Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Units

When you choose this race, secretly write on a piece of paper the name of another race. At the end of the game, after points are tallied, if your opponent owns that race (active or in decline) and is in the lead for points, you receive 10 bonus points.

(Just thought this might be a fun power, especially since it is likely to be skipped for a few rounds if it comes up early. It basically tempts the points leader to make sub-optimal race choices. If they are too obvious they risk losing from the bonus points. And if they are the leader already and then take this race so no one else can, that might be a sub-optimal move too, since they do not get bonus points if they predict themself to win.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you choose this before races are selected for the first group?

This power gets weaker the more expansions are in play.

And 10 points is HUGE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt anyone would pick this power/race in the first round, or even the 2nd or 3rd. But at mid to late game you may have a good idea which race the leader may have (declined or active) at the end of the game.

Regarding 10 points being so "huge", keep in mind that "Wealthy" gives 7 points immediately with zero risk (with 1 less units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea behind this... I initially agreed that it seems overpowered at ten, so here's what I think you should go with:

Upon selecting the race with this power, select any different race. At the end of the game, you score 1 VC for each token on the board belonging to that race.

This I think would not make the power too large with a 10 (which, I don't think is insane) but would also make the guesswork more fun. If they're In Decline, they're likely worth less. It'd also help with games where you run into the dominant Sorcerers or Skeletons.

OFF TOPIC: Do you mind if I compile some of your ideas into thematic sets along with those of others on the boards? I see some common themes and would just like to organize some fan sets into a logical order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No I don't mind. I like them being grouped with others actually, because there are way too many of these individual threads to go through one at a time (and I know I am contributing to this long list - sorry!).

I had played other games for a while, and realized that I missed Small World because it is simple but also diverse.

Regarding your suggestion for this power, why would I take "prophetic" over "wealthy", if the best way for me to get more points for it is for them to also have a lot of units. It seems to me that the power needs to be comparable to the benefit from wealthy, unless we are saying that wealthy is overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say your assessment is right, Eric. 10 isn't overpowered when there is risk involved, but that's just the thing- the risk constitutes a higher number. Personally, I'd see myself avoiding this power (though it would add a spark of fun to some games) purely for its semi-random nature. The reason I suggest switching it to 1 VP per token of said race on board is for the following:

1. It balances the game in a way. If you name a race that might rampage the board, you will gain a lot of VP for their conquest.

2. If you go for something less risky that is in play when you pick, they'll likely be In Decline or severely diminished by the time the end of the game rolls around.

3. I think you can pick a race you want in the future, but there's hardly a guarantee you'll get them. If you write down the name when you recruit the Prophetic race, you'll likely be waiting 2-3 turns to be able to grab something up- and writing a prophecy much further out would be risky.

4. Finally, and this is a tangent, the creator of Small World considers the mind games you can play with others when planning powers (see Martyr or Vengeful for example). If I *were* to pick Prophetic, I could certainly fool around with other players as the game progresses. "How many skeletons do you have on the board?" might trick a player into an early decline when I actually have something else written down.

Essentially, I see this as a fun special power that people would try a few times in a game, but it isn't gamebreaking at all. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not build the risk around when the race comes into play?
Thus:
Prophetic--The owner of this race/power makes a prediction out loud of which race will be part of the winning team (a single player may have 3 races in the course of the game, all on 1 team.) If the prediction is correct, the Prophetic player receives 1 coin for every round of play left in the game when the prediction was made. The prediction can not apply to a race that declined or vanished prior to the prediction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.