Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bedtime tonight was a doozy for our son. He's got a set amount of time to get ready for bed, and if he beats the timer (a generous 15 minutes), he gets a story or two. This usually happens, but occasionally, as happened tonight, stall … stall … stall … ping! Timer went off, and he didn't even have his pajamas on yet. So he absolutely lost it.

We said prayers and good night and left the room. Once he calmed down enough to put his pajamas on, I went in to help stop the crying. He still wasn't going to get a book, though. I started humming through the normal Calming Songs, but then added a couple new ones. One new one is a new favorite of his; he's learned all the planets at school, including a fact about each, so we've been listening to some Holst at home.

Finally, he was calm and now completely wiped out, so I tucked him in and sang the Nightly Lullaby, which my mom sung to me. I've changed the words, because my name was it in, and I have changed out names and added "boy" in place of "girl."

Only tonight did I sense a theme. So. What weird songs do you or did you sing to your kids, or did your parents sing to you, either to calm or as a normal lullaby?

Calming Song #1 -- disabled, so start at 1:27

Calming Song #2

New Calming Song #3

New Calming Song #4

Standard Nightly Lullaby -- the only one sung with lyrics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Bedtime tonight was a doozy for our son. He's got a set amount of time to get ready for bed, and if he beats the timer (a generous 15 minutes), he gets a story or two. This usually happens, but occasionally, as happened tonight, stall … stall … stall … ping! Timer went off, and he didn't even have his pajamas on yet. So he absolutely lost it.

We said prayers and good night and left the room. Once he calmed down enough to put his pajamas on, I went in to help stop the crying. He still wasn't going to get a book, though. I started humming through the normal Calming Songs, but then added a couple new ones. One new one is a new favorite of his; he's learned all the planets at school, including a fact about each, so we've been listening to some Holst at home.

Finally, he was calm and now completely wiped out, so I tucked him in and sang the Nightly Lullaby, which my mom sung to me. I've changed the words, because my name was it in, and I have changed out names and added "boy" in place of "girl."

Only tonight did I sense a theme. So. What weird songs do you or did you sing to your kids, or did your parents sing to you, either to calm or as a normal lullaby?

Calming Song #1 -- disabled, so start at 1:27

Calming Song #2

New Calming Song #3

New Calming Song #4

Standard Nightly Lullaby -- the only one sung with lyrics

Unfortunately I used to sing to my sons. I stopped after my wife mentioned it wasn't calming them down. I can rock when called upon.

How was I supposed to know Led Zeppelin would get them going?

Great job, Amy and Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time since I've needed to sing someone a lullaby, but the one I used on my kids was Creeping Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to put on The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour album and find the song Your Mother Should Know. I'd carry my fussy daughter around the room in circles and sing along, quietly, to that. Worked like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to always sing Dylan's "John Wesley Harding."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The songs I sang:

Songs my wife sang:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
It's been a long time since I've needed to sing someone a lullaby, but the one I used on my kids was Creeping Death.

Did it disturb you when your kids started sleepily chanting "Die, die, die" back at you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.