Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Another newbie question...

Playing my second game and it's starting to become a little clearer

When attacking a unit that contains a leader do you get the banner when the last part of the unit is eliminated or when the leader himself is killed?

I killed the last unit but failed to get the leader who then evaded me, survived his withdrawal through my ranks before hooking up with a new unit (you gotta LOVE this game!)

So, do I get a banner at the death of the final part of the unit falling or only when I've dealt with the attached leader (who is now with another unit)?

Patience and advice warmly received...

This is one VERY enjoyable way to spend a Saturday - the PhD has gone on the back-burner todayshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get one banner for the unit beeing eliminated.
If the corresponding leader casualty check (with one dice in this case) had eliminated the leader too, then you had get a second banner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Now, whilst attacking with heavy chariot, accompanied by a leader against a mounted unit that defends with one medium cavalry and a leader and throwing two leader symbols, a retreat flag and a blue triangle, does this mean the leader is automatically dead or must he endure a leader casualty check and then evade?

Phew!

I hope I've written this clearly?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
You never kill a leader in combat if he is with a unit, even if there is only one block in the defending unit and you roll six hits! You always have to make a leader check after the defending unit is eliminated (whether or not you scored hits in excess of those needed to destroy the unit), and only if you are successful is the leader killed.

The only way a leader can be killed in combat is if he is already alone in the hex when the attack begins (which should rarely be the case if the opposing player is careful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
thechangingman wrote:
Thanks!

Now, whilst attacking with heavy chariot, accompanied by a leader against a mounted unit that defends with one medium cavalry and a leader and throwing two leader symbols, a retreat flag and a blue triangle, does this mean the leader is automatically dead or must he endure a leader casualty check and then evade?

Phew!

1 - Anyone who stands with a Med Cav againsst a Heavy Chariot & Leader is mental. Evade, evade, and live to fight next turn - the above roll would have scored 1 hit only.

2 - Attacks against units and leader checks are ALWAYS seperate rolls. No exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
thechangingman wrote:
Thanks!

Phew!

1 - Anyone who stands with a Med Cav againsst a Heavy Chariot & Leader is mental. Evade, evade, and live to fight next turn - the above roll would have scored 1 hit only.

2 - Attacks against units and leader checks are ALWAYS seperate rolls. No exceptions.

Mental, or completely trapped after a lightening cavalry charge flanked him in so he had nowhere to go and no evading to be done arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:

The only way a leader can be killed in combat is if he is already alone in the hex when the attack begins (which should rarely be the case if the opposing player is careful).

That's not right, surely? A leader can be killed any time his unit takes casualties.

If a leader's unit takes any casualties, be it from close combat or missile fire, you make a leader casualty check. The number of dice you roll depends on whether the unit has been destroyed. One helmet if it has been, two helmets otherwise. If all dice in the check show helmets, the leader dies.

There is a limit of one leader casualty check for each event - e.g. if the unit takes damage, then retreats and takes further damage as a result of its retreat path being blocked, you still only make one roll.

If a leader is alone in a hex and attacked, then he's in trouble - you roll your normal dice against him (e.g. four for medium infantry), and any helmets kill him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your last line is what the person was talking about...the only way a leader can be killed in COMBAT, not a leader check roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Your last line is what the person was talking about...the only way a leader can be killed in COMBAT, not a leader check roll.

Ah, OK. I was dozy this morning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.