Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I received my prototype and enjoyed a solitaire tryout (me playing both players, it is not designed as a solitaire
game) to figure out the rules. I have a couple of comments and questions, let me know if I should be posting this
feedback on BGG or elsewhere:
1) Looks to be a very fun and interesting game due to its mechanics, design and theme. Hoping to play with my gf
soon.
2) I believe this will be moot for the production game but the prototype had me a bit confused at first since the
board is not shaped or marked exactly as indicated in the screenshots above ( I should have referenced the
kickstarter page first to review components, since it had been awhile since I had). Namely the timeline was not
clearly indicative of the timeframes and now that I look I should have cut off the extraneous brown triangles to make
it look like the board pictured here and especially on BGG. This led me to think however that the rule book could be
improved in two ways which I will mention below.
3) I especially found helpful the examples for both Resolution and Scoring, I don't know that I would have played it
correctly without those.
4) Question, the answer of which could be added to the Resolution Example: Will the removal action required by a premptive technologies occur if the dependent technology they both rely on does not exist? Example: My blue player played Refrigeration in the closest time frame to the present day. My red player got the same card shortly thereafter and preempted blue's play by playing it a timeframe further in the past. However, the dependency of Agriculture was not met by the end of the round, so both cards would fail. I think in this case I would tilt each card and remove an influence cube for each back to the supply. Is this correct? I am hoping it is because I believe there is a fate card (or two) that could save blue's play in the next round, but am not certain.
5) Improvement #1: Add a page to the gamebook with a picture of Game Setup Complete (probably right after the components page). This would have helped me get setup much more rapidly I think.
6) Improvement #2: Have an example first round described (with pictures). I always find it helpful when rulebooks have this, to get up and running quickly and understand subtle details that may be missed when reading through the rules. Though it is written in the rules, I missed the fact that discards go face down as I just read discard and my mind thought of a traditional face up discard. Alternatively, to save on printing cost, have the example round be noted in the rulebook and be posted online at the http://www.floodgategames.com/Legacy (link doesnt work currently) and/or on BGG.
Probably things you were already thinking about for the production version, but wanted to provide feedback since you were kind enough to offer a prototype.
Looking forward to playing this with friends.
Thanks!
-J

I figured this would be a better place to cover some of your questions and suggestions.

1) Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it!

2) The board has evolved since the Kickstarter images (I wasn't originally even planning on having a full board). I agree, the definitive separation of the timeframes isn't quite as explicit as when they were separate pieces, but I feel the arrow-shaped coloring on the bottom edge along with capacity track markings help convey the point. Die-cutting the foldout board to have a serrated edge would have been cool, but was prohibitively expensive. I'm hopeful the color difference will be enough of a visual indicator to convey the point, and I feel it's particularly clear after your first time through. That, and the panorama was just too pretty to break up

3) Great! I tried to spend a lot of time getting the balance of coverage and simplicity in those. Thanks for the feedback.

4) In your example, the earlier failed copy of Refrigeration (Red players) would be removed. The rule of thumb is that (at the end of the round) there is only 1 copy of each technology on the board. The earliest successful one, or the latest failed if none are successful. You are right that 'Willed Into Existence' would allow one of those copies to remain, causing the other to be removed (even though Agriculture did not exist earlier). I believe the earliest successful copy staying is intuitive (I made this first, you cant claim to later), but the reasoning for latest failed staying is a bit more mechanical: it gives the most opportunity to be successful later in the game (since there is more room on the timeline before the latest copy). The second reason is that preempting a technology is a very strong and swingy play, allowing a preempt with a failed tech makes it a bit too strong. We play tested with several variant around how multiple copies were resolved, and this method hits on all cylinders (fun, fair, easily grokkable)

5&6) I agree completely on both these points. I ran out of space with a 12 page book without making some pretty drastic compromises in other places. The online examples will cover this more thoroughly. (These will be available before August)

Thanks for all the feedback, I hope I answered your questions; please let me know if anything is still unclear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing I just realized: The resolution example printed in the prototypes had a mistake, such that the earlier copy of Combustion Engine should have been removed. The rules were updated to reflect this before I sent them off to production, but I didn't catch it in time for the prototype. Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Talisman
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Ahh that explains it. Thanks for the detailed response! Looking forward to the production release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.