Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Of the two games which do you like better? Ticket to Ride or Through the Ages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Ticket to Ride with someone else waiting for your turn in Through the Ages...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

Obviously, between TtR and TtA, I'd have to go with TtD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hard to compare. TtR is much lighter. I like both, but if I had to pick I would go trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which do you like better?
Ticket to Ride
Through the Ages
      143 answers
Poll created by s3rvant

I prefer TtR, simply because I can get the vast majority of those I know to play it AND request for me to bring it back next time we get together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Personally I like Ticket to Ride. If you're going Through the Desert, take plenty of drinking water because its dry (pun intended).

In all seriousness, I like TtR the best of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a minority, but I can't stand Ticket to Ride. I don't even know why, I just don't. I don't like the train color picking mechanism, I don't like the various nuances the different versions add, and while I'll play it if the group wants to, I've never once enjoyed it.

I do like Through the Ages, but I stink at it, and it takes too long, so I don't play it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

I admit that my original comment was in jest. I assumed that the OP was poking a bit of fun at the various threads that pop up asking users to compare two games that have nothing in common.

However, after reading the OP's comment in this thread:

Modern Art vs. Pastiche vs. Fresco

It turns out that he actually does see value in these threads.

Turns out I was taking part in a joke that it turns out isn't a joke. Must say, it feels a little awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are very different games and they're going to appeal to very different people. Not really that comparable at all.

Ticket to Ride is a light family friendly game. You can teach it to anyone, even young kids, in a few minutes and it's completely non-threatening easy fun. However, it's also not a heavy strategy game. If you're looking for a feeling of "wow, what a ride!" afterwards, you will not find it here.

Through the Ages is a much more complex and strategic game. You'll be faced with many tough choices and you're going to work for it. It's not super-long but it's longer and most certainly heavier. When you win you'll have a lot more feeling of accomplishment. Most of your non-gamer friends and relatives will probably not enjoy Through the Ages. You cannot play it with your nieces & nephews, nor with your grandma. You play it only with other people who want a challenging game where you're seriously pitted against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
willythesnitch wrote:

It turns out that he actually does see value in these threads.

Turns out I was taking part in a joke that it turns out isn't a joke. Must say, it feels a little awkward.

Bah! Nothing to feel awkward about. You still said something that you prefer over both of the two options. There's still value in that as opposed to just giving reasons why the two aren't comparable .

Oh ya, my preference of the two options is definitely Ticket to Ride. Not much of a Ticket to Ride fan though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Advanced Squad Leader is better than either.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

Ticket to Ride is like a nilla waffer. Through the Ages is like a Prime Rib With a baked potato with sour creme, chives, and a Caesar salad..

I love prime rib.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
MWChapel wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Ticket to Ride is like a nilla waffer. Through the Ages is like a Prime Rib With a baked potato with sour creme, chives, and a Caesar salad..

I love prime rib.

Where's a good Prime Rib in Austin? I haven't found one.

But Hoovers makes an EXCELLENT Smoked Sirloin. But I'm seriously jonesing for a good Prime Rib.

Enquiring minds NEED to know!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
MWChapel wrote:

I love prime rib.

Ya, well I can just go to the cupboard and grab some nilla waffers and go back to my computer and snack and play away. No way I'm investing the time and energy to cook Prime Rib, Potatoes, Salad and deal with cleaning up afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're playing a short game and i don't feel like bogging down my brain then I would go for TtR.

If I have a couple of hours to kill, then I would definitely go for TtA.

Overall however I would greatly prefer TtA. They are both so different games, that is kinda tricky to compare them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are favorites, but I like Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Never played TtA but TtR bores the crap out of me. I find TtR:E a little better but still lacking. It's way too long for the depth of decisions to be made; it would be fine if the game was 30 mins or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Those are very different games and they're going to appeal to very different people. Not really that comparable at all.
Agree, I mean it's like asking do you want french fries or toilet paper.

I hawen't played enough TtA to give my assessment though I was really hosed the last time I played. With TtR, I find that there are better gateway games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TtR or TtA?... T&A FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is one of the first games I trade away. Through the Ages is one of my few 10s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
How is this a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question feels like an anthropology experiment..... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like and play both. I usually play TtR with casual gamers or family. I play TtA with my more serious gamer friends.

I see them as completely different games satisfying completely different needs. TtR gets me an enjoyable experience with players who might otherwise prefer to watch the TV or some other non-social experience. TtA gives me the brain-burning joy of civilization building.

If I had to choose, I'd say I like TtA better (though I play TtR more). But I think it's hard to compare the games because they are too dissimilar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Ticket to Ride is very boring, there's not much game there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing TtR with TtA is like comparing MM to TC or perhaps PaT to CiS. I prefer comparing ReR to RtI and WLS to NW.

Or maybe, when I think about it, ToC to WDPTAA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.