to one another. However, they came apart with only the slightest of force. No damage to any of the counters is detected. Alignment of the printing is proper.

Miniatures
The figures are undamaged and I see no obvious painting errors.

In conclusion, all components are accounted for, with no egregious errors or damage.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:


The cards give off the impression that the manufacturer just does not care. I do not refer to Wizkids. I mean the sub-sub-contractor in China. You can tell they just print off the cards without regard for the final result as long at it meets a minimum criteria. These are not cards made by people who actually use the cards. They are just another commodity cranked out to satisfy a contract.


But Wiz-kids says "Yay" or "Nay" to the final product, don't they?

Thanks for this first look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
But Wiz-kids says "Yay" or "Nay" to the final product, don't they?

It's also entirely subjective. I read more or less the same thing about the Lords of Waterdeep cards, but having played with them (and seen beer spilled on them) I think they are excellent. Also read the same about the 1st edition Mage Knight cards, and while I've used them less, they seem perfectly good to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are fine. I sleeved mine but this is in preparation for repeated plays, not because I thought they were low quality.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I were to think the cards would hold up after repeated plays, I would be concerned about uneven wear. This may be important when expansions are released.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds pretty much identical to the first printing, FYI.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds identical to the issues I had with my first printing. I don't sleeve but in this case I made an exception. I felt the same way that the cards wouldn't last.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Unless you are handling them with soft fabric gloves on a table covered in cashmere, you will probably want sleeves.

I'm sorry, is there any possible alternative to cashmere? Am I given to understand that there are classless ruffians on this forum who drape their gaming surfaces with... ugh... sheep's wool!?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing they planned on fixing for this reprin was errata and rulebook so no surprise if quality is same. If its worse than first thats an issue. Especially the moisture. Is this a major thing or what??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only board that had warping after my first play tonight was the day/night board. The hexes and fame board seemed fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. i am sad. . Any suggestions for handling this type of situation when i get my copy ( if it is a problem ( hopefully it isnt))
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when people used to get excited about new games. Now the idea is to get depressed because it won't last forever, is that right? I think I'm seriously out of fashion.
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So if i beam enough excitement rays at the moist components will that dry them out without them warping?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked for my copy!

Seriously though it won't be an issue, just leave the components out and they will settle, same as my first edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
dcorban wrote:
Unless you are handling them with soft fabric gloves on a table covered in cashmere, you will probably want sleeves.

I'm sorry, is there any possible alternative to cashmere? Am I given to understand that there are classless ruffians on this forum who drape their gaming surfaces with... ugh... sheep's wool!?


I couldn't care less about table surfaces, I just quoted you so I could say...

Mr Hoppy!!!



I suppose I should add something relevant in my post as well. Let me think...

I always read a lot of posts about warped and damaged this and that. Lots of that with Mansions of Madness - but I had no problems. Lots of that with Space Hulk - but I had not problems. Maybe I am just really lucky, but the only fault I have ever had with a game was with Catacombs (got the old mouldy wood pieces - nasty). So, I always take such reports with a grain of salt.

For the record, the only cards I have ever sleeved are the cards from my copy of Warhammer Quest. I don't think I could ever use any one of my games enough to wear the cards to the point where it became an issue.

My interest in this game has started to pick up recently (having completely ignored the first print), and I think I might pick up a copy despite the massive playing time and the complexity level (which means I doubt many people will play it with me). Once my mind is set on something, it's pretty difficult for me to be swayed.

4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:
So if i beam enough excitement rays at the moist components will that dry them out without them warping?

My components are dry, and I live in Oregon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing I will mention about the components. They printed some of the counters on the reverse side. With any thicker counters of this type, you can clearly detect, by sight and touch, which side the die "stamped" out the counter. One side will be rounded along the edges. In this game, they die cut some of the counters from the reverse side.

I immediately noticed that a few Orc and hero skill counters were cut from the reverse side. What this means is that, when the Orc counters are in a stack, I can instantly detect the reversed counters at a glance. Same with the skill counters.

Obviously, it will have little to no impact on casual gameplay, but if someone were to memorize which counters are reversed, they would be able to know in advance what enemy or skill will be appearing next.

I don't have much of a problem with it, but I'm mentioning it for those that might.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
One more thing I will mention about the components. They printed some of the counters on the reverse side. With any thicker counters of this type, you can clearly detect, by sight and touch, which side the die "stamped" out the counter. One side will be rounded along the edges. In this game, they die cut some of the counters from the reverse side.

I immediately noticed that a few Orc and hero skill counters were cut from the reverse side. What this means is that, when the Orc counters are in a stack, I can instantly detect the reversed counters at a glance. Same with the skill counters.

Obviously, it will have little to no impact on casual gameplay, but if someone were to memorize which counters are reversed, they would be able to know in advance what enemy or skill will be appearing next.

I don't have much of a problem with it, but I'm mentioning it for those that might.


That might actually bother me a little bit. Not because I think anyone would remember the stack, but because I am OCD - not OCD in the way lots of people use the term, I mean the real way. I could see an "uneven" stack in my eye line making me very uncomfortable through the whole game.

I'm sure I could live with it though, and I'm assuming you can just put the counters in a cup instead, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose. Possibly a cloth bag.

Also, some of the counters got "squished" from the original, tight packing, since the counters were not fully dry. You can see that some are thinner than others, and some are thin on one half and normal on the other.

I think as long as you aren't studying the actual counter stack, it won't be an issue. My main concern would be for marks on the back of the world tiles. Being able to know what tile is next to appear could be an easy advantage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im pretty sure if you had never mentioned these things i wouldve never noticed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually pick a random enemy out of the middle of the stack, instead of the top one, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Calabig
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Warning! Check your tiles carefully. My pack of dungeon, city, and dragon tiles were all very misaligned. Had to exchange the tokens at my flags.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.