Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

New VASL user here. I'm running around in circles trying to figure out how, what, and where I need to download to get ASL installed. I'm using Win7.

I downloaded VASL 5.9.2 here (http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods), and I opened it in the latest VASSAL 3.1.18. It works, but it's empty. (I do get the startup pick-a-password wizard, so I know VASL is there.) Obviously I'm missing something, because there are no maps or scenarios to start with. Where do I go to download these, and what do I need, and how do I know I have everything?

Is there a guide to VASL for Dummies/Newbies/CannonFodder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maps are here:

https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=10u1OpPC36PghFr1...#

save them to the boards folder in the VASL folder.

Scenarios you have to have yourself, though you can download some good ones from MMP: Classic is the orginal SL scenarios translated to ASL and Streets of Fire is for DASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

So all that's needed are the basic .mod and the maps? I was assuming that there would be separate downloads for different modules, etc. I do see now that a full range of counters are available in the .mod, though.

(So much to learn!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Googling Vasl extensions and see what you can find. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Pfan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm going to be doing a video tutorial on how to setup ASL with vassal in the next few days (I hope). It will cover the basics of how to install vassal, the module, and maps and how to get it working....

Hope this video will help many people since this question comes up all the time.... Once its done it will be in the video section and I'll try and link to it from here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idjester wrote:
I'm going to be doing a video tutorial on how to setup ASL with vassal in the next few days (I hope). It will cover the basics of how to install vassal, the modual, and maps and how to get it working....

Hope this video will help many people since this question comes up all the time.... Once its done it will be in the video section and I'll try and link to it from here.

I'd love to see this. I've enjoyed your intro to ASL videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Pfan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Since you asked...

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/16543/advanced-squad-leader/h...

Here is the link to the tutorial video on configuring ASL module and the Vassal program....

Hope it helps..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a basic VASL etiquette question: how do players feel about a stranger (like me) asking to sit in and watch an ongoing VASL match? I'd like to be able to see experienced players doing their thing while I digest the ASL rules and learn the basics.

In fact, is this possible? How is it done? I see ongoing games when I visit the VASL lobby, but I'm unsure of how to get it and watch. Or should I not try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get on VASL, you will see a number of games in various rooms already going. Some of these will have a lock symbol, or say 'no sync'; don't go there. Some of them will say something like '(Skype)'; you might want to avoid that since that means their doing voice chat, and you won't see any byplay (and some of these will be doing that without saying that... ). For the rest, pick one that seems to be active/interesting, right-click on the room name, and select 'Join Room'.

Once you're there, ask 'Can I watch?', or something similar. If someone says, 'okay', right click on their name in the room and select 'Synchronize'. You will then load up copy of the game (if you have the boards, etc.) and be able to watch what's going on.

You can also now manipulate the pieces yourself. Don't do this! You can however, record a log of the proceedings without interfering with anything, and then play it back later, and fiddle with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.